Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 11:02 AM

635 posts, read 3,082,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
I still say Tereros is the best overall. It is a tad bit Americanized, but the consitency and amount of food for price can't be beat. We ate there the other night and my meal was not served on a plate, it was platter. Large enough to feed a small group of people.
We give a to Tereros in Cary as well.

The following is what we posted about Sanford's sheer number and variety of "Mexican" restaurants:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...nt-review.html

Quote:
It's true, we do have a lot of "Mexican"(actually several authentic Central American restaurants have come and gone as well) here in Sanford. We have a vibrant Hispanic community here in Sanford, again both from Mexico and throughout Central America, and have many restaurants run by actual families from those regions.

Some of the restaurants have had trouble surviving though as many Americans go there looking for Americanized or Tex-Mex "Mexican" and are unfortunately turned off by the more traditional fare offered, which often is slightly less over the top spicy, etc. But once one finds the wide variety of more authentic and good food available, the authentic food is much more preferable than the chain restaurants.

We also have several authentic Mercados(markets) here in Sanford if you are looking for supplies for real latin food. They are always a blast to shop in.

And we have several of both restaurants and mercados on Horner/421 to be sure, and we have one down in Jonesboro that is ESPECIALLY good: El Molcajete Restaurant‎ 2741 Lee Ave, Sanford, NC‎ - (919) 708-6853‎. Be careful though, they'll stuff you until you explode as the portions are huge

A good place in Cary is Torero's Mexican Restaurant‎ -
1207 Kildaire Farm Rd, Cary, NC‎ - (919) 468-8711‎. When we were living up in Cary we loved this place.

Al
A new restaurant called Salvmex also just opened up on Horner Blvd in the cute little house that has been home to several family run "Mexican" restaurants, and most recently a bakery. It is very CA and Mexican influenced(hence the name) so is somewhat bland in comparison to Cal/Tex-Mex, but is still very good if you like that type.

I still REALLY recommend El Molcajete in Sanford though... it really is the BEST we've found anywhere since moving to NC from CA so far

Al
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 04:56 PM

767 posts, read 1,842,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
But I haven't, so please enlighten me. I've been to southern California on a few occasions, but don't recall what I ate. Is it just the spice/pepper thing, or is there more to it?

If I think of cheap Tex-Mex, I think of ground beef with taco seasoning mix, corn chips/fried corn tortillas, canned Chili-con-carne, and Velveeta-style cheese sauce. But that is CHEAP Tex-Mex like you'd find at any of the fast food places (Taco Bell, Taco Bueno) or some of the semi-fast food places (Don Pablos, Panchos). Ugh
I just looked up Tex Mex, because honestly, coming from CA, I'm more familiar with CA mex. Wikipedia said restaurants that serve tex mex are On the Border and Moes...I think thats a great description. Black beans are always a key ingredient I think of in tex mex. What I like are enchiladas with red sauce (with chili powder) creamy pinto beans, tamales, tacos with fresh shells and shredded beef. Lots and lots of cheese. There is definitely something different about the spices, but I couldn't tell you exactly what.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:32 PM

5,728 posts, read 17,530,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoisbetter View Post
I just looked up Tex Mex, because honestly, coming from CA, I'm more familiar with CA mex. Wikipedia said restaurants that serve tex mex are On the Border and Moes...I think thats a great description. Black beans are always a key ingredient I think of in tex mex. What I like are enchiladas with red sauce (with chili powder) creamy pinto beans, tamales, tacos with fresh shells and shredded beef. Lots and lots of cheese. There is definitely something different about the spices, but I couldn't tell you exactly what.
Isn't that funny. I would never consider Moe's to be Tex Mex. I've never considered any of the "counter service burrito" places (e.g., Moe's, Chipotle, Quedoba, etc) to be Tex Mex. They use beans and white rice all rolled up in a flour tortilla. I'd never seen that in TX so I figured it must be a southern California thing. I rarely saw any black beans being used in TX. Usually it was pinto beans, as you say. Some of the "fancier" restaurants would use black beans to separate themselves from the run-of-the-mill Tex-Mex places. Now. . . . .On The Border. . . . . .yes. . . .I would consider that to be big time Tex Mex. Tamales are very popular in TX. So are tacos (hard shelled). . . .but they tend to use the ground beef with taco seasoning that I mentioned earlier. What kind of cheese do they use in CA? I never understood why, but Tex-Mex tends to use cheddar, colby, and monterey jack. Also the crappy Velveeta "processed cheese food" is used in cheaper places.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:42 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,000,674 times
To put this in perspective, one couldn't find any Mexican food in Raleigh when my family moved from San Jose in 1974. When we moved here, my mother invited the boss' I think that the closest thing to diversity in food was Kanki Japanese Steakhouse and that German deli (can't remember the name) in Crabtree. And, frankly, I am not sure that the Kanki was there when we first arrived. So, for all those who complain about the bagels not being as good as NYC, the Mexican food not being as good as CA, the Polish food not being as good as Chicago, etc....remember, almost NONE of it even existed here in the 70s.
I don't remember seeing a bagel until I was in college in the early 80's. I certainly couldn't find anyone who knew what ceviche was. Nobody served Tapas. Indian food was non-existent. All that was available was pretty much some local and national fast food joints, some family style restaurants, fried fish houses like Creekside Seafood and steak joints. For a fancy night out, it usually meant Angus Barn every time or, if that was too rich for your blood, The Peddler in Oak Park.
The Irregardless was probably the first avant-garde eatery in Raleigh when it opened in 1975 with their all vegetarian menu. That was freaky for Raleigh! But, that brave move was the first baby step in really expanding the culinary options for the city's residents.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:46 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,907,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdatlas View Post
Tonali - Durham, NC, 27707 - Citysearch

According to some of the ladies in my Tai Chi class Tonali's Restaurant in Durham is the place to go for organic Mexican food. It is supposedly a hole in the wall place where most of the staff don't speak English but the food is delicious.
Just a head's up; don't be like me and drive 20 minutes to get to this #$%@'n place only to find out that they aren't open on Sunday.

As we didn't know the area at all, we ended up at El Rodeo because it was the first Mexican place I could find.

Hey, they had decent Tacos Al Pastor, and best of all, they were #$%@ing OPEN. Seriously, what kind of restaurant isn't open on Sunday?? Oh, and big bonus for having absolutely no hours of operation posted on the door, chuckleheads.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:25 AM

767 posts, read 1,842,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Isn't that funny. I would never consider Moe's to be Tex Mex. I've never considered any of the "counter service burrito" places (e.g., Moe's, Chipotle, Quedoba, etc) to be Tex Mex. They use beans and white rice all rolled up in a flour tortilla. I'd never seen that in TX so I figured it must be a southern California thing. I rarely saw any black beans being used in TX. Usually it was pinto beans, as you say. Some of the "fancier" restaurants would use black beans to separate themselves from the run-of-the-mill Tex-Mex places. Now. . . . .On The Border. . . . . .yes. . . .I would consider that to be big time Tex Mex. Tamales are very popular in TX. So are tacos (hard shelled). . . .but they tend to use the ground beef with taco seasoning that I mentioned earlier. What kind of cheese do they use in CA? I never understood why, but Tex-Mex tends to use cheddar, colby, and monterey jack. Also the crappy Velveeta "processed cheese food" is used in cheaper places.
No, there are no cheese sauces in the CA mex food I ever had. Thats what you find on nachos at a ball game! The cheese is fresh shredded and then usually the whole plate is put under a broiler so it gets a little brown...yum! CA mex uses either cheddar, jack or cojita.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
No, there are no cheese sauces in the CA mex food I ever had. Thats what you find on nachos at a ball game! The cheese is fresh shredded and then usually the whole plate is put under a broiler so it gets a little brown...yum! CA mex uses either cheddar, jack or cojita.
OK. So even the cheese sounds similar, with the exception that I have seen some fast food places (e.g., taco bell, etc) in TX use cheese sauce.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:31 PM

2 posts, read 4,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherryweb View Post
How dare you mention authentic Mexican food without mentioning Chipotle, Moe's Southwest and Taco Bell. The fresh ingredients of Taco Bell, makes me feel like I am actually in Mexico, New Mexico that is.

All joking aside you do not need to go all the way to Carborro. In Raleigh, on Capital Boulevard there is a little hole in the wall with very decent Mexican food. A fresh salsa bar (carrots, radishes and onions) and the whole nine. I am not saying this place is the be all end all, I am just saying if you need a "rolled taco fix" or some fresh Menudo in addition to many other favorites, go to

Los Cuates‎ 3505 Capital or 4524 Old Wake Forest Rd. Owner is from San Diego.. 'nuff said!
I guess you have never been to New Mexico then.....

I moved to Durham from NM a few months ago, and have been looking for good Mexican/Tex-Mex/Cali-Mex/New Mexican food. I really haven't found much yet. The guys I work with took me to a Torero's, it was OK, but I kept asking "where's the flavor"...

I went to Dos Taquitos in Raleigh, which wasn't too bad, but was very crowded and dark.

Oh how I miss my green chiles.....

Old 02-18-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadliner View Post
I guess you have never been to New Mexico then.....
Oh how I miss my green chiles.....
There was a specialty grocery store in Plano TX that did a "Hatch Festival" every summer. They had a couple of guys out front roasting chilis in a big rotating drum. Oh man did that smell good. I usually buy a few pounds every summer when I see them in the stores here and roast them myself.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:24 PM

319 posts, read 1,475,345 times
Thumbs up Mexican Food Heaven

Quote:
My DH & I had heard about a place in Carrboro...which is quite a drive for us, but we had to try it. The place is called Fiesta Grill...its on 54 west of Carrboro (I think). Its pretty far out. But we made a day of it...did some shopping and then headed there for lunch. Hallelujah!!! Its the real thing folks!! We talked to someone who I think is the owner...he is from So Cal, and said he had the same problem when he moved here...no good Mex food! The beans, the rice were so good...they even had my much sought after Chili Verde!!! The chips are thick, homeade and crispy crunchy...some of the best I've ever had. Yummy salsa too. My husband said his taco, which had shredded beef (not ground) and a fresh crunchy shell was excellent. If you like CA Mex...this is it. It is NOT Tex Mex. I saw a plate of fajitas come out that smelled outstanding. I am so full I can hardly move, but don't care!!! I've been waiting for this meal for almost 4 yrs!!! By the way...the place is extremely small...only seats about 14 people total. We did a late lunch and had to wait about 15 minutes. But I'm not complaining

Ahhh!!!! I just got back from Fiesta Grille. I feel like I went to Mexican Food Heaven. When I tasted the chips and salsa, I knew you were on to a good thing. Then my enchiladas arrived. I got one beef and one chicken. Let's just say I no longer noticed my partner sitting at the table. Each bite of my food was spectacular. I did stop long enough to try her chicken mole. That was also phenomenal. The mole is homemade and amazing. They give you half a chicken smothered in mole for $10.95. She has enough for two more meals.

My friend, thank you! I will be driving from Durham to Chapel Hill for this place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary