U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 09:58 AM

887 posts, read 2,800,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookyloo View Post
why are south/southeast raleigh (27610) home prices so cheap?
If you search on 27610, you'll get LOTS of discussions about that particular zip code. Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 01:14 PM

446 posts, read 868,531 times
That area has large mature lots...many over an acre with hardwoods. Real nice, but many homes were built in the early 90's and might need upgrades.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:00 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,018,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbis View Post
That area has large mature lots...many over an acre with hardwoods. Real nice, but many homes were built in the early 90's and might need upgrades.
We're slowly but surely replacing every polished brass doorknob, faucet, and light fixture

Old 03-03-2008, 02:41 PM

492 posts, read 1,136,396 times
I just bought an existing house in 27606 and agree with the "lots of land" in the satellite images. One thing you may be seeing is that large area that is owned by NC State for agricultural work along Lake Wheeler Road between Penny and Tryon. I would think this land would never be developed.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
We're slowly but surely replacing every polished brass doorknob, faucet, and light fixture
Us too. One knob,hinge and ceiling fan at a time! Don't know what to do about those white, fake cabinets though.....ouch!

Old 03-03-2008, 07:35 PM

I'm not sure what drives the fixation on "updating" everything. Used to be that a house that was 25 or 30 years old would get an update. Now it seems that people can't handle something being 10 years old. Is this the Home Depot and Lowes version of what Hallmark has done with holidays... just keep rolling out new ones? I mean fixtures, knobs, appliances, cabinets, etc... they aren't cloths. Its not like the new fashion line comes out and you have to change your wardrobe! We just bought a house built in '93 and we'll probably change a few things, but I'm not going to go crazy and rip everything out and put in new... although I will admit the draw is there to do it. But, I would personally rather spend the money putting in a new pool.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:59 AM

8,396 posts, read 15,196,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convergent View Post
I'm not sure what drives the fixation on "updating" everything. Used to be that a house that was 25 or 30 years old would get an update. Now it seems that people can't handle something being 10 years old. Is this the Home Depot and Lowes version of what Hallmark has done with holidays... just keep rolling out new ones? I mean fixtures, knobs, appliances, cabinets, etc... they aren't cloths. Its not like the new fashion line comes out and you have to change your wardrobe! We just bought a house built in '93 and we'll probably change a few things, but I'm not going to go crazy and rip everything out and put in new... although I will admit the draw is there to do it. But, I would personally rather spend the money putting in a new pool.
Not only newness. Much of the newer stuff is junk from China that has a very short useful life. Look at the light fixtures, plumbing fixtures, and door hardware to see the dramatic fall in quality.

Major mfrs like Moen are now outsourcing to Asia.

Newer homes have a shorter useful life than older ones.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Don't quite know what you're talking about. The fixtures, knobs, lighting, fans etc. in my 10 year house are cheap new construction crap from the 90's. Fake brass all over the place, looks real bad. What's wrong with a little new nickel here and there? I like the pool idea anyway.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:40 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,018,726 times
Quote:
But, I would personally rather spend the money putting in a new pool.
Oh, and a $20,000 pool isn't a waste of money? That's almost as bad as buying a boat

But wait. . . . . you already have a community pool

Old 03-04-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Oh, and a $20,000 pool isn't a waste of money? That's almost as bad as buying a boat

But wait. . . . . you already have a community pool
From an investment point of view... yes, a pool is a wasted of money. But I can swim in a pool and I can't swim in my fixtures and knobs. Actually, my wife and I are considering replacing some of this stuff in our '93 house... but I find myself wondering why??? There isn't anything wrong with it, other than I turn on all the home shows and they all are replacing it all for newer stuff. Shoot, if I went with those shows recommendations, I'd be covering my masonry fireplace with travertine or some other kind of tile. My guess is that in 10 years, the fad will be brass and masonry fireplaces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary