U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-28-2009, 10:49 AM

12 posts, read 18,110 times
Default Moving to NC from Milwaukee

Hey everyone, I have decided a few months ago that although I love Milwaukee in the summer time, I can't stand the winters anymore and I'm getting out of here after this upcoming fall. I have always wanted to move to San Diego for the weather, but its not worth the cost of living and less friendly people, and potential earthquakes.

It sounds like winter in NC is very mild compared to Milwaukee, I know I can handle the summers because I have been to Florida in July, and it wasn't that bad...and I would much rather deal with that than several weeks of high temperatures around -5 to 0 degrees fahrenheit.

I'm very tolerant of other cultures and ways people live their lives so I know I will be able to make NC my new home. I have been to Raleigh before, but only for 1 day, so you could pretty much say I've never really been there before. I have done a lot of reasearch and it sounds like this is a reasonable place to live, and although the economy is very slow, it is doing better than a lot of the U.S. right now. Let me know if you believe this is a reasonable statement.

I'm 24, single guy, and have no children, I would like to live reasonably close to the downtown area in a decent neiborhood. All I'm looking for is a studio apartment, preferably with a garage, or at least off street parking. Can this be found for $650 a month or less?

I'm very into autocross and formula 1 racing. Sorry, but I absoluety do not like nascar, which I know is incredibly popular in NC, but I don't mind it if others enjoy it.

I also need to get a job, I have been working shipping and recieving for awhile in a warehouse, however I'm trying to get into the apprenticeship program for either sprinkler fitters, plumbing, boilermaker, etc, but I am not counting on that right away because of the economy. What is the current unemployment rate? I am also willing to commute up to 30 miles or a 40 minute drive to get to work if I have to.

How is the cost of living compared to the east side of Milwaukee, if any are famaliar with the area.

Lastly, how would you describe the Raleigh-Durham-Cary-Chapel Hill area and its lifestyle in general terms.

Thanks in advance for info on any one of my many questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 10:52 AM

2,034 posts, read 2,748,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84svoracer View Post
Sorry, but I absolutely do not like nascar, which I know is incredibly popular in NC, but I don't mind it if others enjoy it.

How kind of you to allow me to enjoy my NASCAR.

Quote:
I have done a lot of reasearch and it sounds like this is a reasonable place to live, and although the economy is very slow, it is doing better than a lot of the U.S. right now. Let me know if you believe this is a reasonable statement.
Yes, this is true but it is much slower than it has been over the past several years. It may take two to three times as long to land a good job as it did in the past.

Quote:
How is the cost of living compared to the east side of Milwaukee, if any are famaliar with the area.
I can only comment on our experience from the Northeast. OVERALL, it has been far less expensive for us to live here. It is like night and day.

Quote:
Lastly, how would you describe the Raleigh-Durham-Cary-Chapel Hill area and its lifestyle in general terms.
Cary is simply the greatest place we have ever lived.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlton dude View Post
how kind of you to allow me to enjoy my nascar. :d
lol

Old 02-28-2009, 12:12 PM

7,727 posts, read 9,957,279 times
Quote:
I also need to get a job
Yes, this needs to be first on your list. Unemployment is ramping up here like everywhere else (unemployment offices are experiencing record lines, etc), plus there are all of the people moving here thinking it's not as bad as it is, who will be your competition in addition to the local layoffs. By all means do the research and look into job openings, but do not move here assuming a job will come along right away--bad mistake in these times.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:32 PM

6,060 posts, read 8,799,831 times
Do not move here unless you have a job lined up. Do not expect to get one when you get here, not even a low-paying job. (I'm saying this in a robotic tone.)

Old 03-01-2009, 04:36 AM

6,060 posts, read 8,799,831 times
Also -- 84svoracer wrote:
"...although the economy is very slow, it is doing better than a lot of the U.S. right now."

This is simply not true. We have the eighth highest unemployment rate in the nation. You might want to try the other 42 states that are doing better than we are.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:52 PM

Charlton Dude, what do you most like about Cary compared to the rest of the area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Also -- 84svoracer wrote:
"...although the economy is very slow, it is doing better than a lot of the U.S. right now."

This is simply not true. We have the eighth highest unemployment rate in the nation. You might want to try the other 42 states that are doing better than we are.

Where did you get your information regarding that North Carolina has the 8th highest unemployment rate in the nation. From what I have found, the current WI unemployment rate is 7.6% and NC is 8.7%.

Obviously both have absoluetly terrible job markets, however the other states I was considering were California, and South Carolina, both of which seem to have even worse numbers, especially California at 10.1% in January, plus the cost of living is absolutely ridiculous there in the firts place.

I would like to move to Raleigh at the end of this summer when I will have a lot of money saved up and all of my school loans paid off, but I would like to get a job first doing whatever, even if it takes several part-time jobs. If I am not able to find anything at all then I guess I will have to hibernate in WI for another miserable 5 month winter until circumstances improve, although that is a last resort.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:54 PM

7,727 posts, read 9,957,279 times
Quote:
I would like to move to Raleigh at the end of this summer when I will have a lot of money saved up and all of my school loans paid off, but I would like to get a job first doing whatever, even if it takes several part-time jobs. If I am not able to find anything at all then I guess I will have to hibernate in WI for another miserable 5 month winter until circumstances improve, although that is a last resort.
This implies that Raleigh is the ONLY place to move to? I don't understnad that--you have a lot other choices besides "coming to Raleigh without a job" or "enduring another miserable Wisconsin winter"--such as looking online for jobs and relocating to where you find one, etc...

Old 03-01-2009, 03:06 PM

Yeah, I guess that does imply that, so I should probably rephrase that, because it sounds very close minded now that you mentioned that.

I would like to move to Raleigh, but if I end up somewhere else in the Carolinas or possibly Virginia, I would probably move there.

I can obviosly choose to do just about everything, even stay in WI, but the cold sucks, but not unbearable by any means, I was definately exaggerating how I feel about the winters here.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:13 PM

2,034 posts, read 2,748,129 times
Quote:
Charlton Dude, what do you most like about Cary compared to the rest of the area?
  • Low crime
  • The most beautiful town in the Triangle
  • Many many outdoor activities
  • Parks
  • Sidewalks
  • Bike trails
  • Variety of homes
  • The heavy landscaping
  • The control over nasty signage
  • The amount of great shopping and restaurants
  • The number one location in the Triangle
  • Low taxes
  • A balanced blend of political views, rather than a more closed minded liberal slant that is in other towns/cities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary