Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2009, 02:31 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,465,557 times

Advertisements

We moved here last July from another state, so we didn't have the luxury of figuring out what sports camps there are for teens in the Durham area. My daughter is involved in volleyball, basketball and track (more specifically discus, shot put and 100-meter dash) and I'd really like to get her signed up in these sports during the summer months (so she won't get "rusty"). Is there somewhere I can go to find out about sports camps or programs that will be taking place in the summer? A few people have mentioned AAU (is that right?), but they didn't know how to find out what was going on and when. In our old community she was very limited because they targeted younger children and not necessarily teens and I've been told that isn't the case here.

Thanks!

Sena
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 07:18 AM

87 posts, read 237,401 times
This is the link to AAU for girls here in NC. North Carolina AAU Girls' Basketball

I don't know of volleyball or track camps but I do know that some of the private high schools have summer sports camps. UNC has summer camp for basketball for girls also, you might check out what other camps they may offer. Sylvia Haskell does a great job with her girls basketball camp and I can say it was a quality experience for my daughter.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:22 PM

467 posts, read 1,774,515 times
Not sure if your daughter is in middle or high school, but in either case, touch base w/ her coaches at school. They often have suggestions and connections, and especially at the high school level, there may be practices, clinics, and camps in which the team as a whole participates.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:20 PM

4 posts, read 11,417 times
Leesville Road High School, which is not far from Durham in Raleigh, has summer sports camps in almost all sports, both boys and girls. The poster above is also correct that Sylvia Hatchell runs an excellent girls basketball camp.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisalrenee View Post
Not sure if your daughter is in middle or high school, but in either case, touch base w/ her coaches at school. They often have suggestions and connections, and especially at the high school level, there may be practices, clinics, and camps in which the team as a whole participates.
My daughter is in high school (10th grade) and attends DSA. I asked about a basketball and volleyball camps there this summer and the athletic director is unsure, so I'm trying to get something else lined up. I will definitely check out UNC.

Thanks everyone!

Sena

Old 01-31-2009, 08:43 PM

140 posts, read 440,943 times
This isn't a camp but for track you may want to look into the Durham Striders. They have quite a reputation. There is also another track group called Triangle Champions that I think is Durham based. I don't have experience with either but I know the Striders have been around for years and have a reputation for outstanding performance. I think the Triangle Champions are newer. I think there is a group called Pacers in Carrboro.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by durhammom View Post
this isn't a camp but for track you may want to look into the durham striders. They have quite a reputation. There is also another track group called triangle champions that i think is durham based. I don't have experience with either but i know the striders have been around for years and have a reputation for outstanding performance. I think the triangle champions are newer. I think there is a group called pacers in carrboro.
Thank you!!

Old 05-14-2009, 12:33 PM

3 posts, read 9,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senalj View Post
We moved here last July from another state, so we didn't have the luxury of figuring out what sports camps there are for teens in the Durham area. My daughter is involved in volleyball, basketball and track (more specifically discus, shot put and 100-meter dash) and I'd really like to get her signed up in these sports during the summer months (so she won't get "rusty"). Is there somewhere I can go to find out about sports camps or programs that will be taking place in the summer? A few people have mentioned AAU (is that right?), but they didn't know how to find out what was going on and when. In our old community she was very limited because they targeted younger children and not necessarily teens and I've been told that isn't the case here.

Thanks!

Sena
Yea, it is AAU, I've been looking for a team to become a part of for a while now too, but haven' thad any luck with it. If you find any information before I do, please email me m@ [EMAIL="purepassion4thagame32@yahoo.com"]purepassion4thagame32@yahoo.com[/EMAIL]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary