Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2007, 08:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,579 times

Advertisements

We are relocating from Maryland hopefully this summer and are trying to decide on an area. Our children will probably attend The Franciscan School which is in the west side of Raleigh I believe. My husband will work just inside the beltline on the north end. We looked in the Wake Forest area, which was beautiful, but it may be too much of a commute to the school. Also, are the power lines over the whole area or what? Can anyone tell me in which direction they run? I am kind of paranoid about that and would like to chose a community where I am not located near them.

Are there any new communities in the $300,000 price range closer to The Franciscan School? Is there any shopping like Wake Forest when you head farther west? We haven't explored the area, and any info would be great. I really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2007, 06:47 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,397,971 times
Well from what I see, that school is actually more in North Raleigh, not West Raleigh. Given the location of that school...plus the aproximate area where you say your husband's working, I say there should be tons of choices right in central and north Raleigh that should fit the bill.
Any good realtor who truly knows the area should be able to find homes in that range. Areas around Crabtree, North Hills, Anderson Heights and such should have what you're looking for.

Old 03-16-2007, 07:40 AM

653 posts, read 2,983,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
Well from what I see, that school is actually more in North Raleigh, not West Raleigh. Given the location of that school...plus the aproximate area where you say your husband's working, I say there should be tons of choices right in central and north Raleigh that should fit the bill.
Any good realtor who truly knows the area should be able to find homes in that range. Areas around Crabtree, North Hills, Anderson Heights and such should have what you're looking for.
True, this is the heart of "old" North Raleigh - terrific central location, especially given hour husband's commute. There are some beautiful, established neighborhoods in this area, with plentiful shopping. However, finding a NEW community there around 300k may be more challenging.

You're right that the commute in from Wake Forest will be long, but you can find places without the power lines. Is finding a brand new home one of your deal-breakers, or are you willing to look at either young resale (less than 5 years) or established homes?

Old 03-16-2007, 03:54 PM

83 posts, read 351,927 times
What part of MD are you moving from? My family is in Laytonsville, Olney and Gaithersburg.
Your morning commute to the school will probably be longer than your evening commute as school usually gets out before rush hour begins. If I understand where the school is, you need to be looking in Northwest Raleigh. I think you will like the access to stores better in this area. Lots of homes out that way. You just may need to consider resale homes. Many of the older resale homes have nice lots. The older you go, the more trees you will have. Now, old and older here are in from the very late 70's to the early 90's.
If you are moving from the DC metro area, you will love the difference in traffic here.
Good luck!

Old 03-16-2007, 04:08 PM

173 posts, read 938,320 times
I just relocated from Maryland (Bowie) and I love it down here. You will really enjoy the slower pace of living. I am a NEW transplant, so I cant give you too much infomation about schools, but what I do know is Wake County Pulbic School is HORRIBLE. If you think Maryland schools are bad, then you will depise the school systems here. I am also not too familiar with housing here, but I visited the Sunnybrook Estates and they are great. 90% of the neighboorhood are transplants. I hope this helps! Good luck on your move.

Old 03-16-2007, 04:18 PM

83 posts, read 351,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missnew2nc View Post
I just relocated from Maryland (Bowie) and I love it down here. You will really enjoy the slower pace of living. I am a NEW transplant, so I cant give you too much infomation about schools, but what I do know is Wake County Pulbic School is HORRIBLE. If you think Maryland schools are bad, then you will depise the school systems here. I am also not too familiar with housing here, but I visited the Sunnybrook Estates and they are great. 90% of the neighboorhood are transplants. I hope this helps! Good luck on your move.
I am curious as to your exposure to Wake County Schools. My brothers kids are in school in Montgomery County MD. He had to put them in private school due to the gangs and problems with the teachers. My son is 2 years younger than his son and my son doesn't have the problems my nephew was having with his teachers and the gangs.
The classroom sizes are large and the school system is struggling with the growth. Everyone has their opinions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary