Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2009, 07:22 PM

12 posts, read 39,580 times

Advertisements

We've been in a rental house in a great neighborhood in Cary for a year now. Problem is, we spend all our time driving to Chapel Hill, Durham, and Raleigh, for dining, shopping, culture, and cycling thru Umstead and the ATT. I don't think we're meant to live in Cary much longer.

Then there's the schools. Although I agree with the philosphy behind socio-economic balancing, I would be furious if my kids (6 & 4) were redistricted. I can't imagine dealing with multiple tracks and calendars. Why run the risk when I can afford a home in CHCCS without the threat?

I can spend up to $600K on a house. I'm looking for 3200-3900 sq feet, no fixer uppers. Ideally we'd be near a greenway for cycling, but not out in the country. I need to commute regularly to RDU. And we must have fantastic schools, that's a must. We like Chapel Hill as a city best and the CHCCS schools are a no-brainer.

Won't you please help me escape Wake county?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 08:08 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,693,941 times
Why don't you look in an area where you can get a great home for a little less, and send them to private schools, where you can be more sure of their surroundings?

Old 02-04-2009, 08:40 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,774,059 times
I sent you a link to a place that meets most of your criteria. I erred on the side of being closer to I-40 for going to RDU than near the greenway, which sort of goes through the center of Chapel Hill closer to campus. A good exit for hopping onto 40 is the 86 entrance.

I just found the link using a google maps real estate search. I'm sure you can find others doing a mls search. But I think that general part of town would be good for you.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:32 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
C'mon over. I do think your price to size ratio may be a little off, at least for some of the newer construction (but who knows in this market).

I agree that the area around NC86 and Weaver Dairy Ext./Homestead offers a number of attractive options. (Although, technically, some of the newer developments off Homestead are situated in Carrboro.) But they may not fall within your price range - especially at the sizes you are looking for.

P.S. I recommend David Bacon and wife Jenny Wears at Franklin Street Realty.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:30 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,774,059 times
Some paint and new countertops are a lot cheaper than adding on more kitchen.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:37 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,165,788 times
Why don't you just talk to a realtor?

Old 02-05-2009, 01:39 PM

162 posts, read 734,837 times
How soon do you want to move? If you have time I think the prices will come down abit going forward.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:01 PM

744 posts, read 1,262,681 times
I live in a neighborhood off of Whitfield Rd., which runs parallel to and just north of I40. We love it for several reasons. Duke Forest is nearby, which allows for great hiking and biking opportunities and ensures that the area will never get overbuilt. It takes about 3 minutes to get onto I40 and you can be at RDU in 25 minutes with moderate traffic. You can pop into Durham or Hillsborough in 15 minutes. Great schools: the new Morris Grove Elementary/Smith Middle/East Chapel Hill High. Lastly, this area is the buffer zone where you pay Orange County and CH/Carrboro school tax but not city tax, so tax rate is ~1.15% instead of 1.65%.

At $600K you may need to compromise some on the size-- more close 3,200 sq ft. or no fixing up part a little though...

Old 02-05-2009, 03:52 PM

12 posts, read 39,580 times
Thanks everyone for your replies. I have a realtor, we haven't started yet, but I wanted to get some opinions. I appreciate the replies.

I wouldn't move to CH and then not take advantage of the great public schools. Kids benefit from school diversity and it's who we are. I just don't like the constant threat of reassignments, as in Wake. My kids are young and they'll be in school for a long time.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:54 PM

86 posts, read 220,787 times
If you look at subdivisions in northern Chapel Hill, (Timberlyne area), such as Chandlers' Green and Silver Creek, you'll get great schools (Estes Hills Elem, Phillips Middle, East CH High) and while you don't get a ton of land, the area is very green and there are lots of trees, so you won't feel smushed into a cold white suburban world. Plus this area is nearish to Durham (RDU), while still being accessible to Franklin Street and right next to the many restaurants/amenities of Timberlyne and Chapel Hill North shopping centers. Right in your price range, and very family-friendly as a neighborhood (lots of culs-de-sac so kids can play safely, many families outside on nice days, etc)
I totally agree that there's no point in moving to Chapel Hill without taking advantage of the school district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary