U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-13-2007, 03:31 PM

2,476 posts, read 3,953,574 times

Advertisements

If you are planning to put an offer on a house with a well, is it common to say that you want to test the water and that it must have under x,y,z in contaminants? We are planning on doing this, but we are afraid that someone else might come in without that requirement and beat us out of the contract because of it. But if the chances are good that they will also want the water tested, then it would make my head feel better!

Thanks in advance if you have any insight into this!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2007, 07:49 PM

4,609 posts, read 5,217,878 times
I have had 3 houses that have had well water. 2 resale Houses, and 1 brand new. The resales ranged from 5 years old to 10 years old. And I had the well water tested; meaning I hired an independent. The third one which I had problems with after we moved in (the brand new home) I had to have the state test that one. The state was extremely helppful and explained alot. So i have made it a rule to have the water tested, but have never asked the sellers to do it.
All the tests had shown no contaminats. In the new house the problem was the pipe was too deep and sucking up the junk on the bottom.
All 3 of these houses were in Southern Granville County. And I am not sure where you are looking.
So not really sure I helped but this is what I did.

Old 03-13-2007, 07:53 PM

4,609 posts, read 5,217,878 times
excuse all my mispelled words and typos ....it has been a hard day for me.
*note to self.proofread.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:44 PM

2,476 posts, read 3,953,574 times
Thanks for your response. We would pay for the water testing and have it done by our inspector. We just want to make sure it passes our requirements. The house is in Mebane.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:12 PM

607 posts, read 1,713,952 times
we made the offer on our house, and with it we asked for them on a home inspection within $3K. So we hired a regular inspector, a ranon test, septic test, well water tested and a termite inspection and had our well checked. Thank goodness we did because our well was bad, they had to drop a new well at their expense. Plus the water test came back needing some bleach that is it. It is worth every penny. My recommendations is don't consider buying a house, without those tests.
Good luck.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:49 AM

1 posts, read 4,666 times
Testing Well water is an easy process, but you want to make sure you test it for all the problems that water with impurities could cause.

Last edited by mm34b; 06-29-2008 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: Edited to comply with Terms of Service - Offer of goods or services.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:45 PM

3 posts, read 5,350 times
What I have been told about well water in NC is that the well water quality is the responsibility of the well owner, and the state doesn't exercise any regulatory control over it.

When my house was built just over a year and a half ago, I asked my builder for a copy of the water test results. What I expected was a detailed water analysis report indicating organics, inorganics, VOCs, etc. What he told me was that he just gets back a go/no go report as a check-off to get the certificate of occupancy.

So 18+ months later, I have about $6k worth of water treatment equipment to treat the problems I KNOW a have (25 gpg hardness, heavy sediment, bacteria and low pH), without really ever having more than the "pool kit" analysis the water treatment companies offer.

Can someone suggest an independent (hopefully local) testing lab they've used that will give me a detailed water analysis report without trying to sell me anything (except the analysis, of course)??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary