Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 11:18 AM

176 posts, read 645,634 times

Advertisements

lottamoxie--

My husband and I spent 2 years here looking for a home just like what you're describing. The homes were either too big, too old, too far away, too.... It was a really frustrating experience as we just didn't want a bigger home, but wanted something small and nice. We ended up having to make some trade-offs and are in the process of building a tract home that is bigger than what we need and on a smaller lot than what we need. (2200 sq. ft.) Hubby will be glad to have less yard work, but we sure wouldn't have minded a lot with more natural areas/trees (where you don't need to do yard work!) We are not thrilled about having to heat/cool a bigger place, but will just close off the upstairs part of the house unless we have guests. As one of the previous posters mentioned, land is getting really expensive here so many of the builders are focusing on more square footage to make a profit.
I feel a bit guilty about having such a big home just for the two of us, but who knows? Maybe in the future we'll need to take in our elderly parents...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 07:02 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,767 times
What you are describing exists in SE Cary in the "Commons" section of the Park at West Lake. Homes of 1400-2100 SF size with very nice finishes and build quality by L&L of Raleigh priced from $250K-ish to low $300s. Selling quite well I might add. Another option is the Cottage section of Sunset Oaks built by DJF Builders-similar SF and Price Points. The lots are small but the homes are VERY nicely done. Both of the above builders do the bulk of their business at 400 to 800K and the smaller homes have quite a few of the same touches.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:44 AM

28 posts, read 60,299 times
Well, it's been a year since the last post here so have any of the builders taken note of the OP's question since then? I too, as an empty nester, would like a smaller home with all the custom features/upgrades w/o all the interior space to maintain. However, I still would like a reasonable sized yard.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:01 PM

69 posts, read 172,717 times
I think the best option is probably to buy an older home and renovate, sadly. Some of the "too small" sub 2000sqft houses can be bought reasonably. I'd rather have dogs than kids so an older house on a larger lot is what I hope to find in several years when I get ready to buy.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:49 PM

64 posts, read 170,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
I would love a $300k custom home that has top of the line everything thats 2000 sq ft. Good starter home for a young couple who may have a kid in the next 5 years. Is it possible to build this in Cary/Apex or would one have to venture further out?
IMO, you should be able to do that. Look at what North Hills Homes is doing in Flowers Plantation for ~ $200k. It's one of the closest things I've seen to what you are describing.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:31 PM

28 posts, read 60,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catseye View Post
IMO, you should be able to do that. Look at what North Hills Homes is doing in Flowers Plantation for ~ $200k. It's one of the closest things I've seen to what you are describing.

I like everything I saw on their website, except the location. It's 48+ miles one way to work for me.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:40 PM

513 posts, read 1,605,257 times
Impact is building a few 2000-2200 sf homes in Highcroft Village that would suit your needs. The lot price is what drives up the cost/sf.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:45 PM

767 posts, read 1,848,222 times
I think the least expensive route would be to buy a home this size in an established neighborhood and add the custom/high end finishes. The only problem is, you'd probably price yourself out of the neighborhood if you ever tried to sell....its a catch 22 around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary