U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 07:41 AM

2,530 posts, read 7,925,246 times

Advertisements

Here's an example in Durham that more than meets the criteria: MLS 1644237. 3BR/3BA mid-century modern with a basement that could work as home office space. Its in the desirable Duke Park neighborhood and zoned for good schools (Club Blvd ES/Brogden MS/Riverside HS).

Within 1 mile (and thus easily walkable IMO) from this house are:
- City parks & greenways
- Club Blvd Elementary School
- Brogden Middle School
- Community Center w/ indoor pool
- NC Museum of Life & Science
- Northgate Mall
- Duke Univ. East Campus
- Brightleaf Square
- Central Park District & Farmers Market
- Urban Loop

Add another 1/2 mile and you can also get to:
- American Tobacco Complex
- Durham Bulls Athletic Park
- 9th Street

Oh, and the best part is that its listed for just over $200k and it already has a nice modern kitchen, leaving plenty of money for an addition or renovations if they are needed.

There are places out there, you just have to do some digging to find them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 07:57 AM

732 posts, read 1,006,187 times
They are all great and have a lot to offer. I would recommend SW Durham only because I think that is where you're mostly likely to have luck in your price range.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:00 AM

11,543 posts, read 17,888,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
Here's an example in Durham that more than meets the criteria: MLS 1644237. 3BR/3BA mid-century modern with a basement that could work as home office space. Its in the desirable Duke Park neighborhood and zoned for good schools (Club Blvd ES/Brogden MS/Riverside HS).

Within 1 mile (and thus easily walkable IMO) from this house are:
- City parks & greenways
- Club Blvd Elementary School
- Brogden Middle School
- Community Center w/ indoor pool
- NC Museum of Life & Science
- Northgate Mall
- Duke Univ. East Campus
- Brightleaf Square
- Central Park District & Farmers Market
- Urban Loop

Add another 1/2 mile and you can also get to:
- American Tobacco Complex
- Durham Bulls Athletic Park
- 9th Street

Oh, and the best part is that its listed for just over $200k and it already has a nice modern kitchen, leaving plenty of money for an addition or renovations if they are needed.

There are places out there, you just have to do some digging to find them!
It's all going to depend on what the OP considers walkable. My guess is that it's going to have to be closer than a mile since they have 3 very young kids in tow....just a hunch. When I think walkable to 9th street and other areas around Duke's east campus and the Brightleaf area, this is not the location that comes to my mind. But, good investigative work! I love mid-century ranches but this isn't the prettiest one I have seen from the outside but the inside looks pretty good and not "colonialized" like so many of them often become over time.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:15 AM

3 posts, read 5,174 times
It feels like we live in a foreign country, doesn't it? For God Sake. we are American's. Can't we extend a helping hand to one another? I'm a New Yorker born and raised, it really sucks here now, the corruption has no end to it, the people are losing their homes and jobs, people have no money, where is everybody going to go? North Carolina, sounds worse than New York, where the hell are we all going to end up? How are we going to start over? People are losing everything, the dog shelters are killing hundreds of animals a day, these are people's pets. America is in serious trouble, and after reading a post about Cary North Carolina, that the people are rude and they hate New Yorkers, I will never move there, and I am definitely not staying in New York much longer either. Where is a good place to live in the USA? Please tell me, where?

Old 02-09-2009, 09:24 AM

447 posts, read 1,513,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Westchester News View Post
It feels like we live in a foreign country, doesn't it? For God Sake. we are American's. Can't we extend a helping hand to one another? I'm a New Yorker born and raised, it really sucks here now, the corruption has no end to it, the people are losing their homes and jobs, people have no money, where is everybody going to go? North Carolina, sounds worse than New York, where the hell are we all going to end up? How are we going to start over? People are losing everything, the dog shelters are killing hundreds of animals a day, these are people's pets. America is in serious trouble, and after reading a post about Cary North Carolina, that the people are rude and they hate New Yorkers, I will never move there, and I am definitely not staying in New York much longer either. Where is a good place to live in the USA? Please tell me, where?
No one cares where you are from in the Triangle. Those of us that have lived here for a long time will complain about you, but at least on my part, it is just teasing. If you can find a job down here, come on down and join the party.

The Triangle is not a magic place though, the economy has slowed here and jobs are becoming more scarce. That said, we are doing better than some areas of the nation.

A good place to live in the USA is one you like and where you have a support system. Moving thinking to an area thinking it is the golden ticket to a new life probably is not a good idea.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:38 AM

3,744 posts, read 9,440,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Westchester News View Post
I can tell you that New Yorkers are not hated in Cary......heck, a good portion of Cary's population hails from there! What you will find down here, is that North Carolinians dislike relocatees (from anywhere) who come down and moan/complain what is lacking here...things that they took for granted in their home state. Those who assimilate grow to love this place....

Old 03-01-2009, 02:15 AM

47 posts, read 144,259 times
There are some very bad parts of Durham. When you happen upon one of those roads, you will know it. Downtown Raleigh also has it's bad spots. That said, both have some great neighborhoods too. However, Cary is very, very safe with little exception and you can live near the center of town and Preston and find yourself in a very convenient area. 5 points in Raleigh is an older community with lots to walk to. If you are working from home and don't need to be in the 3 cities listed, Chapel Hill / Carrboro might be another alternative.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:35 AM

360 posts, read 867,484 times
I have lived in both Raleigh, and Cary, and I have traveled to all the worst parts of Raleigh and Durham for my job, and I can say the best place if you have a family is Cary. I no longer lock my car doors, and I rarely lock the house door because it really is that safe here. And the price of homes varies wildly, so if you don't need to live in one of the "prestigious" areas you can get a really good deal on a home. In my opinion the best place right now is NW Cary, the house prices are reasonable and it is a really convenient location and there is no traffic to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary