Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 01:32 PM

336 posts, read 1,495,421 times

Advertisements

my husband interviewed by phone this morning for a position with the EPA, this would be a dream job for him. just curious to see if anyone in the forum works there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 11:41 AM

143 posts, read 481,193 times
I work for EPA, but in Washington DC. Does anyone work for EPA in RTP? I REALLY WANT TO RELOCATE.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:35 PM

420 posts, read 1,397,303 times
What company specifically? Dh works for a company in Morrisville with a huge EPA division.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:43 PM

143 posts, read 481,193 times
I'm speaking of the Enviromental Protection Agency. The agency itself.

Old 01-08-2008, 03:38 PM

147 posts, read 471,453 times
My dad just retired from the EPA after 35 years or so. He was one of the people on the study that identified and defined particulate matter, its relation to car and coal pollution and its impact on public health. My impression from him is that working there during a republican administration, this one and Ronnie's is perhaps the most frustrating experience one could imagine. During the 80's the Gov. constantly tried to shut down the EPA, and under Bush they bury reports, intimidate researchers and have pushed out most anyone with experience enough to be taken seriously. He refused buyouts for a long time in part to remain an irritant to the Bush lackey's, but finally it got to be too much and too depressing, so he retired.

But if you're in it to serve corporate desires and not the American people's health, should be good times. Maybe 2009 will bring something different. Overall though, I'm sure he's proud of the work he did and his career. Could have made WAY more money in the private sector though.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:16 PM

12 posts, read 86,357 times
Default I work for the EPA in RTP

I'm not a regular here, but check in every once in a while. I've been with the EPA for a few years now, but was working in Washington, DC until last summer. I like working for the EPA, and the RTP campus is great. Are you local? I haven't yet fallen in love with NC, but do really like my neighborhood (south Granville Co).

Old 01-09-2008, 07:35 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,277,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papajay View Post
I'm not a regular here, but check in every once in a while. I've been with the EPA for a few years now, but was working in Washington, DC until last summer. I like working for the EPA, and the RTP campus is great. Are you local? I haven't yet fallen in love with NC, but do really like my neighborhood (south Granville Co).

Papajay,

If you don't mind sharing, I'm curios what department within the EPA you work for and how you like it. I work in the environmental field on the state level and always keep my eye out for jobs at the federal level. It seems like whenever I see jobs posted for the RTP EPA office they are always some sort of air modeling or toxicology position. I'm just curious what other departments within the EPA may or may not be located here in the Triangle. Feel free to send me a DM if you don't wan't to discuss it on the forum.

Thanks!

~ NRG

Old 01-09-2008, 08:42 PM

12 posts, read 86,357 times
Default I'm with ORD

I work very closely with the Office of Air and have, in the past, worked with people the Office of Children's Health Protection, as well as with IRIS in DC. I am a health scientist and do enjoy my job. It's very busy, but also very rewarding. I don't do field work or lab work anymore, and I do miss that quite a bit. I work mostly with toxicologists and epidemiologists, but there are also plenty of ecologists and atmospheric scientists in my division. What lab and/or center would you be interested in working for?

Old 01-15-2008, 07:54 PM
lw2

4 posts, read 45,204 times
Question EPA RTP nonscience/nontechnical jobs

I live in Durham and have extensive professional experience in journalism: researching information, writing, and editing. I have wanted to work for EPA for years but only find science and technical positions posted.

I have noticed journalism-related positions in Washington, D.C. from time to time. Does EPA in RTP have departments or positions that use people with my type of skills? Do they have internal publications or documents that require writers and editors? Are these positions usually temporary or full time?

I check the RTP EPA Web site weekly for vacancies that I think I may qualify for, to no avail. I just want to know if it's likely that I'll ever find what I'm looking for in RTP.

Thanks to anyone who can offer me some information.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:15 PM

560 posts, read 1,548,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lw2 View Post
I live in Durham and have extensive professional experience in journalism: researching information, writing, and editing. I have wanted to work for EPA for years but only find science and technical positions posted.

I have noticed journalism-related positions in Washington, D.C. from time to time. Does EPA in RTP have departments or positions that use people with my type of skills? Do they have internal publications or documents that require writers and editors? Are these positions usually temporary or full time?

I check the RTP EPA Web site weekly for vacancies that I think I may qualify for, to no avail. I just want to know if it's likely that I'll ever find what I'm looking for in RTP.

Thanks to anyone who can offer me some information.
I think you will have a better chance if you take a position in a bigger city (like DC) where EPA offices are located and then transfer to the RTP area. It is easier that way since the RTP campus is smaller than the actual headquarter or even EPA offices in other states. You will have a good chance to land your dream job/location that way. The smaller the campus, the stiffer the competition, especially in NC where jobs get filled primarily through friends or family members, rather than from outside. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary