U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 07:55 PM

2,034 posts, read 3,859,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Some believe you will find walkable in the suburbs. It's not the sort of walkable that I was use in Portland, Or. So imho, if you want walkable you'll need to be ITB (Raleigh) or near Downtown Durham/ Duke area.

I live in the burbs now (South Durham). It's very family friendly but it's suburban. There are family friendly nhoods in the above areas I mentioned too. Some people find Durham "scary" because they are not use to living in racially diverse areas. Certainly this is not the only reason that some people find Durham "scary". There are some parts where urban decay has set in. But I still have yet to find the scary parts of Durham and I've been here 18months. I think it's all relative.

Only 2 comments on this for me Ms. Mom.
  1. Have you been to the corner of Davis & High House in Cary lately? Have you seen what is walkable there? And it is going to get a lot better with what is going in there. You may want to check out just how walkable it really is. Stop by my house and I will walk you around and if you bring a bike, I can show you more.
  2. I lived in Durham and I never thought any area was scary because of black people or Mexicans. I think certain areas area scary because of how run down they are. Color or ethnicity has never been an issue and to tell you the truth, I never ever think about it until it gets brought up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 08:07 PM

3,155 posts, read 9,593,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
Only 2 comments on this for me Ms. Mom.
  1. Have you been to the corner of Davis & High House in Cary lately? Have you seen what is walkable there? And it is going to get a lot better with what is going in there. You may want to check out just how walkable it really is. Stop by my house and I will walk you around and if you bring a bike, I can show you more.
  2. I lived in Durham and I never thought any area was scary because of black people or Mexicans. I think certain areas area scary because of how run down they are. Color or ethnicity has never been an issue and to tell you the truth, I never ever think about it until it gets brought up.
"Ms. Dude", yes, I've been to the corner of Davis & High House in Cary lately. And as I said before walkabilty is relative. For me walkabilty is relative to Portland... and no I don't find the area you are talking about being high on MY walkability scale. That's why I explained to the OP where my slant was coming from.

And for comment #2, I wasn't referring to you. And as I posted I said not all people think this way.... but there are certainly some that have. I have met some of said people.

And btw, I don't go for walks w/ strangers.... even in "safe" Cary.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
"Ms. Dude", yes, I've been to the corner of Davis & High House in Cary lately. And as I said before walkabilty is relative. For me walkabilty is relative to Portland... and no I don't find the area you are talking about being high on MY walkability scale. That's why I explained to the OP where my slant was coming from.
I guess I am just left scratching my head thinking what else do I need to be able to walk to in order to have this area be classified as walkable.

PS - You called me a "chick" again.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:52 PM

1,840 posts, read 5,135,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
I guess I am just left scratching my head thinking what else do I need to be able to walk to in order to have this area be classified as walkable.
Here's a hint....your example of a walkable area of Cary was the intersection of a pair of 4 lane highways.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:02 PM

11 posts, read 23,164 times
Raleigh and Cary, in my opinion have better schools. If that is a priority due to having children, I would rule Durham out. Cary is more conservative, but very family oriented. As for Raleigh, you have many different options. If you enjoy the arts, good eats, and some nightlife, you can be within 10 minutes of downtown, but still in a family type neighborhood. You may like the North Hills area of Raleigh. Most the homes are older and start around 275k-300k or so. I personally love downtown, but do not have children yet. If I were to move, I would probably choose to stay in Raleigh. I feel it has a better variety of things to do than Cary. However, most families I work with prefer Cary due to the number of families in that area, great neighborhoods, and school system. It all boils down to what your hobbies are etc. Good luck!

Old 02-09-2009, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
Here's a hint....your example of a walkable area of Cary was the intersection of a pair of 4 lane highways.
No, not at all. We can walk to the Prestonwood Country Club, several places to eat, the eye doctor, dentist & doctor and to 2 grocery stores, multiple pharmacies, multiple banks, investment companies, a tennis center, lots and lots of shops both all around the intersection and right down the hill, daycare, karate, pilates, as well as places to get hair cuts and nails done and much more. There is a really nice park down one road and a schools down a couple different roads. We bike to Bond Park all the time. Basically, the only reason we have to have a car is to take a short drive to work. EVERYTHING else we need is right outside our front door. I only used the intersection for location. It's everything in the area of the intersection that I was talking about.

This walkability is important to the OP.

Last edited by Charlton Dude; 02-09-2009 at 05:45 AM..

Old 02-09-2009, 06:06 AM

449 posts, read 1,482,792 times
North Raleigh.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:41 AM

2,531 posts, read 7,937,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayme78 View Post
Raleigh and Cary, in my opinion have better schools. If that is a priority due to having children, I would rule Durham out. Cary is more conservative, but very family oriented. As for Raleigh, you have many different options. If you enjoy the arts, good eats, and some nightlife, you can be within 10 minutes of downtown, but still in a family type neighborhood. You may like the North Hills area of Raleigh. Most the homes are older and start around 275k-300k or so. I personally love downtown, but do not have children yet. If I were to move, I would probably choose to stay in Raleigh. I feel it has a better variety of things to do than Cary. However, most families I work with prefer Cary due to the number of families in that area, great neighborhoods, and school system. It all boils down to what your hobbies are etc. Good luck!
You'll certainly find differing opinions here on this board. I recently to Durham from Raleigh in order to get into Durham's public school system. There are pros and cons to each of the area's public school systems and you should educate yourself on them and then balance that with the other unique qualitites of each community in the Triangle.

FWIW, here's what we've found & experienced in Durham relative to north Raleigh:
- More house for the money
- More diversity
- More community involvement
- More unique independent restaurants
- More bikeable and walkable city overall
- More trees
- Neighborhood schools w/ no reassignments!!!
- Base schools have better test scores than our old base schools in Wake County...and foreign language in middle school w/out going to a magnet
- More convenient location to RTP and more central to the Triangle overall
- Similar crime/violence/etc... (i.e. - NONE)

I certainly won't sit here and tell you not to look at Cary because its vanilla and everything is highways and chain restaurants b/c I don't live there and don't know for sure. On the same token, those who don't live in or know Durham should not be advising you on not considering Durham.

Last edited by mdp_az; 02-09-2009 at 08:55 AM..

Old 02-09-2009, 07:58 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,169,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
You'll certainly find differing opinions here on this board. I recently to Durham from Raleigh in order to get into Durham's public school system. There are pros and cons to each of the area's public school systems and you should educate yourself on them and then balance that with the other unique qualitites of each community in the Triangle.

FWIW, here's what we've found & experienced in Durham relative to north Raleigh:
- More house for the money
- More diversity
- More community involvement
- More unique independent restaurants
- More bikeable and walkable city overall
- More trees
- Neighborhood schools w/ no reassignments!!!
- Base schools have better test scores than our old base schools in Wake County...and foreign language in middle school w/out going to a magnet
- More convenient location to RTP and more central to the Triangle overall
- Similar crime/violence/etc... (i.e. - NONE)

I certainly won't sit here and tell you not to look at Cary because its vanilla and everything is highways and chain restaurants b/c I don't live there and don't know for sure. On the same token, to those who don't live in or know Durham should not be advising you on not considering Durham.
I second that! I moved to Durham ON PURPOSE, having no knowledge of any of the surrounding areas. I just knew I liked Durham when I visited in the summer of 2007. It was amazing to me how many people tried to dissuade me from moving here. I got the speech about high crime and all that jazz, but I haven't run into anything. I experienced more crime in Portland, OR (my car was broken into while I was driving here) than I have here and everyone I have met has been really, really nice, but I've experienced that everywhere in NC.

Now I'm glad I made the decision to move to Durham, because Durham has what I need for my lifestyle. Raleigh, in my opinion, is too big and while I haven't been to Cary or any of the outlying cities (just passed through), I knew I didn't want to live somewhere really small. Plus it helped that my daughter got into Durham School of the Arts, which has been FABULOUS; all of her teachers are helping her transition from a really bad school system. I say check out each area and decide from there. I like the diversity of Durham and the fact that I don't have to drive too far to get to my daughter's school or my job (I work in Durham), and I can be in Raleigh, Cary, Chapel Hill, etc in the matter of minutes. Think about what's important to you and look for those qualities in your search. The Relocation Guide was very helpful when I was researching the Triangle (before my daughter was accepted into DSA) and it helped me to reaffirm my desire to live in Durham.

Sena

Old 02-09-2009, 08:13 AM

11,556 posts, read 17,932,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylyss View Post
I am relocating to the area in Aug.09 from nyc with my husband and 3 children under the age of 6. We are looking for a family friendly neighborhood with good schools in the 300,000 range. My biggest concern is finding a area that has things within walking distance. Such as schools, parks, and some stores. It doesnt matter location we will be working from home. Please tell which area will suit us best raleigh, cary, or durham.
If most the respodents are correct about what sort of "walkalbe" area you desire, then I'd say your budget is going to be a limiter when it comes to housing a growing family of 5. You are not going to find a nice home for that price in the most desirable walkable areas. Even North Hills (proper) is going to set you back more than that. You might find a 40+ year old house walkable to the North Hills East development under construction but it's likely to need work for that price. If you go into Quail Hollow (about a mile from North Hills) you can find homes that start near 300K. Finding a 300K house Inside the Beltline that fulfills your requirements is going to be like finding a needle in the haystack at best. I don't know as many specifics about the walkable areas of Durham near Duke but I am guessing that they too are priced higher than your budget when considering you are looking for a house large enough for 5 people and a home based work situation.
If we are all mistaken and the OP has a broader definition of walkable, then there will many, many oppty's to explore including outlying suburban towns and neo-urban developments that include a host of services, shops and schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary