Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Best RTP school districts, safety issues, crime rates, home prices, cost of living, close proximity to neighborhood parks, small lot sizes, Durham’s schools, Brier Creek mansions

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 10:15 AM

3 posts, read 8,482 times

Advertisements

Just trying to get an idea of the best areas to live that's close (within a 10 minute drive) to the RTP, while still being in a safe area with good schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 12:47 PM

5,728 posts, read 17,530,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by secret View Post
Just trying to get an idea of the best areas to live that's close (within a 10 minute drive) to the RTP, while still being in a safe area with good schools.
10 minutes? You can't even get out of RTP in 10 minutes during rush hour

Seriously though, RTP is a big place. Where is your office building in RTP?

Old 03-12-2007, 02:15 PM

2,834 posts, read 11,997,423 times
I think *most* people would say cary (the part of cary that is closer to rtp) and morrisville. Both have excellent schools, the home prices are a little high, and the lot sizes are a little small, but you pay for the "convenience" of living close to the park.

I would also agree with the pp, in that it depends on where you are working in the park also!

Leigh

Old 03-12-2007, 02:27 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,387,272 times
Well, for the closeness factor, nothing beats Durham...it pretty much engulfs the RTP borders nowadays. And the parts closest to RTP are pretty darn safe.
There are varying opinions about Durham's schools....but once you dig deeper below the surface of test scores, etc, you realize Durham's schools are about as good as Wake's, once you account for differences in socioeconomic demographics.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:30 PM

653 posts, read 2,978,489 times
I agree w/ Leigh, probably north Cary and Morrisville would work. Also, you can check areas in NW Raleigh, such as Brier Creek or Harrington Grove. Maybe closer to 15 minutes, but still as close as you can get.

With all of these areas, be aware of the airport and the plane noise. Depending on the exact location, it may or may not be a required disclosure, but in all of these locations, you will be able to hear planes to some degree. This shouldn't necessarily deter you, since these are all terrific areas to live, with good schools, and great convenience to RTP as well as other amenities. Just something to keep in mind!

Old 03-12-2007, 03:05 PM

83 posts, read 351,389 times
As it has been said in previous postings, it all depends on where you work in RTP! The Morrisville area toward RTP is growing really fast. There are several subdivisions going up out in that area although they are somewhat higher than other areas. Since RTP has been a driving force of the growth in this area, I would say that any investment near RTP will be a good investment.
You should be good with the schools out in that area. You can check out www.ncreportcard.org or www.wcpss.net for more information.
Good luck!

Old 03-12-2007, 03:20 PM

842 posts, read 3,221,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by secret View Post
Best place to live? Depends GREATLY on how much money you're willing to spend. You can get yourself into a nice $2,000,000 mansion in Brier Creek.
Other than that, 10 minutes away is not a very large area at all. Durham schools aren't as good as Wake, but they're still ok. So if you're not too concerned about schools, then you open yourself up to alot of potential locations in Durham county.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:46 PM

15 posts, read 58,827 times
I live in neighborhood at the crossroads of Olive Chapel and Hwy 55 and I have to say that since the completion of Hwy 55 from Apex at the new Target, it has made the commute to RTP (Alexander Dr area) wonderful. Anything past the downtown area is going to be a drag (sorry south Apex, Holly Springs and Fuquay), the traffic is horrible! I don't sit in traffic jams anymore at anytime of the day (I am on flex time for my kids). Apex is a great area to raise kids, it has all the new shops, and lots of young families with kids to play with. The only thing that is missing is a decent pizza place, they keep closing down! We are on year-round school calendar, by choice, and my kids love the breaks that they get. I am sad to say that we are moving due to a reorg at my husband's company to Greenville, SC. We will have to do the traditional calendar and my kids are diappointed about the move and the school calendar schedule. No choices there!

Old 03-14-2007, 03:52 PM

106 posts, read 731,981 times
10 minute drive to RTP + near good schools isn't really reality.

Even in Cary you'll be driving 15+ mins plus if you're on the northwest tip of Cary and work in the southern parts of RTP.

Still, I'll recommend Cary if you're loaded, Apex if you're fairly loaded, and Holly Springs if you're a poor lad like me

Old 03-14-2007, 09:15 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,896,669 times
Hard to get closer to the Park than Durham. South Durham is close to RTP and Southpoint mall, with affordable housing prices. The 'diversity' of Durham sadly scares off many people, but as RaleighRob said -- take a close look at the numbers and talk to parents about their actual experiences in the schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary