U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 06-04-2008, 08:45 PM

48 posts, read 116,973 times
Thank you for your input. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't have a good experience, but glad that you are happy with the switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutthekids View Post
I guess it depends on what you are seeking for your children. We know many families who have left St. Michael's.

Maybe there have been some changes. I'm sure that we received such an unacceptable response, or lack of one, that even big changes would not have swayed us to stay there.

We were very disappointed that after so many years of supporting the parish, from the time it was across from Cary Towne Center to the beer warehouse to its current location, that the lack of concern was appalling. Years of being members of the St. Michael's community were brushed away with a "you can leave if you don't like it" response.

I would argue it is not the most beloved church in Cary. Again, caution is warranted.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-04-2008, 09:26 PM

1,032 posts, read 2,129,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtheredonethat View Post
I used to be a teacher there and although it is a beautiful school, it is a wealthy pressure cooker. I taught 6-7-8 grade math and parents would come in all the time upset that their child had a 96 grade point average and why not a 99-100% average. The pressure for these wealthy parents children to perform to amazingly high standards was crazy. Kids would cry in class and were very stressed out. These same parents were the ones that would keep their children out due to their busy social calendars.
Unless you have lots of money and time, do your child a favor and look at another school. The school for the most part favors the wealthy families that donate thousands of dollars a year. They have a thing called "Time (the amount of volunteering you can do" "Talent (what you can do for the school" and "Treasure (how much money you can give the church/school"
People are judged based on this scale of Time/Talent/Treasure.
It is just a snobbery of people who believe that they are better than everyone else and that perfection is above anything else.
I left there to teach in Durham where the kids were needy and parents were thankful and real.
But, it is a pretty school with amazing resources, all that money can buy.
Wow, middle schoolers crying in class? Actually, I'm not surprised.. after pulling 8 years in Catholic school.. we found the majority of kids were socially immature, selfish, and not exactly self - reliant. We chose to ignore it for many years due to the personal preference, environment, academics, stability, etc. Sorry your experience wasn't a good one, I'm sure you are making a difference in Durham schools....

Last edited by weluvwakeforest; 06-04-2008 at 09:40 PM..

Unread 06-05-2008, 01:43 PM

13 posts, read 32,503 times
Default st michaels

We toured St. Michaels and I agree with what people have said. It is a very snobby school. If you are a down to earth person you wouldnt fit in!! I know we sure wouldnt! We decided against the school immediately after the tour... St Marys in Apex is a much better school with more "normal" kids and parents!!! The church is full of friendly people as opposed to SNOBS!!
Thats what we observed anyway...

Unread 06-05-2008, 01:56 PM

79 posts, read 137,794 times
Wow!!! is all I can say. Being a devout catholic is saddens me to hear how harsh and critical some people can be. If something is not a good fit for you then that's just the way it is, why do we have to be so mean about comments we make?? I just don't understand the need for that. It saddens me......from my own experience with people, sometimes you need to give people the benefit of the doubt and first impressions may not be what they seem.

Unread 06-06-2008, 09:59 AM

I completely agree with you. Unfortunately people sometimes see others they perceive as different from themselves as not being "normal".

It's also funny how I've heard people speak of others as "snobs" just because they appear to have money (not implying that is the case with posters in this thread b/c I have no idea what the situation was for them-just speaking from my own experiences).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas965 View Post
sometimes you need to give people the benefit of the doubt and first impressions may not be what they seem.

Unread 06-09-2008, 01:36 PM

22 posts, read 31,577 times
Default catholic or not

We were members of the parish for 10 years. And yes...I'm embarrassed to admit that we did dump thousands of dollars into the capital fund campaign and more. But there really isn't any room there for catholics that will not "toe the party line."

Try suggesting that the parish participate with St. Andrew's in housing the homeless and needy a weekend a month...or even a weekend a year. When we were there, the school administration wouldn't even let the oldest early childhood center class come to observe kindergarten for part of the day. It was almost like the preschool was part of a different parish.

There is an egregious waste of time, talent and treasure going on there. And when a parish member dares to "make waves," they are kicked unceremoniously to the door...but covertly...so as not to make anyone look bad.

It makes me sad because there are some wonderful people there. Unfortunately they aren't running the show. It's not about money. It is about working for the good of the community and living our catholic values.

Unread 06-20-2008, 07:00 AM

13 posts, read 32,503 times
Im not saying they are snobs becuase they are rich. I have no idea how much money any of them have. My idea of a snob is someone who looks you up and down when they meet you (saw tons of it at the school open house) and they would fight you til death if it meant they could get their kid in before yours. Now THAT doesnt sound very Catholic to me!

Unread 06-20-2008, 10:00 AM

8 posts, read 16,114 times
Dear CAS965,
How is your experience in St Catherines. I tried to apply there but the admissions staff was rather unprofessional and somewhat indifferent. Before attempting to share with me the education they could offer my child, they asked if I was planning on becoming a "paying" member of their church.

I am looking for academic excellence. Do you feel your children are receiving a good education at St Catherines.... Your thoughts are sincerely appreciated
Lori Cali

Unread 06-21-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdapex View Post
Im not saying they are snobs becuase they are rich. I have no idea how much money any of them have. My idea of a snob is someone who looks you up and down when they meet you (saw tons of it at the school open house) and they would fight you til death if it meant they could get their kid in before yours. Now THAT doesnt sound very Catholic to me!

It definitely doesn't. Sad to hear that it's like that. We are from the DC area and hope to end up in RTP someday. We frequently visit Cary to get to know the area and attend this church when we're there. Since our children are in Catholic school here we were strongly considering St. Michael's if we move. The tuition is very reasonable compared to what we pay in our area and the campus was beautiful.

I have to admit that when I initally posed the quesion I was expecting (hoping) that the responses would be glowing (considering the warmth and welcome we have always received by the people we have met in Cary). I truly appreciate all of the input and although we would make the final decision based on our own experience there, it sounds like St. Michael's would not be the right place for us.

Thank you to all of you for sharing your opinions, Kristin

Unread 06-21-2008, 10:50 AM

1,032 posts, read 2,129,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriCali View Post
Dear CAS965,
How is your experience in St Catherines. I tried to apply there but the admissions staff was rather unprofessional and somewhat indifferent. Before attempting to share with me the education they could offer my child, they asked if I was planning on becoming a "paying" member of their church.

I am looking for academic excellence. Do you feel your children are receiving a good education at St Catherines.... Your thoughts are sincerely appreciated
Lori Cali
I've heard this before.. they need to insure income to fund the huge building projects yet to come. The preschool has done very well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary