Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2009, 06:26 AM

336 posts, read 1,495,704 times

Advertisements

i know. every other day i am on here asking about a different neighborhood. ha! i love chapel hill but have always sort of thrown it to the way side since my husband works in the RTP. it seems like a difficult commute. am i right? would living in colony woods be a hassle for him? are there any back roads, or would be forced to hop on 40?
anyone live in colony woods? are there a lot of children in the neighborhood? any pros and cons?
thank you SO much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 08:22 AM

365 posts, read 1,208,547 times
It's not a difficult commute at all. It's a quick trip to I-40 down Ephesus Church then Farrington Rd., or he could head down Hwy. 54, instead.

There are lots of kids in the neighborhood. Be aware that some kids in Colony Woods are districted to Durham Co. schools since they live over the county line.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:01 AM

1,364 posts, read 6,022,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootie the Brave View Post
It's not a difficult commute at all. It's a quick trip to I-40 down Ephesus Church then Farrington Rd., or he could head down Hwy. 54, instead.

There are lots of kids in the neighborhood. Be aware that some kids in Colony Woods are districted to Durham Co. schools since they live over the county line.
No trip down Hwy 54 or I-40 out of Chapel Hill to RTP is "quick"

Unfortunately, the back road options are limited as well...54 is, I suppose, a back road, however that was how the commute was done before I-40, and there's a reason people had bumper stickers saying "Pray for me, I drive Rt 54"

Chapel Hill's positives come with trade-offs...1, you get less house for your money and 2, your commute to RTP is not going to be tremendously fun.

As with any questions about commute, though, it's a matter of relativity and expectation. If 30 minutes is a great commute in your book, then you would be fine.

I always recommend that before you get serious about a neighborhood or area, drive the commute on a Tuesday morning or a Thursday evening to see what you're looking at.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:11 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,775,391 times
Um, the trip isn't down 54, its Fearrington to 54, and you're on 54 for all of 30 seconds before you get to I-40. The trip on I-40 is breazy.

My husband had a carpool buddy who lived in Colony Woods for a while, and he took this trip many times. The commute should take about 20 minutes.

I like Colony Woods. There's a fair number of children nearby, in neighborhoods off of Ephesus Church.

I think, though, that Colony Woods is on the county line, so if you had kids, they might going to Durham schools (its right on the county line).

Old 03-01-2009, 02:51 PM

19 posts, read 52,817 times
Colony Woods is quite nice. Some technical points: part of it is in Durham County with Durham schools. At the other side of the neighborhood, Colony Woods becomes Briarcliff, but the change (now) is more of a perception than anything else. Originally Briarcliff was high end housing to Colny Wood's less expensive housing. Another short cut to RTP is to turn off 54 on Barbee Chapel, follow onto Farrington, and turn on Stagecoach: you end up on 751 just below Southpoint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary