Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 11:32 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,381,483 times

Advertisements

I noticed quite a while back that Polka Dots was no longer in business in Stone Creek Village in Cary. Now I just noticed a moving truck unloading stuff from Teramasu, which looks empty. I never could understand how these little specialty places can stay in business, as they cater to such a small group of people. This is why I like stores that cater to the masses instead. More things for sale that more people actually want to buy. Hopefully something more mainstream will replace these stores. Quaint little specialty stores are great for a tourist or a picture, but in all reality they don't really serve a purpose other than taking up valuable space that could be better utilized by a mainstream or big box company.

I noticed that the bigger anchor unit across from the Chop House Grill has removed all the signs advertising the space. Unless they all fell down at the same time, I am hoping this means they found a tenant. Something like Trader Joe's, Southern Season or an Apple store would do really well there. Something that actually appeals to more than 6 people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 01:27 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,665,209 times
Polka Dots has been gone for a while. I got an email that Petite Soles was going out of business too. The owner seemed so nice and helpful, but she never had as much selection as Trendy Toes so we always ended up there when we needed shoes.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:49 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,977,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
Polka Dots has been gone for a while. I got an email that Petite Soles was going out of business too. The owner seemed so nice and helpful, but she never had as much selection as Trendy Toes so we always ended up there when we needed shoes.
I agree. I did go there on Saturday for the "going out of business" sale, and got some great deals. I get the feeling that the rents charged there are pretty high. The owner of Mary + Martin (the clothing store next door) was not sounding very optimistic about her business either. They were all talking about how eventually someone will probably come in, tear down all the buildings and stick a WalMart and a McDonald's there. Oh wait, Charlton would probably love that.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:19 PM

I highly doubt that new buildings would be torn down for something different. All the restaurants in there are doing fine, along with normal stores. It's the ridiculous specialty shops that have a hard time, especially in a location that demands very high rent. Those shops would best be replaced with bigger name companies pushing much more mainstream items. I contribute a lot of money to all the businesses facing High House (the front section), but I rarely go down the middle section, as it is stuff I would never need.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:37 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,025,927 times
I think the problem might be that some of these local shops are in over their heads with rents in places like Stone Creek Village. I, for one, love these types of local speciality shops, but in all of my years living here in the triangle, they don't do well in these types of shopping centers.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I think the problem might be that some of these local shops are in over their heads with rents in places like Stone Creek Village. I, for one, love these types of local speciality shops, but in all of my years living here in the triangle, they don't do well in these types of shopping centers.

They may do better in a huge mall type place like Southpoint, where there is more walk by traffic.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:45 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,977,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
I highly doubt that new buildings would be torn down for something different. All the restaurants in there are doing fine, along with normal stores. It's the ridiculous specialty shops that have a hard time, especially in a location that demands very high rent. Those shops would best be replaced with bigger name companies pushing much more mainstream items. I contribute a lot of money to all the businesses facing High House (the front section), but I rarely go down the middle section, as it is stuff I would never need.
What do you consider a "normal" store? All of the "non-restaurant" stores facing High House are "specialty stores", except Walgreen's.

The stores that are closing down did sell "mainstream items". What is more mainstream than clothing, toys and shoes? They just weren't chains, which is apparently your preference.

I heard the new store coming in specializes in solar energy. Sounds anything but mainstream to me.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingMomof2 View Post
What do you consider a "normal" store? All of the "non-restaurant" stores facing High House are "specialty stores", except Walgreen's.

The stores that are closing down did sell "mainstream items". What is more mainstream than clothing, toys and shoes? They just weren't chains, which is apparently your preference.
Walgreens, Harris Teeter, Sport Clips, Pristine Cleaners and Play & Trade are mainstream things that people will use often, although I have doubts about Play & Trade staying in business based on how poor the inventory is.

All the restaurants do great, as they are in demand.

The Pilates place seems to be doing fine, again as it is in demand.

The other shops, although they may be clothing, toys and collectibles are places that do not carry high volume, but do carry extremely high prices and cater to the elite in many cases. They are not selling product that the average Joe needs everyday. Bigger companies that can purchase more mainstream clothing for the regular folk at a lower price would do much better and I am not talking Walmart quality. JMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingMomof2 View Post
I heard the new store coming in specializes in solar energy. Sounds anything but mainstream to me.
If they are taking the large end anchor spot, then that would be a disappointment. I would rather see a company like this take one of the smaller center locations.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:45 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,025,927 times
I also have to say (as someone who works in a smaller, locally owned specialty toy store in the Cary area that is closing it's doors at the end of the month) that I really think that the layout/design of shopping areas like Stone Creek Village don't help the situation with small local retailers much. The foot traffic seems to be low as people tend to "drive around" those types of areas more than walk.
I recently took my mom to get her hair cut in that shopping center and I had to wait an hour. I parked and walked around one little "block" and when I was done, I noticed Harris Teeter, but I had to get back in my car and drive past all the other places to get over there.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
I also have to say (as someone who works in a smaller, locally owned specialty toy store in the Cary area that is closing it's doors at the end of the month) that I really think that the layout/design of shopping areas like Stone Creek Village don't help the situation with small local retailers much. The foot traffic seems to be low as people tend to "drive around" those types of areas more than walk.
I agree that specialty shops are better placed in extremely high customer volume places like a mall or in a tourist location. I am glad you agree that this is the wrong location for such a store. However, one thing I have to clarify is that most people park in one spot in Stone Creek Village and then walk all the shops they are interested in. It is not a big place. It is just that people will usually come for one thing and then maybe check out some other stores for a pleasant walk. It is not the same thing as a big mall where people may spend hours there, looking at dozens of stores. Sort of apples and oranges.

Quote:
I recently took my mom to get her hair cut in that shopping center and I had to wait an hour. I parked and walked around one little "block" and when I was done, I noticed Harris Teeter, but I had to get back in my car and drive past all the other places to get over there.
The only place to get a haircut in Stone Creek Village is Sport Clips, which is a men's place. There is Fantastic Sam's, which is on the other side of High House and is not part of Stone Creek Village, although I walk to both sides and don't need a car. It's just across the street and there are multiple crosswalks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary