Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 08:49 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,725,291 times

Advertisements

Bill would require apologies for slanderous Web posts :: WRAL.com

So I wonder if a City can sue for slander under this bill. ??? hmm? Or if it's just slander against a person or a business???

But regardless, I think this Bill goes too far. BTW, there are some good comments in the article by a local Durham Blogger and a Duke resident.
I'm curious what other Triangle residents think of this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 09:05 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,929,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Bill would require apologies for slanderous Web posts :: WRAL.com

So I wonder if a City can sue for slander under this bill. ??? hmm? Or if it's just slander against a person or a business???

But regardless, I think this Bill goes too far. BTW, there are some good comments in the article by a local Durham Blogger and a Duke resident.
I'm curious what other Triangle residents think of this one.
Outrageous bill. If I were to claim that Durham was a stinking cesspool filled with the lowest level of vermin, shouldn't people perform due diligence and see that I'm not (entirely) accurate?

Seriously though, this is the price of NC turning more blue every election cycle, especially Wake, Durham, and Orange county. Civil cases are ok against outrageous claims, but this would seem to be more of a criminal case, unless I'm missing something...

Old 02-13-2009, 09:25 AM

447 posts, read 1,713,641 times
This comes up every few years (months, days?) and has been happening since the days of dial up BBS. Someone says XYZ smells like poo. XYZ files suit against the BBS and the person who said they smell like poo. The BBS then hands over the name of the person calling XYZ names, pays a lawyer and gets cleared. I actually remember a case of this in the RTP many years back, I think it was settled out of court.

To me it is like sueing the air as the transmission media for standing on the street corner and yelling "XYZ smells like poo"

Old 02-13-2009, 09:43 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,721,541 times
Quote:
Seriously though, this is the price of NC turning more blue every election cycle, especially Wake, Durham, and Orange county.
Durham and Orange have long been the two Bluest counties here!

Old 02-13-2009, 09:57 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,851,609 times
If we can't engage in slander what will become of this forum??

Old 02-13-2009, 10:00 AM

521 posts, read 1,594,834 times
The very last line of the law reads "This section shall not apply to anonymous communications." Interesting. I wonder what they consider anonymous? Are pseudonymous communications (like city-data) considered equivalent to anonymous? Just about anyone's "anonymous" identity can be tracked via IP/MAC address.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:04 AM

43,016 posts, read 76,519,527 times
I would foresee a rash of suits against internet posters who call others "Boogereating Bedwetters."
With truth being the absolute defense against charges of slander and libel, I think I would prefer not to be a court reporter....

Old 02-13-2009, 10:33 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,725,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Seriously though, this is the price of NC turning more blue every election cycle, especially Wake, Durham, and Orange county.
I disagree 100%. I moved from a state and city that is WAY MORE blue and this sort of legislation never came up. Personally, I think it's more likily that NC lawyers who profit from this sort of case is lining some pockets in Raleigh.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:01 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,929,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Durham and Orange have long been the two Bluest counties here!
...and Chapel Hill's attempts to prohibit firearm ownership there is clear evidence of that. Fortunately, I passed a bunch of awesome students over at the State brickyard earlier today and spoke with them on their efforts to allow concealed carry on campus.

Anyway, the ability to sue over slander is just more political correctness invading our right of free speech. Civil cases should be allowed for private businesses on blatant untruths, but for municipal purposes...please

Old 02-13-2009, 01:39 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,796,760 times
Freedom of speech is one thing, but complete defamation of ones character on unfounded grounds is another thing. This could be a helpful bill if only for appropriate reasons!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary