U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 05:39 AM

10 posts, read 37,157 times

Advertisements

This is an uncomfortable topic, and I hate to even bring it up, but as we were searching about Wake Forest, the City data info stated 22 registered sex offenders in Wake Forest...it seems rather high to us...Where we are in New Jersey, and considering a move, but in a similiar size town, only 1 exists..

Even Holly Springs had 12, I believe

To those who live there, what is the climate about this, and has there been any print or discussion about this problem, if it is in fact a problem, locally.

Thank you in advance...If the moderators deem this inappropriate, feel free to remove this inquiry

Thanks again

Last edited by patandpatty; 03-16-2007 at 06:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2007, 06:29 AM

769 posts, read 2,485,815 times
There can be a number of reasons for high levels of sex offenders other than the area being an enclave for SO's.
The requirement for registration may be stricter, they may be adhering to the requirements to register, the local police may be better at detecting offenders etc etc
I don;t want to detract from the useful information provided by whatever service you used but do a bit more research into things and trust your own feelings and the judgment you would use if this information wasn't available

Old 03-16-2007, 06:35 AM

1,531 posts, read 6,844,230 times
This topic has been covered in here and in the main NC room a few times...feel free to search around for more info.

Steve's probably right....every state does things differently. For one, I've heard that NC's definition of "sex offender" is in fact one of the most stringent ones out there. (As I've mentioned once, I've even heard of a story about a married couple caught getting a little too frisky in a tent while camping and charged with a sex-related crime...getting themselves on such a list.)
Pretty much breaking any law that has anything to do with sex, could get a person on that list, from what I hear.

So if you see one listed near you...don't get automatically freaked-out. Find out for what they did to get on it.

Old 03-16-2007, 06:58 AM

13,153 posts, read 17,416,008 times
Good site:
http://www.familywatchdog.us

I understand you can also ask to be notified when one moves into your neighborhood.

Old 03-16-2007, 07:09 AM

54 posts, read 238,766 times
Default Agreed...

I'm from up north as well and this area seems to be a magnet for perverts - the numbers blew me away as well (most likely due to the large number of children in the area)

We did eventually decide to make the move down here but we monitor things and my children very closely.

Someone will eventually chime in and tell you it's really nothing, not to worry, probably teenagers having fun, etc (most likely one of the realtors), but in my book it ranks above the school issues as a negative for living here.

Old 03-16-2007, 07:57 AM

2,834 posts, read 11,015,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherRelocatingNYer View Post
I'm from up north as well and this area seems to be a magnet for perverts - the numbers blew me away as well (most likely due to the large number of children in the area)

We did eventually decide to make the move down here but we monitor things and my children very closely.

Someone will eventually chime in and tell you it's really nothing, not to worry, probably teenagers having fun, etc (most likely one of the realtors), but in my book it ranks above the school issues as a negative for living here.

I am a realtor and it is not something I take lightly, as I have small children. Just as you need to be diligent in your research, and it is important to know the area you are in, I also think you need to look at what the offense was, how long ago was it, etc. That is not to say that I don't watch my kids closely, but I also feel like as a parent I need to research the situation.

Leigh

Old 03-16-2007, 10:20 AM

Default No offense intended...

Sorry Leigh - no offense intended - it's just a bigger issue for us northerners because everything up north is pretty well segregated. So by looking (and being able to afford) the nicer areas you pretty much guaranteed certain undesirable traits will not be there - welfare housing, sexual predators, etc.

Of course, much could be said on how that's a bad thing as well - but that's another topic.

In no way am I insinuating that you/others care/concern for your children any less - but instead I'm just saying this is something us northern folk never had to even consider before - therefore it's a bit rattling. Maybe we sent them all down here

Plus the numbers are alarmingly high - regardless of the stricter rules in NC.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:40 AM

4,980 posts, read 11,046,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherRelocatingNYer View Post
Sorry Leigh - no offense intended - it's just a bigger issue for us northerners because everything up north is pretty well segregated. So by looking (and being able to afford) the nicer areas you pretty much guaranteed certain undesirable traits will not be there - welfare housing, sexual predators, etc.

Of course, much could be said on how that's a bad thing as well - but that's another topic.

In no way am I insinuating that you/others care/concern for your children any less - but instead I'm just saying this is something us northern folk never had to even consider before - therefore it's a bit rattling. Maybe we sent them all down here

Plus the numbers are alarmingly high - regardless of the stricter rules in NC.

Wow.....having lived in the Northeast for 40 years before moving here I would love to know where this "Nirvana" of segregation where sexual predators were not present existed???

Do you really think you can tell a pedophile by looking at "where" he lives??

Majority of pedophiles are actually upper middle class, high income, with no criminal records....

If you really think you didn't have as many pedophiles "up North" you are kidding yourself. Any "northern folkwho didn't have to consider this before" were simply living with their heads in the sand.....

Old 03-16-2007, 11:08 AM

10 posts, read 37,157 times
I think what we are really trying to see is if there have been any incidents that have been in the paper or news, or publicized type of events that seem to happen. If not, thats great! I realize that every area would have to be concerned by this type of thing to some extend. New jersey is far from immune, thats for sure.

The question is : To what extent are parents concerned over this, honestly.

Thanks

Old 03-16-2007, 11:45 AM

Default Geez...

Blue-

I lived in town larger than the town I live in now (in NC) and I didn't have one sex offender - now I have 12. How do I know this - the megans law registry

http://www.parentsformeganslaw.com

Does this mean my neighbor couldn't have been a pedophile - of course not. It's just a fact - there are a large number of sex offenders here - period. It's not the first thing I tell my visiting relatives, but it's something I'm quite aware of and watch out for.

In NY, it's a pretty well known fact that the county places sex offenders (typically level 3 sex offenders) in county subsidized housing (in less desirable neighborhoods). Find a less affluent town and watch the numbers soar. NY segregates by money, color, religion, etc. I'm not saying I support it - just saying it's one of life's facts. If you lived there for 40 years and didn't pick up this - I'm sorry

BTW - I live here now, I like it here, I don't regret the move - but people on this board have been very helpful to me during my searches and I want to pay it forward (esp. from someone who lived there)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary