U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2009, 02:15 PM

6 posts, read 32,664 times

Advertisements

Hey, there. We're looking to purchase a direct vent fireplace insert. Anyone have recommendations of where to buy? Did you have a good experience with an installer?

We want something that has a wide 'turn down' so that it won't heat up our living room too much when we want it for atmosphere, but so it is also capable of acting as a heat source when the electric grid is knocked out. Also want something of good efficiency.

(We bought from Fireplace Editions once before, but won't again.)

Thanks for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 02:53 PM

531 posts, read 2,529,629 times
I'm not sure how D-vent is different from vented but we purchased a Peterson vented gas insert during their summer sale from Fire House Casual Living on Capital Blvd (N. Raleigh). They carry lots of top manufacturers and are very knowledgeable. They gave us a list of "preferred vendors" (gas plumbers) and we were very pleased. The unit wasn't as cheap as buying off the Internet, but we think we got a good deal of education from the sales staff and the gas plumber was a little expensive too (IMO) but he was very knowledgeable as well. So all in all we paid a little more, but we feel good about the quality of product and installation.

5301 J Capital Blvd.
Raleigh, NC 27615
(919) 235-0002

Old 01-06-2010, 04:22 AM

70 posts, read 242,097 times
I have got a direct vent fireplace, bulider installed, and it does not heat very well. Any suggestions?

Old 01-06-2010, 05:25 AM

31,592 posts, read 55,295,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar Heel Smitty View Post
I have got a direct vent fireplace, bulider installed, and it does not heat very well. Any suggestions?
Does it have a fan in it to distribute warm air?
If not, can it be equipped with a fan?
Most units have a fan kit available that can be added for not a lot of money.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Does it have a fan in it to distribute warm air?
If not, can it be equipped with a fan?
Most units have a fan kit available that can be added for not a lot of money.
No, there is not a fan. It has a wall switch to turn it off/on. There is a place for the heat to come out at the top of the unit, but it just doesnt heat like you would think.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:31 AM

31,592 posts, read 55,295,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar Heel Smitty View Post
No, there is not a fan. It has a wall switch to turn it off/on. There is a place for the heat to come out at the top of the unit, but it just doesnt heat like you would think.
Just relying on convection without a fan will probably produce disappointing results.

Most units will have an access panel that tilts open at the bottom.
In that area they usually have an electrical connection for a fan kit.
This moves air across the firebox and out the top, and usually makes a significant difference.
If you have the manual for the insert, it should tell you if your model has this functionality, and what model number fan kit your unit would require.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Just relying on convection without a fan will probably produce disappointing results.

Most units will have an access panel that tilts open at the bottom.
In that area they usually have an electrical connection for a fan kit.
This moves air across the firebox and out the top, and usually makes a significant difference.
If you have the manual for the insert, it should tell you if your model has this functionality, and what model number fan kit your unit would require.
I will check it out. Thanks you for your info and time. I appreciate it.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:54 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,719,909 times
These blowers typically come in two types:

One that will draw air in through vents below the firebox and return heated air to the room through vents above the firebox.

The second will collect heated air via convection and transfer that air via HVAC ducting to a standard air register that has a fan behind it.

Nice picture of the concepts here on page 3 - "heat transfer system"

http://www.heatilator.com/downloads/brochures/MAXUS.PDF

I mention this as option two will work even if the front of the fireplace doesn't have grills above and below the firebox.

Frank

Last edited by frankpc; 01-06-2010 at 06:27 AM..

Old 01-06-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
These blowers typically come in two types:

One that will draw air in through vents below the firebox and return heated air to the room through vents above the firebox.

Frank
This is apparently the one I have.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:40 PM

1,710 posts, read 2,099,375 times
Our fireplace has a stove insert & it looks good, but takes a while to heat up, also cools fast after fire is out. I think the problem is mostly that the bulk of the stove is in the fireplace, only 6-8 inches protrudes, if that much. I think most of the radiant heat goes up the chimney. I hope to find an insert with about a foot of protrusion, the furtherest out that the hearth could handle. Would get far more radiant heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary