U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 04:51 PM

2,034 posts, read 3,943,001 times

Advertisements

"Raleigh, N.C. — The City Council on Tuesday asked City Attorney Tom McCormick to draft an ordinance designed to limit where people park in front of their homes."

Raleigh eyes limits on front-yard parking :: WRAL.com

Now this I love and I absolutely agree with. I don't know if Cary even has this rule. If they don't, I hope they adopt this plan. Nothing worse than seeing yards with cars parked on them. Reminds me of why I left the town I used to live in. Way to go Raleigh.

And it's not even an "HOA" deciding this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 05:23 PM

985 posts, read 2,210,288 times
Goody! I'm all for it. This reminds me of when I brought up this very subject a long time ago.

Cars parked on front lawns = LEGAL IN RALEIGH

Charlotte has laws which disallow parking in one's front yard. I found a copy of their documented laws regarding this online back then.

The neighbor's car was removed eventually. The police advised me that a car cannot be parked on the utility easement near the street, which consists of at least 10 or 15 feet from the pavement extending into each home's front lawn.

If you've ever seen a home with several cars parked in the front yard it really can be a blight on the neighborhood, especially if the other homes are kept up nicely and don't do the same.
best,
toodie

Old 02-03-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
Goody! I'm all for it.

If you've ever seen a home with several cars parked in the front yard it really can be a blight on the neighborhood, especially if the other homes are kept up nicely and don't do the same.
best,
toodie
Yep. Been there done that. It sucks when you take care of your own property, just to be surrounded by bubbas and their scrap yard on their lawn. It drove me crazy. I had to look at it everyday. It was awful. This is a good proposal Raleigh is considering and I hope they implement it. I just wonder what all the HOA and suburb haters are going to do if they have to live under these rules. It should be interesting to say the least.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:23 AM

449 posts, read 1,511,015 times
I had never seen people park on their lawns until I moved to the South (SC), except for the occasional frat party and the Tulalip reservation.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilirubin View Post
I had never seen people park on their lawns until I moved to the South (SC), except for the occasional frat party and the Tulalip reservation.

Ever been to the backwoods of the northeast?

Old 02-04-2009, 04:50 AM
.-.

157 posts, read 333,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
Surprised then ... figured it would give you a good "home town" feeling.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:55 AM

449 posts, read 1,511,015 times
Quote:
Nope. This is as far north, east of the Mississippi, as I've been.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:40 AM

2,135 posts, read 6,962,818 times
Quote:
Or to the other side of Cary? Check out the cars parked on the lawns of some of houses on Maynard between Chatham and Kildaire. Last time I checked this was part of Cary. Have you been to the other side of the tracks in Cary?

Old 02-04-2009, 09:19 AM

12,024 posts, read 28,322,455 times
All those against the HOA...this is what you get!!!

I saw a cartoon once that showed a home "with the HOA" looking bright and clean and nicely manicured lawn. Then the cartoon showed the home "without the HOA", with a school bus parked on the front lawn!

If the HOA doesn't prohibit parking in your front yard and having a clothesline across the front of your property, it becomes up to the city or town. If this is a problem, it will be resolved!

Vicki

Old 02-04-2009, 09:49 AM

161 posts, read 544,001 times
I have no problem with restricting the number of cars that can be parked within public view on one's property. But I do have a problem with basing the regulation on pavement. As I read this article, it seems to be OK to park three cars in one's front yard, so long as it's on pavement, but it's not OK to park any cars in one's front yard if there is no pavement. I imagine the paving lobby has something to do with proposing this law.

I find pavement to be uglier than God's natural Earth, and it is unquestionably worse for the environment. It increases runoff into our streams, it decreases the amount of plant life, which helps absorb our carbon dioxide production.

Pavement is "neater." But neatness is not the same as beauty, and I prefer beauty to neatness.

Last edited by askmisterbrown; 02-04-2009 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: left word out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary