Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 04:31 PM

3 posts, read 14,875 times

Advertisements

We recently re-located to NC and are looking at buying a new construction house around 300K. We checked out Pulte in Morrisville, Lennar and M/I homes in Cary.

Personally we found M/I homes in Stonebridge community of Cary to have the best value for the money. Does it offer a good value for the 300K+ price range? Do you agree/disagree?

Any thoughts on this topic are truly appreciated.

P.S - I would like to extend a BIG thank you to each one of you out there on this forum. Your have truly contributed to making this a wonderful and informative forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 05:30 PM

300 posts, read 973,097 times
My co-worker purchased an M/I home and he's very happy with it. However, our RE agent steered us away from M/I (she said she didn't think their quality was that good). I think Lennar would be the better choice at Stonewater.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:34 PM

513 posts, read 1,605,085 times
from a subcontractor standpoint...lennar is top notch

Old 01-28-2009, 06:24 PM

49 posts, read 188,546 times
Hello! We've never been to Stonebridge, but we do live in an M/I Home. We have been in the house since it was built in 2003. We haven't had any problems with the build or materials quality and have been more than happy with the house. Good Luck!

Old 01-28-2009, 07:53 PM

12 posts, read 41,096 times
M/I also offers 30 yrs structural warrently... They also have a promo going for 30yrs fixed @ 3.825%. Lennar community is not fully developed as compared to M/I.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:24 PM

1 posts, read 5,447 times
Question Would never buy a lennar home!

We are renting a Lennar townhome (new) and the quality is shoddy at best. We also looked at the M/I homes in Stonebridge and are impressed at the build quality. Lennar seems to put a lot of flash into their homes, but not quality. I am not sure what they insulated this home with, but we are constantly feeling drafts throughout the home and our electric/gas bill is higher than it was in our 2900 square foot St. Lawrence home. We also are thinking the ducts must be clogged with construction dirt (we have to change our 3M 3 month filters every month). We found a rather large pile of sawdust underneath our refrigerator that looked like they installed the refrigerator right over it or swept it underneath.

I really like the M/I homes in Stonebridge but am concerned why they are not selling (Lennar has continued to sell in the current market). Any thoughts?

Old 01-29-2009, 06:01 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,663,708 times
I like them both. Stonebridge is a beautiful community and so will be Stonewater (not as far along). Stonewater is coming out this Spring with larger lots - not yet publicized. I believe they will be around 1/3 of an acre. The price point will be at about 300K.. but it will be basic. They are trying to fill the need and you will pay for any upgrade in this section. Lennar/Stonewater will also have a program for 6month of paying your mortgage should you loose your job within the first 2 years of owning the home. I think the only reason (maybe) that StoneBridge isn't doing as well, could be that the New Expressway that is proposed is very near that subdivision. Depending on where you are in that subdivision.. the unknown to some people is just something they don't want to deal with right now. However, that is purely a guess. I usually point out these things to buyers so they can make their own informed decisions.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:11 AM

3 posts, read 14,875 times
Thanks to everyone for your input. It surely helps us make an informed decision.

I think it will be safe bet (then other new construction communities) to go with M/I homes especially with the deails on offer like an unheard 3.875 APR!

Apart from that, what do you think about this neighbourhood in Cary.

Janecj,

Which expressway were you referring to? I-540? That one seems to be far away from the Stonebridge community. Or is there some new/other expressway that I am missing here?!

One and the only minor concern (at this time) I had with that one was the incessant traffic at the intersection of Kildaire Farm Rd and Ten Ten Rd. With that said, I dont see any other showstopper issues out here.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:33 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,663,708 times
[quote=ac774;7226391]
Janecj,

Which expressway were you referring to? I-540? That one seems to be far away from the Stonebridge community. Or is there some new/other expressway that I am missing here?!

So sorry... I gave wrong information. The development I was thinking of is Greystone that has the new expressway that is near.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:45 AM

475 posts, read 1,575,333 times
Let me add my .02 to M/I. We are currently in a M/I home, been there for the last 8 years. We love it. The structural warranty is great peace of mind, we have had not major issues ( actually no minor ones too), and the entire building experience through them was flawless.After we build our through them, 5 other co-workers/friends did too, and noone has anything negative to say about them.My only gripe is back when we built ours, I wish their designs were a little more stylish...I have not seen recent designs, but back then, Pulte and Centex had awesome open plans. Though I would never go with Pulte, we backed out two days before closing with them due to horrendous quality of work and reps who were rude or had no clue what they were talking about...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary