Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 12:22 PM

26 posts, read 227,019 times

Advertisements

It seems that most of the international flight goes via other states. That means boarding smaller planes to some other state every time you are flying overseas.
I had lot of bad experience on smaller planes. Turbulence, BAD turbulence, temperature going crazy, no food and lot of engine sound etc etc .. I am really scared to board 30-60 seater plane. I know that it is riskier to drive on road than to fly in air but I AM SCARED..

Do you have any direct economical flights for Europe??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2007, 12:29 PM

124 posts, read 168,126 times
As far as USAirways, there are plenty of direct flights overseas-- departing from Charlotte. Sorry.

http://www.usairways.com/awa/content/routemap.aspx

Old 03-13-2007, 12:35 PM

136 posts, read 751,598 times
If your that petrified, ride out to Charlotte. Or get a ride To Charlotte and fly from there. Don't put yourself in a position that you're going to be too frightened.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:49 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
I know raleigh has direct flights to london, but I don't know where you are going in europe. When I flew to new zealand, we did have a hop to charlotte (20 minutes) but it was on a large plane. I think if you call the airlines, you can tell them you want a connection that is a larger plane.

Leigh

Old 03-13-2007, 01:00 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,405,822 times
RDU flies directly to London (Gatwick) and Toronto. That's pretty much it as far as international flights. Most other Euro flights would need to be via DC, NY or Boston I think.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:04 PM
bta

284 posts, read 1,885,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina888 View Post
It seems that most of the international flight goes via other states. That means boarding smaller planes to some other state every time you are flying overseas.
I had lot of bad experience on smaller planes. Turbulence, BAD turbulence, temperature going crazy, no food and lot of engine sound etc etc .. I am really scared to board 30-60 seater plane. I know that it is riskier to drive on road than to fly in air but I AM SCARED..

Do you have any direct economical flights for Europe??
If you fly USAirways and go through Charlotte, the flight from RDU shouldn't be on a small plane. The USAirways non-stops from RDU to Charlotte are on Boeing 737-300s and Airbus A319s. These are pretty big planes (125 seats). The smallest plane you'll get is a Canadair Regional Jet 900 - that still seats around 80.

As a side note, the Canadair Regional Jet is my favorite plane for short flights. I fly to Washington, DC (DCA) and back every week on this plane. It's small (boards fast), it's quick (400-450 knots), it's very stable, and it's quiet. I prefer it over the Boeing 737 and the Airbus A319 for short flights.

Old 03-13-2007, 05:00 PM

41 posts, read 184,707 times
I travel A LOT for work, and I can tell you that the little planes leaving from Raleigh really aren't that bad. If you're connecting for an international flight (and you're not going to London from RDU), the smaller plane that's going to get you to the bigger city is seriously going to be so quick, you're not going to have enough time to get annoyed. Maybe scared, but trust me - it's not a big deal.
DC, BWI, and Philly are less than an hour flight (and the NYC airports aren't that much further). And like bta said, the Charlotte flight on US Airways is a big plane and only takes 20 minutes.

Old 03-13-2007, 05:03 PM

98 posts, read 637,114 times
AA has a direct flight to London every evening at 6:45pm using a huge Boeing 777 aircraft - from London Gatwick you can get cheap flights to almost every European city. I want everyone to use it so they don't cancel the flight lol

Old 03-13-2007, 07:20 PM

136 posts, read 751,598 times
Getting to most Northeast Airports (Philly, NY, ect.) are full sized planes. MOST flights are that way. I know Southwest is good for that. But like US to PHilly is a smaller plane.

Old 03-13-2007, 07:58 PM

26 posts, read 227,019 times
Default thanks for your replies

I travel to Europe/Asia almost once a year and also try to visit my family with in USA. I guess I just have to try different airlines to figure out the best one..

I will try to go by some of the suggestions...

Being in Boston, that was never been a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary