U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 02-16-2009, 03:54 PM

17 posts, read 49,932 times
Default Lifetime registration for boat trailer?

Hi - my husband and I just bought a personal watercaft with a small tow trailer. We are getting a plate for the the trailer tomorrow but I vaugley remember hearing something about a "lifetime one time fee" to register the trailer and never having to pay a 3 year or 1 yr fee.

Am I remembering correctly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-16-2009, 06:14 PM

551 posts, read 1,425,108 times
I've never heard of this.... we pay annually; I've just searched DMV and I can't find a thing about lifetime registration of a trailer! Please post here if you find out anything.

Unread 07-12-2009, 09:37 PM

1 posts, read 12,542 times
In 1999, Gov. William Weld passed a law making all vehicle (and I believe trailer) registrations lifetime. But shortly after, that law disappeared. I don't when and I had never heard of it even existing since I could not drive then.

Unread 07-13-2009, 07:28 AM

66 posts, read 123,978 times
Default What are trailer license and registration costs?

I don't intend to highjack this thread, but I am considering purchasing a utility trailer (~5x8 bed) for hauling kayaks, and am interested in learning what additional costs I will face in NC. Title? license plate? registration? others? How much and what frequency?

Thanks!

Unread 07-13-2009, 08:29 AM

334 posts, read 705,971 times
Yes, you can get a lifetime trailer registration. I just got one two weeks ago, actually, after seeing it on this board somewhere. This isn't something the DMV widely advertises, but just request it when you get up to the counter. They will charge you upfront (don't quote me but it's ~$70-80) & then issue you a black & white license plate that says "multi-year" rather than the standard red & white trailer plate. There will never be any additional registration fees so I'm very excited. One less thing to worry about.

For trailers in NC, they require titling & license plate/registration. I was also told there is personal property tax, but I've never been billed in the past for a trailer prop. tax. I was registering a trailer that came from a non-title state (NY) and ran into a few problems, but had the prior owner fill out a notarized affadavit & then was able to get an NC title issued.

Unread 07-13-2009, 09:26 AM

2,131 posts, read 3,456,626 times
Quote:
Yes, you can get a lifetime trailer registration. I just got one two weeks ago, actually, after seeing it on this board somewhere. This isn't something the DMV widely advertises, but just request it when you get up to the counter. They will charge you upfront (don't quote me but it's ~$70-80) & then issue you a black & white license plate that says "multi-year" rather than the standard red & white trailer plate. There will never be any additional registration fees so I'm very excited. One less thing to worry about.
This is true. When I purchased my multi-year plate 3 years ago the price was $75. However, this plate is not transferable. You need to find out the annual renewal price to determine how long it will take to make this plate worth the extra cost. It may only take 3 years to break even. This plate is great if you plan on keeping the trailer for 5+ years.

Unread 04-16-2010, 08:42 AM

1 posts, read 11,394 times
$75 and no more worries, well worth it if you plan on keeping the trailer for a while, the clerk did tell me to make sure i kept up with the registration card because they would want $20 to replace that

Unread 04-16-2010, 11:19 AM

2,043 posts, read 3,322,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherBlue View Post
I don't intend to highjack this thread, but I am considering purchasing a utility trailer (~5x8 bed) for hauling kayaks, and am interested in learning what additional costs I will face in NC. Title? license plate? registration? others? How much and what frequency?

Thanks!
Make sure you have clear transfer of title .. If you buy one of those knocked down "build it yourself kits" it can sometimes be a problem getting it registered.
NC does offer a new title if you claim you built it yourself. You'll need a DMV form that provides a number you must stamp on the trailer. Then a trip to a Highway Patrol station for verification and signature, then back to DMV for a license plate.
At least when I did mine a few years ago, it was telling that the Highway Patrol officer commented that she had never seen this process before ...

Frank

Unread 10-30-2013, 09:09 AM

3 posts, read 1,637 times
Default Multi Year Plate

A Multi Year plate is $75. It's good as long as you have the trailer and never needs to be renewed. (I work for the NCDMV)

Unread 10-30-2013, 12:15 PM

571 posts, read 353,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyboat View Post

For trailers in NC, they require titling & license plate/registration. I was also told there is personal property tax, but I've never been billed in the past for a trailer prop. tax. I was registering a trailer that came from a non-title state (NY) and ran into a few problems, but had the prior owner fill out a notarized affadavit & then was able to get an NC title issued.
We pay property tax on our boat trailer and utility trailer. I didn't know you could get a lifetime registration will look into that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary