U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 11:40 PM

1,210 posts, read 1,525,603 times

Advertisements

According to CNN Money's Cost-of-Living Calculator, Raleigh is marginally cheaper than Rochester.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 05:50 AM

449 posts, read 1,058,500 times
You can live in Cary in which your base school is a traditional school (I honestly don't see what the fuss is about regarding year round schools) without the threat of redistricting.

But to answer your question, if you want something close to Cary yet not in WCPSS, then your options are limited to Durham and Chapel Hill. If Cary is stretching your budget, then CH certainly would.

Before we moved here we looked at Durham. Then I looked at the school report cards:

District Search Results Page.

No way was I going to send my kids to those schools. But that's me. Durham schools work very well for a great many people, so do your own homework and don't be swayed by me or the Durham Cheerleaders.

If you like Cary already, find a way to make it happen. Put your child's education first, not when vacation time is. One advantage of Year-Round is that not all tracks are equally populated. We know of one class (elementary in Cary) that has 13 kids in it. Also your breaks can often be during non-traditional beaks, so you can be at the beach for 2 weeks in early May or late September without the crowds, and with optimum weather.

Good luck.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:27 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,892,753 times
I'll have to tell my parents how EASY they had it when we kids were growing up in PA. Small town. There was ONE public elementary school, ONE public Jr. High in our borough/township, ONE high school, and that's where you went unless you were going to the private catholic school system or to the VoTech school for high school years. Traditional calender with summers off and no such thing as redistricting. For better or worse you were with the same kids all the way through. My graduating class was approximately 200. Simplicity. High % went on to college.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:12 AM

431 posts, read 880,461 times
I would also say take a look into Clayton.

We just moved here from Long Island last month and love it.....we did alot of research before deciding and the school issues were a concern for us.....we had originally started our search in Wake cnty...stayed in Cary.....

We just felt with the boys being uprooted stability was the most important thing once we got down here......My boys are 13, 11 this month and 5.....not knowing what they're schedules would be and the chance of them being moved around just wasnt the right fit for our family.....Although it is for some...

We have 2 in elem and one in ms and they are doing very well adjusting and couldnt be any happier....

You'll find plenty of homes in your price point with room for a family to grow....the schools are traditional and I personally dont feel that we are lacking for anything......we can get to all our needs within 10/15 min ride and Raleigh is about 25 mins away......

Its worth looking into as as option if the school isssues are a concern for you.....

Good luck

Old 02-19-2009, 09:26 AM

10,417 posts, read 18,013,149 times
Keep in mind that ANY area that has growth, Clayton included, may have some re districting of schools.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Clayton area but you must do all your research.

JinnSue, aren't there two new high schools in the Clayton area that are scheduled to open? And when they do open, who will fill them? Won't some kids have to be changed around?

Vicki

Old 02-19-2009, 02:23 PM

6 posts, read 7,410 times
southwest durham is a nice place. I live their your right in the middle of everything 20 minutes from raleigh .10 15 minutes from cary. i personally think its a great neighborhood

Old 02-19-2009, 06:01 PM

48 posts, read 38,993 times
Wow.. Thank you SO SO SO much for all of these responses. I am literally taking notes as I read and also studying maps to get my bearings.

To answer some questions that were asked - We are looking for a 3 bedroom house (at least) within 15 minutes of Cary, probably not much more than that. I am trying to research which Cary subdivisions will be less likely to be redistricted.

I have read about areas like Clayton but for everyday purposes (spending time with family, babysitting for my nieces and nephews) it may just be too far for us More expensive areas like Chapel Hill may not really be an option at this point.

Realistically, if we are going to be looking in Cary, we may need to buy a smaller ($150Kish) house because there's a good chance we will end up having to pay for private school or something. I don't want my son to get bounced around from school to school - I'm not sure he'll do well in that kind of environment.

I was trying to find out which subdivisions in Cary are less likely to be redistricted - anyone know how to find this info out??

You've all been such a great help so far. Maybe this is the southern hospitality I keep hearing about

Old 02-19-2009, 06:06 PM

2,034 posts, read 2,858,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NB9540 View Post
Wow.. Thank you SO SO SO much for all of these responses. I am literally taking notes as I read and also studying maps to get my bearings.

To answer some questions that were asked - We are looking for a 3 bedroom house (at least) within 15 minutes of Cary, probably not much more than that. I am trying to research which Cary subdivisions will be less likely to be redistricted.

I have read about areas like Clayton but for everyday purposes (spending time with family, babysitting for my nieces and nephews) it may just be too far for us More expensive areas like Chapel Hill may not really be an option at this point.

Realistically, if we are going to be looking in Cary, we may need to buy a smaller ($150Kish) house because there's a good chance we will end up having to pay for private school or something. I don't want my son to get bounced around from school to school - I'm not sure he'll do well in that kind of environment.

I was trying to find out which subdivisions in Cary are less likely to be redistricted - anyone know how to find this info out??

You've all been such a great help so far. Maybe this is the southern hospitality I keep hearing about

If you are open to a townhouse, you will have a lot more options.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:13 PM

8 posts, read 15,837 times
Housing prices will continue to drop. I'd say you might want to rent for a while in Cary. As prices fall, you should be able to find some pretty nice properties.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:14 PM

48 posts, read 38,993 times
I wouldn't mind a townhouse Charlton Dude - as long as it's got room for us to grow. I don't want to have to move around again after this!!

My son is only 5 but he's already moved 3 times!! This will be the 4th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary