U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 03:55 PM

30 posts, read 47,564 times
Which areas in Durham should I investigate during my trip? I'm not a NYC native and don't expect to take the "NYC attitude" with me. I don't mind the sprawl. I just don't want to live in a sprawl community. I tend to prefer the areas between the sprawl and downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 03:58 PM

7,585 posts, read 9,639,203 times
The bad part of Durham is generally Southeast of downtown; consequently north and west are the better areas in general. Look up places known as ""Old North Durham" and "Old West Durham", for some established housing that's convenient to downtown. Others who are actually in Durham can help you better.

Old 02-14-2009, 04:01 PM

1,562 posts, read 3,158,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijn_in View Post
I've heard that Durham is "dangerous". Are there good ice cream parlors in the area?
I wouldn't believe the negative hype on Durham. (After Raleigh and Cary, Durham is the third-safest large city in N.C. relative to violent crime.)

For what you've described, I would check out downtown Raleigh as well as Durham. Plenty of good restaurants, locally-owned shops, coffee shops, and bars around Durham. There are also plenty of condos/townhouses in different areas of Durham that would fit the size and garage requirements you're looking for.

Check out the American Tobacco District, Ninth Street, Brightleaf Square, and Southpoint when you're in town to see if Durham might be what you're looking for. Definitely also check out downtown Raleigh and the Glenwood South and Cameron Village areas, which are also terrific. Carrboro may be worth a glance as well.

Good luck!

Old 02-14-2009, 04:11 PM

Thanks! I've been to Southpoint and thought it was a great medium size indoor/outdoor mall. I've never been to the other areas that you mentioned. Which city is geared towards people in my age group?

Old 02-14-2009, 10:50 PM

170 posts, read 347,553 times
I lived in OH for 20 years; been in Raleigh for about one.

The only advantages that C-bus has on the Triangle are, in my opinion, a much more active singles scene and a hell of a lot better college football following. Of course, when you have one of the largest colleges on the planet located there, what's to expect?

Aside from that, take whatever the Columbus area has to offer and multiply it by three, and you get the depth of the Triangle.

People from all over Ohio drive to Easton for the shopping and dining experience, but if you were to put that area in the Triangle there would be at least three others just like it, if not better. Raleigh has better geography (2 to beach, 3 to mountains), climate, employment (Silicon Valley of the East Coast, hello?) and, to be quite honest, a lot more pleasant people to be around. Columbus is basically the last city holding the state of Ohio afloat, while North Carolina is still in its infancy (depending on who is asked).

My only knock on this area has been, and will continue to be, that it is a big time BMW/Lexus/Lincoln/Cadilac drivin', suburbin lovin', McMansion family land. Or at least that was the direction it was heading for several years, but it seems like they are trying to develop some of their "urban core" now-- it must be the hip, trendy thing to do, I suppose.

Unless you are around college age or younger, be prepared to feel somewhat deprived of the opportunities to meet people if you are single, as those opportunities will not just jump out at you like they will in many other major metro areas.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:13 AM

7,748 posts, read 8,831,062 times
Quote:
Which areas in Durham should I investigate during my trip? I'm not a NYC native and don't expect to take the "NYC attitude" with me. I don't mind the sprawl. I just don't want to live in a sprawl community. I tend to prefer the areas between the sprawl and downtown.
If you want the areas between, also check out North Hills in Midtown Raleigh. You might like that area too. But, my guess is that you'd prefer the Cameron Village/Glenwood South/5 Points "triangle" closer to downtown.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:01 AM

1,562 posts, read 3,158,414 times
Quote:
Thanks! I've been to Southpoint and thought it was a great medium size indoor/outdoor mall. I've never been to the other areas that you mentioned. Which city is geared towards people in my age group?
It's tough to answer that. In many ways, both are.

I think in the central Raleigh area, you're going to see more purely "young professionals" with all that encompasses. In Durham you're going to see a mix of young professionals, grad/professional students, more creative class (artists/musicians/chefs/etc.). Though there are plenty of places for nightlife, bars/sports bars, etc. in each location.

Durham's price point allows a more eclectic mix, something my wife and I (who are both young professionals in our early 30s) enjoy. Durham will tend to lean more liberal/progressive; Raleigh more middle-of-the-road.

So both cities are "geared towards people in [your] age group" -- the question is, what kind of people are you looking to live near and be around?

Old 02-15-2009, 08:49 AM

Rumble,
Point taken. How long did it take you to build a social network? I'm not a party animal, but enjoy socializing with friends and staying active.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:54 AM

Bull City Rising,
I enjoy people for all walks of life if the area is clean and cultured. I have grown a dis-like of the hipster culture and generation (Williamsburg in Brooklyn). I'm more of a Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights, Carrol Garden and Fort Greene type of guy vs Williamsburg. I would pick the upper east side over the upper west side in NYC too. I hope that provides some perspective into my tastes and comfort zone.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:57 AM

rnc2mbfl,
I looked into the 712 Tucker apartment rentals. The price point for a 2 bedroom 1100+sq/ft is a little higher then estimated apartment budget. I'm trying to keep my price around $1,250 and below.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary