Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2009, 06:11 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,917,295 times

Advertisements

I was killing some time on Sunday up on Hillsborough Rd on the edge of Cary when I saw a restaurant and market. The restaurant was closed, but I saw the market next door was open. "Around the World Market". It looked very tiny when I first walked in - but first impressions in this case were way off.

The place is actually pretty big. I like Indian food and cooking new things is exciting for me, so this place may be my new favorite store. Isles and isles of stuff, a lot of it I would have no clue what it is or how to use it! More lentils than I have ever seen in one place. Need a 20 pound bag of red lentils? No problem. Rice flours, tapioca - I even picked up a bag of semolina flour (I love making my own pasta, and semolina is awesome in that).

There was one thing, I should have made a note of the name - I can't figure out what the heck it could be. I'm assuming it is edible because it had nutritional information, but I didn't see ingredients. There was a sign - "absolutely no returns on ______" whatever the name of these things. They were bell shaped, some wrapped in celophane, others in burlap. Looked kind of like home-made glycerine soap. Had no odor I could detect. There were several sizes, from about soccer ball size down to softball size. Anyone know what those were? I think it was a short name that started with G, but I'm probably wrong.

So many spices...also a large selection of frozen foods and some fresh produce.

I searched the forums and the place has been mentioned before, but not too recently. I was impressed, so if you're looking to make Indian food I give this place 2 thumbs way up.

Last edited by arsbadmojo; 02-02-2009 at 06:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 06:17 AM

355 posts, read 1,502,431 times
Was it brown in color? If it was, it could be jaggery.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:26 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,917,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkal View Post
Was it brown in color? If it was, it could be jaggery.
Yes!!! That's what it wa called! Thank you...What is it???? (Off to Google now...)

Edit: Looks like crystalized suagrcane juice. Well there you go!

Old 02-02-2009, 06:34 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,095,387 times
My DH is Indian and likes going there as well. There are a few more Indian markets just up the street from there too on Chatham.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:09 AM

744 posts, read 1,261,973 times
Jaggery is crystalized sugar from date palm trees. Has a more complex flavor than sugarcane.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:45 AM

232 posts, read 1,030,693 times
Here you go: Jaggery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Its basically made from sugarcane juice and is extensively used in indian cooking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary