Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 12:49 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,622,415 times

Advertisements

Great effort in the writeup, but this post is almost useless without photos. It is mostly a bunch of opinions, which everyone's entitled to, but it's hard to really understand what turns you off and what you liked about the area, especially for those unfamiliar with those neighborhoods.

It might be helpful for readers to see photos of the places you liked as well as those you did not like, so there is a frame of reference for what you mean when you say something is an attractive McMansion or something is a run down piece of garbage.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:29 AM

519 posts, read 979,348 times
Did he actually say McMansions? These are homes that have been there for decades, some for over a hundred years. Look at the architecture; one can tell they are not recent buildings.

My fiancee and I live right near Crabtree and decided to take a nice drive through downtown Raleigh a couple days ago. We love driving down Oberlin Rd. to see the old homes and beautiful landscapes. We then took a left onto Fairview because of all the time we have lived here (which is coming on 7 years), I have never given her the full tour of the homes on Fairview. (I am not from this area, but I have many clients that live on Fairview).

Oh, before I forget. There is a reason you see a lot of 20-somethings around Oberlin Court. If you keep going down Oberlin, to the corner of that and Clark, you can see this nice tower in the distance. That is the Bell Tower to NC State. The campus is that close. So yeah, the kids do get out a bit. It is really a shame that Charlton Dude and his wife ate at Tropical Smoothie Cafe. They missed out on some great food at Carolina Cafe and Bakery at Cameron Village. They could have gone to the Flying Biscuit, but since it just opened, there have been lines during Sunday Brunch.

Anyways, my fiancee and I loved the homes down Oberlin and Fairview. There is a reason why the roads are narrow: the neighborhoods have been around a long time and people didn't drive SUVs when those homes were built.

After Fairview, we got back on Glenwood. The Mellow Mushroom is another great place to eat for a casual Sunday lunch. Of course, there are a lot of 20-somethings there, so make sure you put on repellant beforehand. But please try the Highland Brewing Company's Oatmeal Porter. It is made in North Carolina.

Our destination that day was the Cupcake Shoppe on Glenwood. If anyone has not gone there, it is a must. The women definitely do not spare any expense when it comes to flavor, but damn those things are good!

Anyways, I just wanted to give another opinion of a recent casual drive to 5 Points and downtown Raleigh. I just don't understand how anyone could not enjoy a drive and/or stroll to that part of Raleigh. There is so much history and beauty. Oh, to live in one of those homes!

Next time, you should also use Google Earth to check out neighborhoods.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:01 AM

451 posts, read 1,649,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry884 View Post
People tend to be defensive against the troll that ruins their message board. It's not just the over the top Cary stuff... it's the constant trolling. He watches 50 people having a conversation about what a shame it is to tear down a historic building and decides to annoy "the peanut gallery" with his thoughts of why it's best to tear down anything old to make way for Cary McMansions.

There are certain types of people who haven't learned social skills and/or who revel in irritating others. It is patently obvious that CD is here to troll and no one enjoys it. It's to the point where he could post "The sky is blue" and the rest of us would look outside and hope it's red just to **** him off.
I see the value and beauty in older homes. The 5-points area reminds me a lot of some of the older neighborhoods in Seattle. I assume my viewpoint is valid.

Charlton Dude doesn't see the value and beauty in older homes. He's a fan of new, modern, and sleek. His viewpoint is somehow not valid? So much for diversity.

If you want, feel free to start your own forum. Since it will be owned and operated by you, feel free to block any ip address whose opinions you deem unworthy or different than your own.

p.s. Charlton Dude does not need me to defend him, as I'm sure one of his split personalities can do that just fine. As for me, I have decent social skills, but annoy people because I happen to be very good at it. It's a gift, what can I say?

Old 02-13-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingyouth View Post
Did he actually say McMansions?
Yes, believe it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
[*]We found some real nice McMansions that were kept up very well. There were also many other homes that needed a lot of work. I prefer the condition of homes to be much more even, but Five Points was still a better grade than the extremely hit or miss housing closer into downtown.
Excellent post, kingyouth! You've definitely hit on some of my favorite places. To me, the Five Points and most of the other historic ITB neighborhoods are beautiful. The mature trees and landscapes paired with the lovely historic homes give the neighborhoods such a wonderful feel.

I also love the Cupcake Shoppe (which is located way to close to my apartment for my own good) and Mellow Mushroom. CD might enjoy the Cupcake Shoppe (who doesn't like cupcakes?), but based on his other reviews, I don't think he would enjoy a place like Mellow Mushroom or Lily's Pizza. However, there are many others who would, so thanks for mentioning some of your favorite spots!

Old 02-13-2009, 08:45 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,195,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
It might be helpful for readers to see photos....
Did I hear somebody say "photos"?

Here are some pictures from my tour of Five Points. I love that area!

Link: Pictures of Historic Five Points / Hayes Barton Area of Raleigh

Old 02-13-2009, 09:01 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,671,138 times
Thumbs up NRG---You Da Man!

LOL---you brought the Captain outta his foxhole! I don't post real often (unless I've got something constructive to say LOL)...but your pics always take my breath away, the ones of 5 Points are no exception...Mrs Catfish and I have been in serious talks about relocating to NC---I was first taken by Charlotte, and also have looked into the Triad area, but she made a very valid point the other night...and that is that the Triangle area (yes Scientist27709--that means Durham and yes CharltonDude and Bilirubin--that means good ol' Cary too ) is constantly listed when it comes to 'Best Places to Live'...

Keep on snappin' that shutter, NRG---you are one of the best ambassadors the Triangle area has

Old 02-13-2009, 09:32 AM

447 posts, read 1,713,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post

Those pictures really do a good job of showing off that area. Good Job.

Although I am thinking maybe a HOA would do the area some good, I mean look how those yards lack unity in landsaping and the houses lack unity in structure and character.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:16 AM

1,190 posts, read 4,037,185 times
Default reply

I would not say that Charlton Crude is a fan of modern. Just new and cheap with no character.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:50 AM

50 posts, read 185,865 times
I am ashamed to admit, but the OP is much like me, except our neighborhoods are reversed. I cringe when I get to parts of Cary or North Raleigh - HOWEVER - I know that the cookie cutter neighborhoods will look better in 10 - 15 years given what some of the ones closer to the city look like now. Homes will turn over and buyers will make each one different over time. I am not sure if the OP will like this or not. I am sure that in the future, Briar Creek and newer areas of North Raleigh will get character, just like Cary has done over the years. But Briar Creek and parts of North Raleigh now are anytown USA - I am curious how you compared them to Five Points...The sheer size of BC and NR will dwarf any comparisions to Five Points.

Five Points is a beautiful place, and if you hit it on a nice saturday, you will find a mix of people of all races and ages - including rednecks like me. So if you want nothing to do with 20 somethings (or anyone you don't want to be around for that matter), you should probably keep away.

To each his own.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post

Thanks for bringing those to this thread, NRG!

Now we wait for Charlton Dude's critique.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary