Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 12:48 PM

19 posts, read 79,399 times

Advertisements

Do you have an idea of the geographic location of your husbands job and the desired commute?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 12:55 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,960,165 times
Sounds like northern Chatham County, western orange county or eastern alamance are where you'll want to look to get into your price range. You'll be able to find 1000-1300 sqf, 0.5-1.5 acres, built early 80s and older. These will put you 5-20 min from UNC, and 20-40 min from Duke. St Thomas More is right next to UNC.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:04 PM

15 posts, read 49,208 times
Right after I posted the $130K range I thought I should have said around the $150k range, or less of course. We just don't want to be house poor if you know what I mean. We would prefer a commute of 30 or less. Don't want to want to spend hours on the road everyday. Yes, I'm sure we will compromise once we get to that leg of things. I said I would never live in a neighborhood, but here I am, liking it pretty well. Mu husband has applied for 2 state jobs, I think. Those are in the Triangle region. I was looking at one the various universities for my job options, once we are up and running. I do realize the beach is about 2 hours away, but that SURE BEATS 12!

Old 02-12-2009, 01:44 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,163,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennysmom View Post
Right after I posted the $130K range I thought I should have said around the $150k range, or less of course. <snip> We would prefer a commute of 30 or less. Don't want to want to spend hours on the road everyday. Yes, I'm sure we will compromise once we get to that leg of things.
I think you're going to have to compromise. $150K really isn't a lot for a house around here, especially if you want land around you. For that, you're going to have to move fairly far out, which puts you outside the 30 minutes or less commute.

You said he applied for 2 state jobs, which would probably mean Raleigh. (Saying "Triangle region" isn't what we were going for. It's a very large region. We were trying to figure out which part of the area. E.g., Raleigh, Durham, Research Triangle Park, Chapel Hill, etc.)

Old 02-12-2009, 03:40 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
I'm confused....how are you 12 hours away from the beach living in Northern Florida? Isn't pretty much everywhere in the state within an hour or two from the beach?

The "triangle region" consists of (depending on who you ask) 3-5 counties, so you would need to really be more specific as to where you would be working within the triangle region. Again in your price range you would have to be really really far out from most places where there is employment to find anything decent.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:06 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Right after I posted the $130K range I thought I should have said around the $150k range, or less of course. We just don't want to be house poor if you know what I mean. We would prefer a commute of 30 or less. Don't want to want to spend hours on the road everyday. Yes, I'm sure we will compromise once we get to that leg of things. I said I would never live in a neighborhood, but here I am, liking it pretty well. Mu husband has applied for 2 state jobs, I think. Those are in the Triangle region. I was looking at one the various universities for my job options, once we are up and running. I do realize the beach is about 2 hours away, but that SURE BEATS 12!
State has a hiring freeze in place, Sorry. My 2 kids work for NC. Not bad place to work but family health ins is $500 and may shortly be rising.

UNC universities have a job freeze and may have to let some staff go because of budget cuts.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:18 AM

Default Family of 3 wanting to relocate to Triangle Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
I'm confused....how are you 12 hours away from the beach living in Northern Florida? Isn't pretty much everywhere in the state within an hour or two from the beach?

The "triangle region" consists of (depending on who you ask) 3-5 counties, so you would need to really be more specific as to where you would be working within the triangle region. Again in your price range you would have to be really really far out from most places where there is employment to find anything decent.
My apologies for that, we are ORIGINALLY from FLA, we have been in KY for the last 2 years. We really want to live in a coastal state again. We have family in Asheville, Morganton & New Bern.

But see, this is why I am on this forum! I really do not know anything about the area, we are just trying to get to a place where if my husband lost his job he would have a better chance at finding another, even if for less pay. "Here" there are not many, if any options for that.
He applied for 2 state jobs in Raleigh. What areas should we visit around Raleigh to get a good idea of the place? We do not want to live deep in the city. We are certainly willing to compromise on the lot size, but NOT something like .11 of an acre! We would consider a 45 minute commute for the right house. It will not be our dream home, so we just want t the basics.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:28 AM

Default Family of 3 wanting to relocate to Triangle Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
I think you're going to have to compromise. $150K really isn't a lot for a house around here, especially if you want land around you. For that, you're going to have to move fairly far out, which puts you outside the 30 minutes or less commute.

You said he applied for 2 state jobs, which would probably mean Raleigh. (Saying "Triangle region" isn't what we were going for. It's a very large region. We were trying to figure out which part of the area. E.g., Raleigh, Durham, Research Triangle Park, Chapel Hill, etc.)
Thank you, as you can tell I am not familiar with the area. I did not realize RTP encompassed such a large area. I need to get a map! We have received relocation packages and Homes and Land magazines in the mail and since most house locations are not disclosed we are not aware how far out they must be. This is going to take a lot of effort, thankfully I'm up to it. What area do you live in or would like to live in with decent housing prices? Do you like where you live?

Old 02-13-2009, 07:34 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Thank you, as you can tell I am not familiar with the area. I did not realize RTP encompassed such a large area. I need to get a map! We have received relocation packages and Homes and Land magazines in the mail and since most house locations are not disclosed we are not aware how far out they must be. This is going to take a lot of effort, thankfully I'm up to it. What area do you live in or would like to live in with decent housing prices? Do you like where you live?
The lack of addresses and locations is aggravating, isn't it?
Playing hide and seek with the information to hook you into contacting them, when you will then get a sales pitch.

If you are contacting agents for relo packages, you should ask one to take a look at MLS, and possibly set up a search for you with auto-email notification of listing additions and updates. It is common to offer that free, with no strings attached.
Listings are mapped by Microsoft Virtual Earth, and the Bird's Eye View puts you about 150-200 feet away. Or you can just view the road map.
Nice!

Old 02-13-2009, 08:38 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,054,971 times
Quote:
Thank you, as you can tell I am not familiar with the area. I did not realize RTP encompassed such a large area. I need to get a map!
First of all, here's a quick lesson in local vocabulary.

RTP:
The Research Triangle Park
Short for "Research Triangle Park". It is a large development (approx. 8 miles long & 2 miles wide) nestled between the cities of Durham & Raleigh. More than 170 companies have offices in RTP including IBM, GlaxoSmithKline, Sony Erricson, and Motorola. About 50,000 people work in RTP. According to their website, it is the "largest research park in the nation". Due to zoning laws, there are no residences within the bounds of Research Triangle Park. Therefore, nobody lives in RTP.

The Triangle:
The Triangle (North Carolina) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is the nickname for this region of North Carolina. In this case, the 3 points of the triangle represent Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill because of the universities located in those 3 cities. The definition of "The Triangle" has expanded, but it's still up for debate in some circles. Some people firmly believe that only Wake county (home of Raleigh), Durham county, and Orange county (home of Chapel Hill) are within the Triangle, but as the area grows, many people also consider portions of other counties to be within the span of the Triangle (Johnston county, Chatham county, etc.). You'll see this latter opinion reflected in the Wikipedia article.

RDU:
This is the abbreviation for the Raleigh-Durham International Airport - the major airport around here. There are a handful of people who call this region "RDU" instead of "the Triangle", but it seems pretty rare. Usually when people say RDU around here, they're talking about just the airport.

As you begin to research this area a bit, you'll start to learn how big it really is. It's a bit overwhelming at first, but I'm sure you can handle it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary