Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 11:25 AM

73 posts, read 295,177 times

Advertisements

Capitol City Lumber will deliver cedar ~$3.50 / linear ft
(only $10 to deliver in wake).

I got me some to build an 18 X 4 herb/flower gardern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 11:27 AM

73 posts, read 295,177 times
Thanks for this post NRG!!

Old 05-07-2009, 06:51 PM

673 posts, read 2,266,886 times
NRG,

Your posts are always inspiring, and this one has to be one of, if not, your best. I believe this is what I will have to do in my yard if I want to add some additional flowers and shrubbery... The rock hard clay is just too tough to fight!

I like Dansdrive's idea of using the downed trees for the border. My hubby used a downed tree for his "compost" area.

I may up investing a little and making the wooden areas similar to yours.

Please continue to post pictures throughout the growing season!

Old 05-07-2009, 06:56 PM

673 posts, read 2,266,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
NRG I was inspired by your raised garden and made one of sorts myself. But I used a couple of downed trees I had on my property. They were about 10 in or so diameter and I cut them up into a 12ft x 17ft garden. Now I am awaiting a truckload of soil mix to fill it. I had cheated a bit and planted some tomato plants that are doing quite well in the natural mostly clay soil with some potting soiled mixed it.

So my raised garden is rustic to match the surrounding with the fallen trees that I put to good use. I figured the time they rot I will have grown approximately 32, 876 fresh tomato's, 19,326 green peppers, and 42,631 corn stocks give or take a few ears in between!

The fill will be 1.5 cubic yards of garden mix and as they say 'one wheel barrel full' at a time! ...and how will I spell relief....'Chiropractor'. But it will be worth it!

I also tried to find the potato'e' spuds with a 'e' on the end to grow but no luck! Only Dan Quayle had those some time ago!

So that is my story of the raised garden project 101! Can't wait to take the 201 coarse in a few weeks! Harvesting will be the 301 level. Canning I project will be a graduate level coarse!
Photos, please, Dan!

Old 05-07-2009, 08:39 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,343,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvitts View Post
Photos, please, Dan!
A-Ha a challenge! I have never posted a photo to city-data so time to learn. Dirt comes tomorrow so I will do some before after shots!

P.S. The after shots will be after the dirt is in the raised garden....not after the several cool ones after the work is done as I am getting 3.5 ton of Crush and Run stone delivered too.....just for the heck of it! Right.....

So I will take pictures and try to upload them. Just as in a Circuit City purchase prior to closing......no guarantees! ...that I can actually post them.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:56 AM

578 posts, read 3,081,572 times
Some more vermiculite reseller information:

* Logan's downtown has it in stock for $24.99 per 4cuft bag
* Atlantic Ave Orchid and Garden has it in stock for $24.99 per 4cuft bag
* Barnes supply in Durham supposedly has it for $14.99 per 4cuft bag but they're currently on a 3 week back order
* HomeDepot and Lowe's (at least in WakeForest) no longer carry it, they only have tiny 8qt bags of Pearlite

Old 05-14-2009, 09:40 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastric View Post
Some more vermiculite reseller information:

* Logan's downtown has it in stock for $24.99 per 4cuft bag
* Atlantic Ave Orchid and Garden has it in stock for $24.99 per 4cuft bag
* Barnes supply in Durham supposedly has it for $14.99 per 4cuft bag but they're currently on a 3 week back order
* HomeDepot and Lowe's (at least in WakeForest) no longer carry it, they only have tiny 8qt bags of Pearlite
I bought a 4 cu. ft. bag at Stone Bros. & Byrd in Durham (across from the old DAP) a few weeks ago for around 18 bucks. They had both fine and coarse in stock, with a decent supply of both.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:37 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Thumbs up Update: Green Beans and Deer problems!

So it has been a while since I've posted an update on my square foot garden. I had some issues getting things started as I think my cheap compost from Loews did not have enough nutrients to support vigorous plant growth. I added some organic Espoma Garden Tone fertilizer and things seem to be going much better now. My onions did not make it so they have been pulled from the garden. The lettuce has already been harvested due to the heat. Right now I have Roma tomatoes, peppers, cucumber, squash, basil, and bush beans. I've been able to harvest quite a bit of basil and today I got my first harvest of green beans. Sadly I am having trouble with guests (deer) eating my plants, so I need to find a way to keep them out. Here are a few pictures of my garden from today.

The Garden

Hoof prints from Deer

The deer decided to relieve my bean plants the burden of having leaves!

My little green bean harvest from today!

Old 06-22-2009, 04:56 PM

225 posts, read 574,927 times
Great pictures - nothing like fresh green beans from your garden

Old 06-22-2009, 05:00 PM

206 posts, read 596,872 times
Question-- I moved into my new place just this weekend. Am I SOL for being able to plant anything this season?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary