U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 07:40 AM

237 posts, read 437,047 times
Default Warning to parents YMCA Wakefield Pines Dr

First let me say that I think all YMCA's do a pretty good job and try to uphold rules/standards. However, this is a warning to anyone whose children go to the Wakefield YMCA after school. Friday, our son and a friend were playing basketball in the gym after school. They put their bags on the bench in the room with them. Let me now say before anyone else does, that the boys should have locked the bags up. However, they figured since they were in the room where they were playing they would be safe. There were two other people in there watching them play. One boy told his friend he needed to go call his mother. The boys played for another 5-10 minutes. When they went over to the bench to get their bags, they were gone. The bags were eventually found in the locker room in the toilets. However, the things that are a loss now are school books ruined in the toilet, money stolen and brand new cell phone stolen. When we parents arrived and filled out reports, we were told there had been a rash of thefts that week. I asked why no signs had been put up in the lobbly warning people of this. They had no good answer only that perhaps they should do this. I also suggested that cameras be put in the public areas so that you could view tapes later on in case situations like this occur in the future.
We were also told by someone working there that some boys were caught doing this last year and simply given a temporary punishment but have been allowed back in this year.
The phone was 3 weeks old. Although there was insurance on it, there is a $50 deductible. The Y is not willing to help with that. We don't know what is going to happen with the school books yet.
Again, I realize that we live in a very large, diverse area. However, a club like this that promotes good fellowship needs to be more responsible when it comes to our children and safety.
Please just tell your kids if they go there to either make sure their things are locked up or request to put them behind the desk. It's a shame the world has come to this, but we all must be more mindful. Hopefully this warning will save someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 07:51 AM

2,688 posts, read 4,600,144 times
mbj...this is nothing new, it has gone one for as long as we have been members of the YMCA. It also happens allot with the kids at the Wakefield High School locker rooms. If your kids play sports and lock there stuff in the lockers at the high school they tend to come back to cut open locks and everything missing or thrown on the floors. But that is for another thread.

Best bet is to take nothing of any value to the YMCA. Lock up everything you can and must take. Locks keep honest people honest anyway. The YMCA has really gone down hill in the last 4 years that we have been members. Sad to say.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:00 AM

Thanks. We have also experienced the Wakefield locker room nightmare. In the 8 months here, I can't tell you how much has been lost between the two. I think our kids are learning valuable lessons every day. Unfortunately, some of them are quite costly. If I can save another family though, I will. Appreciate your thoughts.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:52 AM

8,480 posts, read 15,419,795 times
Since the mgt didn't take action, take them to small claims court for negligence.

not protecting or warning members makes them totally liable.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:01 AM

7,934 posts, read 10,293,474 times
It's not just that YMCA; I had my wallet stolen from Gold's Gym and know someone else who had his wallet and clothes stolen out of his (locked) locker while he was in the shower! This is a danger of health clubs in general, where people leave valuables sitting around.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:41 AM

2,548 posts, read 6,151,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Since the mgt didn't take action, take them to small claims court for negligence.

not protecting or warning members makes them totally liable.
No it doesn't....

No court is going to find a YMCA liable for lost or stolen items, particularly when left out in the open.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:57 PM

At the very least, they have a moral obligation to let people know when something like this happens. If you read my post, I already accepted the fact that the boys should lock things in future. However, as we have heard and experienced, locks are also cut off lockers at times. I will save that for another time. The Y has the obligation to its guests, as any other gym does, to warn customers know there is a problem especially when a large portion of their revenue comes from families! You can't expect kids to have the same foresight as adults. When an organization takes the responsibility for and the money from kids for membership, they assume a certain amount of responsibility. Although they might not be found liable for the stolen items per se, they are negligent by not informing guests. For the record, the first thing the Raleigh Police asked, was if there were cameras anywhere on the facility. Can we guess the answer?

Old 02-02-2009, 01:59 PM

906 posts, read 1,400,603 times
mbjjbtb--Thanks for the warning. I agree with you that at the very least, the YMCA should post signs saying that there's been a rash of these thefts. Yes, everybody should be careful all the time but geesh, they should let people know when its happening. It would also encourage people to look out for each other, too. It is surprising that they don't have cameras anywhere.

I'm really peeved that the Y let the kids who were caught get off with only a temporary suspension. I wouldn't let them back in, period. They have an obligation to their law abiding members who are paying a significant fee to use the facilities.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:23 PM

Thanks Raleighjayne. By the way, my son said that they were telling people at the front desk today as they signed in to be careful. While that is a step in the right direction, it assumes that the people who are there stealing are full time members. It still doesn't deter the few quick hit and run boys out there. I don't subscribe to the vigilante tactics and certainly don't want to sound that way here, but I am a little tired of good people getting hit hard while we dance around trying not to offend the bad ones. I know my information is factual, because a man who has worked there for years was the one who helped my son and his friend find their things and told them about last years incidents. If the Y comes out and says they have a problem it might affect the membership. So now we know their priorities. Sorry, but in my book our families are worth more than that.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:32 PM

2,548 posts, read 6,151,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbjjbtb View Post
At the very least, they have a moral obligation to let people know when something like this happens. If you read my post, I already accepted the fact that the boys should lock things in future. However, as we have heard and experienced, locks are also cut off lockers at times. I will save that for another time. The Y has the obligation to its guests, as any other gym does, to warn customers know there is a problem especially when a large portion of their revenue comes from families! You can't expect kids to have the same foresight as adults. When an organization takes the responsibility for and the money from kids for membership, they assume a certain amount of responsibility. Although they might not be found liable for the stolen items per se, they are negligent by not informing guests. For the record, the first thing the Raleigh Police asked, was if there were cameras anywhere on the facility. Can we guess the answer?
I feel for you and your kids, I do.

This is a hard lesson to learn for kids but I guess I just see this differently.

Theft is a part of life, always has been always will be, doesn't matter the area you live in, certainly not isolated to any particular YMCA or gym or library or store or any other public location.

I learned this lesson personally over 35 years ago when a good friend of mine had items stolen from his locker at the Y we frequented in another part of the country.

I don't see the Y as negligent. Even if there had not been a "rash" of thefts one should always assume that leaving ones valuables unattended in a public area is not a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary