U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-02-2009, 10:45 PM

2,503 posts, read 5,835,841 times
Thumbs down Cary sets bad example during tough economic times

Imagine the gall!

Just last month the town of Cary held their annual employee recognition luncheon for about 650 town employees...

The employee of the year received a check for 1000.00

Was this a wise use of taxpayer dollars during these tough economic times?

NEWS RELEASE (http://www.townofcary.org/news/news2008/eoy2008.htm - broken link)

Wednesday was the town’s annual Employee’s luncheon. I greeted (shook hands) with 641 employees according to the Human Resource counter. Once everyone was seated I thanked the town staff for a great year and a job well done and wished them a happy holiday season.Cary Mayor’s Journal Page

Old 02-02-2009, 11:54 PM

7,735 posts, read 8,794,471 times
Touche!!! Rep points for you!

Old 02-03-2009, 03:24 AM

1,040 posts, read 2,213,716 times
This is classic. Thanks! I was beginning to think it was only Durham that was 'wasting' our taxpayer money

Old 02-03-2009, 05:17 AM

115 posts, read 225,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fester600 View Post
Speaking of which, this reminds me of the $10 million dollars that Cary is going to use improving it's sports facilities.

As Charlton Dude so appropriately put it:

Cary is setting a bad example in these times. While many people feel the need to tighten their financial belts, the city, err town continues to waste money.

A nice problem: How to spend $10 million - Local & State - News & Observer (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/1388559.html - broken link)
If they're having a hard time spending their "extra" $10M, they can send some to me! I've been out of work since September!

Old 02-03-2009, 05:22 AM

460 posts, read 798,194 times
Love it!

Old 02-03-2009, 05:26 AM

1,354 posts, read 3,736,451 times
Perfect - couldn't rep you since I have to spread it around, but what a waste!!!!!

Old 02-03-2009, 06:00 AM

1,229 posts, read 2,708,220 times
What are you guys upset over a $1000 SAVINGS BOND or the expense of the Luncheon? They spent $500 to reward their Employee of the Year. Maybe a Luncheon was unecessary, but feeding people food isn't unusual in most companies. When I worked for a lawfirm we were fed once a month. Big deal. Yeah we weren't the size of the Town of Cary, but we also didn't have the income the town has either. These types of things are nice and are good for employees. It makes them feel appreciated.

While it would be nice if the $10 million could be disbursed to the tax payers as a refund $81 isn't going to help anyone very much & since the money is coming from Wake Co. they need approval on how the money is spent.

Cary is a beautiful town with awesome parks and sports facilities. If you want to live somewhere that doesn't invest in these types of things MOVE! I think it's great we have such nice amenities here.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:06 AM

120 posts, read 431,159 times
...and a Tip of the Hat to bluedevilz

Old 02-03-2009, 06:07 AM

18,938 posts, read 28,304,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyCrash View Post
What are you guys upset over a $1000 SAVINGS BOND or the expense of the Luncheon? They spent $500 to reward their Employee of the Year. Maybe a Luncheon was unecessary, but feeding people food isn't unusual in most companies. When I worked for a lawfirm we were fed once a month. Big deal. Yeah we weren't the size of the Town of Cary, but we also didn't have the income the town has either. These types of things are nice and are good for employees. It makes them feel appreciated.

While it would be nice if the $10 million could be disbursed to the tax payers as a refund $81 isn't going to help anyone very much & since the money is coming from Wake Co. they need approval on how the money is spent.

Cary is a beautiful town with awesome parks and sports facilities. If you want to live somewhere that doesn't invest in these types of things MOVE! I think it's great we have such nice amenities here.
Kelly,

I know you mean well, but kinda like along a greenway where someone won't clean up after their dog, you have just stepped into a mini-troll to mini-troll tit-for-tat.

I would suggest you just avoid the thread...

Old 02-03-2009, 06:14 AM

2,082 posts, read 4,859,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyCrash View Post

Don't hate on bluedevilz. This thread is in response to the following thread:
Durham Sets Bad Example During Financial Hard Times

By the way, rep points for you bluedevilz! Tit for tat indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary