Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 03:46 PM

178 posts, read 1,227,278 times

Advertisements

"I had a 10' x 14' screened in porch on the back of my house...I ended up insulating under the floor and over the ceiling, ran recessed lighting, and did put windows throughout...so I can use it all year round now (small propane fireplace for winter or those very chilly spring and fall evenings)."

I can't speak for NH real estate regulations but in NC a broker can't include the square footage of your sun-porch-room in the total living space of the house because it isn't of the same quality finish (drywall, etc) and it isn't connected to your home's HVAC system. In fact, a person can get into some pretty serious trouble by over/understating
the square footage in a house by more than a few percent. This is why many agents have begun paying to have the house measured.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 03:50 PM

10 posts, read 78,572 times
You have a very large deck to make all windows that are fully operational, there are some other options out there, the cost would add up quickly. They make windows/screens that come in at a much more affordable cost of a fully operational window set up.

Do a search for Easy Breeze Windows (my computer is not co-operating right now!)

(I do decks and screened in porches for a business and I push this product over windows every time)

Old 02-23-2009, 04:32 PM

407 posts, read 1,558,462 times
Default HappyNCGirl - sorry for delayed response...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyNCGirl View Post
Snafu,

Did you convert the screen porch to a sunroom yourself? Or did you hire the work done?

I love our screened porch and practically live out there many months of the year. I love to start my day sitting on the porch, drinking coffee and reading the paper. In the evenings, after work, the family congregates on the porch to talk, read, or play games. It's too cold though during the winter months though for me. And the icky pollen mess is highly annoying in the spring.

The way you described your sunporch is exactly what I have in mind. It would be wonderful to have operative windows that open wide enough so that we could have the feel of a screened porch when we want.

While its worth every penny to pay a company who specializes in converting screen porches to sunrooms, the prices are expensive. Is it possible for a handy person (my husband is meticulous and really good at most things) to do a reasonably good job?
Here is a before and after picture of the porch project (I can PM you with other pictures or other specifics if you want), and the only part of the porch that I did myself (with my brother's help) was installing the 18' stoneboard tiles (on a diagonal, and they came out gorgeous). I hired a local carpenter to do all the work, and an electrician to install the lighting. I had permits done and the town building inspector checked it all, so it is completely up to code. I did all the porch design myself - window spacing, lighting, floodlights in the back, and making sure there was one wall with enough area for the exhaust for the propane stove to clear the glass areas - exhaust could not be with 10-12" of the glass. It was a lot of fun... Seriously, though, if I had the time to do it, the project would definitely have been possible with just a very handy home person... except for the substructure.

I ended up with Marvin windows, which were a tad pricey, but they were the company that had the "feel" of the room/outdoors that I was looking for. If you see the picture with them open, the center support is not there - it is attached to one side of the open casement. Instead of the typical windows above and solid wall below, I ended up having the 4' windows on top, a separating beam, and then fixed windows below (4' wide x 18' high) - You'd be surprised what you miss coming up the path from the pond and woods by having a solid lower segment...I could watch one of the foxes come up in the early mornings.. And because the porch is raised, I couldn't have windows open down to the floor. My home is a post-and-beam gambrel, and the beams extended out to the former screened-in porch, so I had some insulation put between the beams in the ceiling (they were 8" recessed, so I lost about 4" by putting in insulated cans for the recessed lighting), and a beautiful red cedar for the walls and ceiling.

The "porch" is actually two-stories, with the upper part being a semi-finished storage space off the master bedroom. Since I intend to convert that, at some future point, to a sitting area with a view over the pond and back yard, I also had the support structure for the porch reinforced... which added a bit to the price tag.

It's great to sit out there with my morning coffee and NOT have to be bundled up in a blanket... or have my coffee turn to ice coffee within 5 minutes of sitting down.

Good luck on your porch... and in case you're wondering, I'm still figuring out the exact "style" for the furniture to go out there... decisions, decisions...
Attached Thumbnails
Convert Deck into Screened-In Porch or Sunroom?-view_to_screen_porch.jpg   Convert Deck into Screened-In Porch or Sunroom?-img_1692.jpg   Convert Deck into Screened-In Porch or Sunroom?-img_1682.jpg   Convert Deck into Screened-In Porch or Sunroom?-img_1694.jpg  

Old 02-24-2009, 01:01 PM

261 posts, read 1,216,488 times
Default Absolutely Gorgeous!

Thank you so much for the explanation and pictures. The results are just beautiful, and exactly along the lines of what we have in mind to do.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:40 PM

635 posts, read 3,091,689 times
Personal preference will prevail, but I vote for screened in. ...unless you plan to heat and air-condition a glassed in room, it will be hot in summer and cold in winter, and you really do lose that "outdoors" feeling.

Plus glass is far more expensive.

Al

Old 05-21-2009, 08:41 AM

797 posts, read 3,579,090 times
Screened porches are so much smarter in NC than a sunroom. You get to use the screened porch from April-November (around 8 months) and there is nothing better than enjoying the outdoors without the bugs. A ceiling fan is a MUST though. There are some weeks in summer where its a little to hot even with a fan to sit outside, but other than that, its perfect 8 months of the year!

Old 05-21-2009, 08:52 AM

757 posts, read 2,082,197 times
Does anybody know what it costs to have a screened in porch built compared to a sunroom?

Old 05-21-2009, 09:34 AM

871 posts, read 3,017,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson185 View Post
Does anybody know what it costs to have a screened in porch built compared to a sunroom?

Prices will vary dramatically.

We replaced our 8x16 deck in 2005 with a 20x16 screened porch. We love it, the cats love it more, watching the birds and all, but the pollen has caused us to shut it down till the first big cleaning 2 weeks ago (it took an entire Saturday). And, as an added bonus, we are sure the jet fuel soot from passing aircraft is also adding to the grime problem as there is a black, greasy film which needed to be scrubbed from the interior paint. Not the end of the world, but a maintenance detail you want to consider.

Our floor is a ceramic stone-like tile, 13x13 and we used suitable sheetrock ceiling and recessed lights and 2 ceiling fans. My wife and I constantly lament not having more of a sealed room when we want it, with interchangeable window/screen panels, but the cost for a screened porch is, in any case, WAY less than a sunroom.

Proceed cautiously with your contractor. I had heartburn for months with the guy I chose. I basically threw him out at the end and was left with some sloppy issues I have since dealt with myself.

We also elected to have a workshop built underneath the porch, where I park the John Deere, and all the tools and "stuff". It is a hugely beneficial extra space that you gain by adding a large enough porch above.

Have fun with your new project!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary