Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 04:36 PM

67 posts, read 208,458 times

Advertisements

Know Wake-- like it, but Cary keeps coming back

I don't know what to do

I want a pool, park, sidewalks for the kids

a decent sized lot

nice neighbors

a place to play bball on weekends with other old guys, a b league softball team

a home for about 500k

THATS IT!

I'll let you know if i find it---please do SAME!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 05:12 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyof6fromCT View Post
Thanks BC

Read some of your other posts too, very informative

Hadn't considered CH really

If you have the time, what is it additionally about CH that warrants the strong recommendation?

Thanks in advance.
Chapel Hill schools are more highly rated than Wake....

Chapel Hill does not have the uncontrolled growth you see in Wake so there is not as much overcrowding as in Wake Co. (although some CH schools are over capacity) which means less likelihood of redistricting.

CH schools uses "walk zones" less likely to have your children bussed to school.

Unique college town with strong University presence with all the energy that brings. Nothing quite like walking around Franklin St. on a "game day". The students give the town a different vibe than you will likely feel elsewhere in the Triangle.

Great neighborhoods, lots of activities in town, great parks and playgrounds, unique restaurants rather than just the big chains....

You really should check out Chapel Hill for yourself before ruling it out, when we were moving down from MA we concentrated on Cary because of all the homes at attractive prices, once we saw the towns and compared them for ourselves, it was no contest. Chapel Hill has a soul and energy you won't find in Cary

Old 04-09-2007, 05:24 PM

Thanks blue---

we will check out ch....

i really need a fraternity for 38 year olds i think

Old 04-09-2007, 05:46 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,008,315 times
Quote:

I don't know what to do

a decent sized lot

nice neighbors

a home for about 500k

THATS IT!

SO you came for your visit? What did you think? Cary? Sunset Ridge? etc etc etc. Overall did you like the area and feel like it may have a good fit for your family?

Old 04-09-2007, 06:12 PM

Not yet---- this week--starting in cary- then chapel hill, wake and def want to see sunset ridge

Old 04-09-2007, 06:46 PM

250 posts, read 1,245,983 times
Quote:

I don't know what to do

a decent sized lot

nice neighbors

a home for about 500k

THATS IT!

My husband's playing softball right now with guys from our neighborhood. Cary has a a men's softball league and plays on awesomes fields at Thomas Brooks Park--four lighted fields with manicured turf!!! Here's the link to the Town's rec pages on teams. Scroll to page 4 to find the men's softball league information.

Town of Cary Men's Softball League Information
(http://townofcary.org/depts/prdept/bro01/prathl.pdf - broken link)

We live in Highcroft and love it. The neighborhood is relatively small, has sidewalks on both sides of the street throughout. Highcroft Elementary is right in the middle of the neighborhood with a couple of playgrounds. It abuts Sears Farm Park and has a pool and tot lot. also for first time homebuyers there is a sweet incentive going where the developer pays for the social initiation fee at Prestonwood Country Club!

There are also many families in Highcroft with large families--always kids out and about. The neighborhood currently leans toward elementary school aged b/c of the elementary school, but it should all even out over time.

Now the down side. It is located in the flight path--but farther out from the airport than Carpenter Village or the Martha Stewart (Twin Lakes) development. The far end of the development will also be relatively close to I-540 once it is built. The smaller lot homes start from the low 400's. The larger lot homes .25 acre - .4 acre start in the 500's. Finally, its almost all sold out.

Good luck. There are many nice communities in the Triangle area!

Last edited by cary_nc; 04-09-2007 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: Update

Old 04-09-2007, 06:53 PM

Thats great info!

THANKS---

looking on theeir site now--- are there basketball courts, soccer fields, etc?

Old 04-09-2007, 08:18 PM

250 posts, read 1,245,983 times
Quote:
Thats great info!

THANKS---

looking on theeir site now--- are there basketball courts, soccer fields, etc?
There is a basketball court at both Sears Farm Park and Thomas Brooks. Older guys from the neighborhood play pick up basketball there on Sunday early AM. There are also soccer fields at Thomas Brooks Park. There are other basketball courts and soccer fields throughout Cary as well. Cary also has an excellent Tennis Center realtively nearby (adjacent to Green Hope High School). Soccer is huge here! The Capital Area Soccer League is the place for additional information on that.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cary_nc View Post
There is a basketball court at both Sears Farm Park and Thomas Brooks. Older guys from the neighborhood play pick up basketball there on Sunday early AM. There are also soccer fields at Thomas Brooks Park. There are other basketball courts and soccer fields throughout Cary as well. Cary also has an excellent Tennis Center realtively nearby (adjacent to Green Hope High School). Soccer is huge here! The Capital Area Soccer League is the place for additional information on that.

That sounds perfect!

Anyone else know of similar neighborhoods in Cary or Wake...?

We'll be there tomorrow and can't wait!

Old 04-10-2007, 07:25 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,668,728 times
Quote:
That sounds perfect!

Anyone else know of similar neighborhoods in Cary or Wake...?

We'll be there tomorrow and can't wait!
I've been meaning to ask...Wake? Do you mean Wake County as a whole? That covers a large area. Is there somewhere specific you mean beside Cary?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary