Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 07:33 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,245,408 times

Advertisements

There is a Russian language meetup on meetup.com. She might be able to find some folks who have gone through similar problems transferring credits, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 10:17 AM

18 posts, read 40,723 times
I am of Russian origin, but have lived outside of Russia for 20 years now - many years in France, Belgium, San Francisco and now Cary. And I must say I love it here, although I do not work at the moment. I have an MBA from a famous French University, will see if I'll ever use it. But I am very positive and hopeful. Sorry, cannot help her with the medical career, but if she wants to have a friend, you can put me in touch with her.
And to the person who said not to introduce Russian wives together, I am really wondering where your experience comes from?? I have not heard or experienced anything like that.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:08 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
It's a shame the way the system works. She's a well respected OB-GYN in her home country...
What "system" are you talking about? That preference in hiring is given to citizens of the country itself?

Old 03-13-2009, 02:44 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,145,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
What "system" are you talking about? That preference in hiring is given to citizens of the country itself?
I think the OP probably means the challenges of transferring foreign medical credentials. Most doctors I know where were originally credentialed overseas had to repeat their residency in the U.S.

It is also difficult to get some organizations to recognize any foreign degree. I have a degree from the London School of Economics, and for one job I had to pay a certifying organization to prove it was equivalent to an American M.S., and that was without any of the challenges of translation.

Old 03-14-2009, 03:00 PM

4 posts, read 10,135 times
She needs to contact the Offices of Graduate Medical Education at UNC, ECU and Duke and see if she could complete an 'observership'. This is a clinical experience designed to prepare foreign medical graduates for a US Residency program (the ONLY way to get licensed in the United States, unfortunately). There was one at the last med school where I worked. They can help her understand the graduate medical education system and the requirements for foreign grads for getting into the residency match.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:18 PM

3 posts, read 4,653 times
Default Russians Living in the Triangle Area

Can anyone tell me how many Russians/Russian women live in the Triangle Area? My wife is Russian, and we live in Stockton, California. I want to retire in or around Fuquay-Varina because I am a UNC graduate. In order to get my wife to move here, she will need a support group. If you are Russian, please let me know how I can email you. I am not a pervert; I am happily married. But I want to retire here. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Jim

Old 05-21-2009, 07:22 PM

Default How can I email you to learn about other Russians living in the Triangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanochka View Post
I am of Russian origin, but have lived outside of Russia for 20 years now - many years in France, Belgium, San Francisco and now Cary. And I must say I love it here, although I do not work at the moment. I have an MBA from a famous French University, will see if I'll ever use it. But I am very positive and hopeful. Sorry, cannot help her with the medical career, but if she wants to have a friend, you can put me in touch with her.
And to the person who said not to introduce Russian wives together, I am really wondering where your experience comes from?? I have not heard or experienced anything like that.

Lanochka,
How can I email you to see how many Russians are living in the Triangle area?

Old 05-21-2009, 07:53 PM

Default Converting Russian Transcripts in the U.S.

I live in California so I shall be giving you what I know in California. My wife had her transcripts coverted at Fresno State University. You pay a fee ($150.00), and the university will translate the Russian transcripts into an Ammerican transcript issued by that university. My wife's B.A. is in Philology (Philology (from Greek philos, “loving”; logos, “speech”), the study of written records, the establishment of their authenticity and correctness, and the determination of their meaning. In the 19th century the term philology often referred more narrowly to the study of linguistics). They gave her a B.A. They coverted her Masters Degree in Psych to about 2/3rds of a degree.

On another note, my wife has a friend living in Stockton, where we live, who also had her medical degree from Kazan State University. She could not get her degree accepted either. Irina then attended a truncated Nursing Program offered at Fresno State. She is now working as a nurse in Bakersfield. I hope this helps.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:13 PM

39 posts, read 30,597 times
Default I know you had an old post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midcap01 View Post
I'm a concerned husband of a Russian wife who is bored to death in Cary. She is a medical doctor who has practiced mediciene and been in the career field for over 20 years. Getting her overseas decrees recognized in the states has been a constant frustration. We thought it would be easy for her to transfer credits, but it's not. We had plans for her to start out as a nurse and maybe later study and pass the 4-5 steps necessary to become a doctor. The nursing laws are confusing and are not spelled out very well for international nurses.

She has a green card.

I would like to know, medical field or not, if I could get my wife involved with at least some interesting work. I'm afraid it's not going too well with her sitting at home. She needs some sort of support group or some ideas.

Any suggestions? help?
I am not sure if you are still in the area, just hoping you are. There are at least 10K Russian speakers here. She can connect with our free club for Russian speaking ladies on FB, its 2.5 years old group and we have almost 2000 members. http://facebook.com/groups/DevichnikNC

Hope it helps!

Old 02-25-2018, 11:14 PM

39 posts, read 30,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jguffey View Post
Can anyone tell me how many Russians/Russian women live in the Triangle Area? My wife is Russian, and we live in Stockton, California. I want to retire in or around Fuquay-Varina because I am a UNC graduate. In order to get my wife to move here, she will need a support group. If you are Russian, please let me know how I can email you. I am not a pervert; I am happily married. But I want to retire here. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Jim
Its about 10k. Many families from Bay Area including ours. If you are still interested reaching out russian speaking ladies in Triangle, feel free to find us http://facebook.com/groups/DevichnikNC

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary