U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-08-2009, 03:17 PM
 
6 posts, read 17,767 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

I am relocating to the area in Aug.09 from nyc with my husband and 3 children under the age of 6. We are looking for a family friendly neighborhood with good schools in the 300,000 range. My biggest concern is finding a area that has things within walking distance. Such as schools, parks, and some stores. It doesnt matter location we will be working from home. Please tell which area will suit us best raleigh, cary, or durham.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-08-2009, 03:30 PM
 
Location: Durham, NC
2,023 posts, read 4,946,033 times
Reputation: 3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylyss View Post
I am relocating to the area in Aug.09 from nyc with my husband and 3 children under the age of 6. We are looking for a family friendly neighborhood with good schools in the 300,000 range. My biggest concern is finding a area that has things within walking distance. Such as schools, parks, and some stores. It doesnt matter location we will be working from home. Please tell which area will suit us best raleigh, cary, or durham.
Inside the (I-440) Beltline Raleigh or the urban neighborhoods near downtown Durham (Watts-Hillandale, Trinity Park, Duke Park, Old West Durham, Forest Hills, etc.) are likely to be your best choice.

There may be some parts of Cary that meet what you're looking for too, though you'll find much of it more car-centric than the older urban cores of Raleigh and Durham.

Note that you're likely to find five Triangle residents giving you five opinions. Personally, I tend to like Durham more than Raleigh. In fact, relocation data suggests that Manhattan/Brooklyn folk disproportionately choose Durham over Raleigh -- Westchester Co., Queens, Suffolk Co., etc. folks tend to prefer Raleigh or Cary.

http://www.bullcityrising.com/images/2007/05/29/triangle_inmigration_new.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2009, 03:45 PM
 
Location: Middle Creek Township
2,034 posts, read 3,691,493 times
Reputation: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylyss View Post
I am relocating to the area in Aug.09 from nyc with my husband and 3 children under the age of 6. We are looking for a family friendly neighborhood with good schools in the 300,000 range. My biggest concern is finding a area that has things within walking distance. Such as schools, parks, and some stores. It doesnt matter location we will be working from home. Please tell which area will suit us best raleigh, cary, or durham.
For a family, I highly suggest Cary. I have a great location in NW Cary and we walk and/or bike ride to most everything. We have so much right outside our front door. The park is a wonderful bike ride down the street. We can walk to the Prestonwood Country Club, several places to eat, the eye doctor, dentist & doctor and to 2 grocery stores, as well as places to get hair cuts and nails done. On top of all that, there are 2 huge developments going in across the street from us that will offer a lot more options. If you choose this area, you could probably go without a car, as you work from home. We put very little mileage on our car now, as we hardly ever have to drive other than a very very short ride to work in RTP or for a joy ride around different towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2009, 06:28 PM
 
Location: ITB Raleigh NC
447 posts, read 1,439,722 times
Reputation: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylyss View Post
I am relocating to the area in Aug.09 from nyc with my husband and 3 children under the age of 6. We are looking for a family friendly neighborhood with good schools in the 300,000 range. My biggest concern is finding a area that has things within walking distance. Such as schools, parks, and some stores. It doesnt matter location we will be working from home. Please tell which area will suit us best raleigh, cary, or durham.
There are a lot of places that meet those needs. More information such as where you will be working might help point you in a better direction.

Cary is more new construction and home association neighborhoods. It is suburban life. It is a lot of chains and more "yuppie" than other areas.

Durham and Raleigh have areas like Cary, they also have older neighborhoods that might meet your needs. Raleigh and Durham I would say offer a more diverse living experience but this may be a negative depending on your life style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2009, 06:35 PM
 
316 posts, read 853,211 times
Reputation: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
For a family, I highly suggest Cary. I have a great location in NW Cary and we walk and/or bike ride to most everything. We have so much right outside our front door. The park is a wonderful bike ride down the street. We can walk to the Prestonwood Country Club, several places to eat, the eye doctor, dentist & doctor and to 2 grocery stores, as well as places to get hair cuts and nails done. On top of all that, there are 2 huge developments going in across the street from us that will offer a lot more options. If you choose this area, you could probably go without a car, as you work from home. We put very little mileage on our car now, as we hardly ever have to drive other than a very very short ride to work in RTP or for a joy ride around different towns.
Amazing how someone asks for Raleigh or Durham and you suggust Cary. Really, not everyone is afraid of city life....in fact, some even enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2009, 06:37 PM
 
Location: Virginia (again)
2,697 posts, read 7,295,199 times
Reputation: 1540
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeisnotmyname View Post
Amazing how someone asks for Raleigh or Durham and you suggust Cary. Really, not everyone is afraid of city life....in fact, some even enjoy it.
The OP specifically said "Raleigh Cary or Durham".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2009, 06:38 PM
 
316 posts, read 853,211 times
Reputation: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylyss View Post
I am relocating to the area in Aug.09 from nyc with my husband and 3 children under the age of 6. We are looking for a family friendly neighborhood with good schools in the 300,000 range. My biggest concern is finding a area that has things within walking distance. Such as schools, parks, and some stores. It doesnt matter location we will be working from home. Please tell which area will suit us best raleigh, cary, or durham.
It depends what you want in an area. There are things to be said about all three areas....though I prefer Raleigh, then Durham. Cary really isn't a city per se.....it's a very large subburb with lots of subdivisons. If that is what you are going for, then it's great, but it's not really as walkable neighborhood sort of place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2009, 06:38 PM
 
Location: Middle Creek Township
2,034 posts, read 3,691,493 times
Reputation: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeisnotmyname View Post
Amazing how someone asks for Raleigh or Durham and you suggust Cary. Really, not everyone is afraid of city life....in fact, some even enjoy it.
The title of the thread is:

Raleigh Cary or Durham which is best?

So your point is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2009, 06:43 PM
 
8 posts, read 16,214 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeisnotmyname View Post
Amazing how someone asks for Raleigh or Durham and you suggust Cary. Really, not everyone is afraid of city life....in fact, some even enjoy it.
Without intent to hijack the thread I must have been in the wrong part of Durham yesterday because I did not find it to be the most friendly looking area.

One thing I have learned in the whole month I've been in Cary is it is more uppity and not for everyone. It is far less city than I am accustomed to, which was my goal. However, it is not Raleigh at all. I've yet to get to places in Raleigh that are like Cary, but then again I have yet to really explore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2009, 07:22 PM
 
3,155 posts, read 9,199,683 times
Reputation: 2100
Some believe you will find walkable in the suburbs. It's not the sort of walkable that I was use in Portland, Or. So imho, if you want walkable you'll need to be ITB (Raleigh) or near Downtown Durham/ Duke area.

I live in the burbs now (South Durham). It's very family friendly but it's suburban. There are family friendly nhoods in the above areas I mentioned too. Some people find Durham "scary" because they are not use to living in racially diverse areas. Certainly this is not the only reason that some people find Durham "scary". There are some parts where urban decay has set in. But I still have yet to find the scary parts of Durham and I've been here 18months. I think it's all relative.

"Good Schools" is all relative too. I personally think my kids are getting as good or better of an education in DPS as the neighboring districts. But DPS scores tend to be lower. There are tons of school debates as well as "family friendly" debates on here.

If you give us a little more info about your family we might be able to give you a better picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top