Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 01:23 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trianglegcfan View Post
I also think downtown would be greatly improved with a large park.
Well, Pullen Park is not far from downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 01:43 PM

9 posts, read 32,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
We do love Pullen Park. I just don't feel connected to downtown when we are there.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:09 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,643,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nortel View Post
I don't care where "they" go, as long as I don't have to look at them. "Out of sight, out of mind". If you care for them so much, why don't you take them into your home?

BTW, I've seen more homeless on a given day in Moore Square, than the last time I walked down any given street in Manhattan.
Well, you were the one with the brilliant idea, so I naturally figured you probably had a realistic, viable solution. So where is it?

I never said I "care" for them, but I at least try to treat them like other human beings instead of festering piles of garbage. I don't know how you were raised, but I tend to treat others - regardless of their socioeconomic status - how I would hope to be treated by others as well.

Your karma must be *awesome*.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:28 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,307,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
Well, you were the one with the brilliant idea, so I naturally figured you probably had a realistic, viable solution. So where is it?

I never said I "care" for them, but I at least try to treat them like other human beings instead of festering piles of garbage. I don't know how you were raised, but I tend to treat others - regardless of their socioeconomic status - how I would hope to be treated by others as well.

Your karma must be *awesome*.
No kidding. I can't believe the callousness of some people.

No, I'm not a bleeding heart liberal - but I tell you what, it's a label I'd be a lot prouder of than what could apply here.

Nortel, you'd better hope for your sake that you don't lose your job, suffer a catastrophic illness that bankrupts you, or go through some other tragedy that forces you to join their ranks. My God, they're human beings, not dirt. This kind of attitude is just plain disgusting.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:51 PM

147 posts, read 427,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecha51 View Post
First off, I love how you enlightened ones counter my perceived sweeping generalization with a sweeping generalization about me--someone you don't know the first thing about. A suggestion: open the dictionary to the word "hypocrite" and commence reading.

Secondly, I don't know what happy fuzzy world you live in, but for your info I lived in and around New York City for over 30 years before moving south, and the suggestion that all homeless people are misunderstood teddy bears is a joke. I have been shot at in the South Bronx, I've seen homeless people push folks onto the subway tracks, I've seen more attacks of a verbal and physical nature than I care to. My wife is from a rough area in Queens and has her own stories. Again, forgive us for being protective of our infant in a questionable environment.

I never said all homeless were mentally deranged. But I did mention that the ones walking directly up to us were talking to themselves. Maybe you should stop singing Kumbaya for a minute and think about what this might signify. If you said mental issues you get a gold star.

I am not going to get into a pissing contest or justify trying to keep my family safe. But I'll leave you with this: I am the person you want spending money downtown. I have a lovely home with an acre of land outside of Raleigh. I have no pressing need to help the city of Raleigh out. I also have a good bit of disposable income. I don't care a lick what you think of me. But I can tell you that until conditions improve downtown, my family won't spend a dime down there.

You can now continue with We Are The World: City Data Edition.

Excellent response!! I won't feel guilty for feeling uncomfortable around a bunch of crackheads twisting each others hair on the sidewalk begging for change. Not when it is becoming more and more difficult to earn that change.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:56 PM

147 posts, read 427,587 times
While I agree that some homeless are down on their luck and looking to improve their station in life, the bunch that hangs around the park at the bus station are not working to improve their situation. I also don't beleive being a drug addict is a sociaoeconomic classification in any society...that is a fester pile of garbage.

It may be your calling in life to reach out to these folks and I would applaud your actions, but it is not everyones responsibility to save the individuals who have made bad choices in life.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:00 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,396,282 times
Question How About This Solution?

I say convert the Dorothea Dix campus to a huge homeless shelter where they can be taken care of, fed, taught some skills and manners. Maybe some could be rehabilitated and others would just have a nice place to be. Then downtown could be fixed up and people that are not as comfortable with these groups of people would be more inclined to visit or move downtown.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:38 AM

63 posts, read 153,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
No kidding. I can't believe the callousness of some people.

No, I'm not a bleeding heart liberal - but I tell you what, it's a label I'd be a lot prouder of than what could apply here.

Nortel, you'd better hope for your sake that you don't lose your job, suffer a catastrophic illness that bankrupts you, or go through some other tragedy that forces you to join their ranks. My God, they're human beings, not dirt. This kind of attitude is just plain disgusting.

Blah, blah, blah....

They are not my problem.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:42 AM

451 posts, read 1,653,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Pullen Park is an absolute dump. Dirty, grimy, disgusting. Do people actually like going there? Some people must, as it was pretty busy the only, and last, time we were there.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:48 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,643,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjchess View Post
While I agree that some homeless are down on their luck and looking to improve their station in life, the bunch that hangs around the park at the bus station are not working to improve their situation. I also don't beleive being a drug addict is a sociaoeconomic classification in any society...that is a fester pile of garbage.

It may be your calling in life to reach out to these folks and I would applaud your actions, but it is not everyones responsibility to save the individuals who have made bad choices in life.
No, it's not my calling in life to reach out to these people, nor am I singing Kumbaya as some other poster seems to assume. I don't even give these people money when they panhandle. I've offered food before, but I know that many of them have drug problems and/or are mentally ill, and are not going to use my money for good.

I am what some people like to call a realist. I don't go around spouting detritus such as "Get them out of my sight!" and "I'm never going downtown again because something exists there that exists in every city of the world" and "I'm going to sensor my life [or my children's lives] because I am essentially a wuss". But it's everyone's choice to live their lives how they choose, so sensor away, but don't go complaining about that which you choose to sensor on your own.

And if I were to say, get rid of something, I'd at least offer a realistic solution for making it happen. The truth is, there is no realistic solution to homelessness, so why bother? Nortel STILL hasn't offered any ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nortel View Post
Blah, blah, blah....

They are not my problem.
Well, that is why we have the situation we have, isn't it? In that case, the problem you have with this issue is not my problem. I don't have a problem going downtown and enjoying the museums, festivals, plays, and art galleries there. You are not my problem!

To me it sounds like there might be a few posters on here who fall into the mentally unstable category along with some of the vagrants...people who have absolutely no empathy, nor any interest in having empathy. So sad. I hope they never need anyone to empathize with their situation.

As for turning Dix into a massive homeless shelter - thank you CD for offering an idea, but what about the people who are currently committed at Dix? It is still a functioning mental hospital.

My biggest beef is, offer solutions if you're going to whine about a problem so arrogantly. I'd also love to see some of these posters make the same statements to someone's face. I don't think it would happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary