Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 10:11 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Annexation should require approval of affected residents.
What a Democratic principle? Oh my! Why would we ever bow to a basic value like that?

Maybe Wake County should concede to Cary's growth and we will be Cary County the County formally known as Wake!

Got Dough nut holes? Not to worry, we Annex! We make holes in map boundary lines! We make holes in map boundary lines!

Sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 10:27 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Dansdrive...your posts are always some of my favorites. You should get a deal with a publisher! lol

Old 02-13-2009, 10:27 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Annexation should require approval of affected residents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
What a Democratic principle? Oh my! Why would we ever bow to a basic value like that?

Maybe Wake County should concede to Cary's growth and we will be Cary County the County formally known as Wake!

Got Dough nut holes? Not to worry, we Annex! We make holes in map boundary lines! We make holes in map boundary lines!

Sad.
Two very interesting misunderstandings of the basis of annexation.

MOST annexed areas are owned by folks, developers and builders, who volunteer for and formally request annexation. That is how a new subdivision in a scrub pine field becomes part of a municipality.

But, I wonder if those who vote to not be annexed would agree to not use the parks, streets, parking spaces, greenways, etc., in a town they do not support financially?

Old 02-13-2009, 10:43 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Two very interesting misunderstandings of the basis of annexation.

MOST annexed areas are owned by folks, developers and builders, who volunteer for and formally request annexation. That is how a new subdivision in a scrub pine field becomes part of a municipality.

But, I wonder if those who vote to not be annexed would agree to not use the parks, streets, parking spaces, greenways, etc., in a town they do not support financially?
MikeJ I am in 100% agreement with you if the axed folks, sorry Annexed folks are either requesting annexation or volunteer their property to be annexed but I see many people on TV rejecting annexation of their property. In that case a free election should be the way to resolve the issue. People may not like the results but at least they had a say.

But sometimes my thought process is to Democratic value based I guess.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
MikeJ I am in 100% agreement with you if the axed folks, sorry Annexed folks are either requesting annexation or volunteer their property to be annexed but I see many people on TV rejecting annexation of their property. In that case a free election should be the way to resolve the issue. People may not like the results but at least they had a say.

But sometimes my thought process is to Democratic value based I guess.
Dan,

One of the parcels is inside Maynard, and completely surrounded by town, split by a Town of Cary Street.
Cary should likely be able to bill them for leaving their property...

But....
I will yield 100% amicably and without remorse to your view if you can get me enforceable exemption for tax bills sent to me with which I disagree .........................

Old 02-13-2009, 11:43 AM

447 posts, read 1,717,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I have trouble following this course of logic. All of use travel to other locations and use their public spaces. And I hazard to guess that a lot of state, federal and private money is used for public spaces.

My logic follows this path. I buy a house, which at the time is in the country. Over the years I put money into a well and septic system, a pool and other things. As this time moved along houses and developments surrounded my house, then the town annexes me. I have to now pay to get city water and sewer, oh and that pool, the fence I put up does not meet city code , gotta put in a new one. Oh that sewer, they have a 10 foot easement that they will clear cut now, and your septic system needs to be filled with sand. Please pay your taxes by Jan 1.

You can see where people might get miffed about it. I of course put a lot of situations into one example but such things happen. And it is called progress, and I for one think we give up too much in the name of progress.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:46 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
The correct tax rate is actually .33, not .42 and the Cary median home value is $264,000 resulting in a cost of $871.20 in taxes per year. I say quite a bargain for the pleasure of being an official Cary resident and all that comes with it.

Best places to live 2008 - Top 100 City details: Cary, NC - from MONEY Magazine

http://www.wakegov.com/NR/rdonlyres/...xRates2008.pdf

You just made me spit out my coffee.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:57 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckreis View Post
My logic follows this path. I buy a house, which at the time is in the country. Over the years I put money into a well and septic system, a pool and other things. As this time moved along houses and developments surrounded my house, then the town annexes me. I have to now pay to get city water and sewer, oh and that pool, the fence I put up does not meet city code , gotta put in a new one. Oh that sewer, they have a 10 foot easement that they will clear cut now, and your septic system needs to be filled with sand. Please pay your taxes by Jan 1.

You can see where people might get miffed about it. I of course put a lot of situations into one example but such things happen. And it is called progress, and I for one think we give up too much in the name of progress.
Well, according to the Town of Cary website there is no "immediate requirement to connect" to the city sewer and water. I don't know how zoning issues work - but I will mention that the information I saw on the Holly Springs ETJ stated that all existing structures, home-based businesses, etc. would be grandfathered in. Any new construction would have to meet Holly Springs zoning. I assume the same goes for the 9000+ acres expansion that Apex did last year (or was it the year before)? I'm not familiar enough with the Cary situation to know if the properties are already part of the Cary ETJ, in which case they'd already be subject to Cary zoning laws.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:02 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .-. View Post
Not only the money issue, but many just don't want to be even associate with Cary.
It would be interesting to find out if any of the areas to be annexed don't already have a "Cary, NC" mailing address...

Old 02-13-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckreis View Post
I have trouble following this course of logic. All of use travel to other locations and use their public spaces. And I hazard to guess that a lot of state, federal and private money is used for public spaces.

I understand your point. Again, I am not proposing that all annexation is good. Just conversing.

But I am under the impression that homeowners have a choice whether to tie into Town water and sewer.
From Page 12 of 47: (http://www.townofcary.org/depts/dsdept/DR%20Web%20Site/annex/ComprehensiveAnnexationProgram.pdf - broken link)
"Property owners within annexed areas are not required by the
Town of Cary to connect to Town water and sewer services; it is up to each individual property owner to decide whether he or she wants to connect to Town utilities and when."
Do you know anyone who has had to replace a fence or pool to bring them up to town standards?
I think stuff is grandfathered in all over the place.
And most sewer and water runs are down the center of the streets in annexed areas, to avoid tearing up any more vegetation than necessary. The laterals from the mains have to enter the property, but that should be perpendicular to the frontage, and again at homeowner choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary