Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2009, 08:32 AM

16 posts, read 68,380 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

There's a very good chance we'll be relocating from Colorado to Raleigh for my husband's job this summer. (June, most likely.)

I'm concerned that we'll be too late to get my daughter registered for a good preschool in the fall. (she'll be 4) Is this likely, or are there enough quality preschools that we might be able to find an opening that late?

If we will be too late for preschool, are there other options for classes for her? Art classes, community theater, gymnastics, etc?

I'd appreciate any input - I've never been to the area (And thanks to the economy, won't be able to make a very long visit prior) and truly don't know what to expect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 09:25 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,148,908 times
There are multiple good church-based preschools and some good private ones too. The church-based ones are generally cheaper (facility is subsidized) and don't always include religious instruction. Basically you'll need to waitlist for multiple ones, but generally there are open slots to be found. The Carolina Parent web site has a good list of all kinds of programs in the area. The Triangle Mommies web site is good for information and people may be able to steer you to programs with open slots.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:01 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,034,535 times
I would agree with everything J-lurk said! each town around raleigh proper will have many different preschool options. Where I am in wake forest there are not as many, most are church based, but you can call and get your daughter's name on the waiting list. When I moved from cary to wake forest (they are about 45 minutes apart) I moved in may and put my daughter on all of the waiting lists at that time. I ended up getting into one, which was fantastic. So, carolina parent is very very helpful because they have a list of the different preschools and often have their websites, which will help you as well.

The tough situation for you is that you don't want to pay for the application fee for a preschool in north raleigh if you plan on living in apex, for example. It makes it tough for sure! I know *most* of the Y's in the area also have preschool programs.

Good luck!

Leigh

Old 03-01-2009, 10:33 PM

14 posts, read 23,300 times
Based on our experience from last summer - the simple answer is no.

We visited possible preschools on our house-hunting tour in June (private schools only, no churches). All of them were able to take my kids (2) in. We did not decide until we moved here early August, and we could still get our first choice.

It was my general impression that the schools were "hungry" for more students, so I think the simple answer is no and I cant see what should have changes that in a year.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:02 PM

16 posts, read 68,380 times
Default Good to Know!

Thank you, all. It's reassuring that we'll probably be able to find a place for her even if we get there later than the norm.

Once I know where we'll be living, I'll look into specific schools. It's so hard when everything is up in the air! (But at least I'll have milder winters to look forward to.)

Old 03-02-2009, 02:41 PM

426 posts, read 1,490,176 times
We relocated in November 2007. I probably contacted about 20 places (private, church and organizations like the Y) and I could not find DS a spot. I put DS's name on the waitlist but unfortunately nothing opened. Currently he is attending a wonderful church based preschool and will be starting K in July. I enrolled my DD at the same preschool (siblings had first dibs) in January. The program only starts in September and all slots have been filled. Most preschools had their enrollment in February. Be prepared that it might be difficult to find a slot. Definately make it a priority as soon as you know what your living arrangements are going to be.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:54 PM

835 posts, read 3,978,206 times
Read an article lately -in the N&O or maybe 1 of the local TV station website-that preschools are shedding students like the economy is shedding jobs- daily. A couple of interviewees said they were cutting hours to avoid layoffs of teachers. Unless things turn around significantly you shouldn't have any problems.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:11 AM

223 posts, read 566,660 times
I think the article was referring to daycares facilities which often inlcue a preschool component, not traditional preschool programs.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:22 AM

451 posts, read 1,653,962 times
We moved here last August and didn't have a problem. Every place we looked at (~5-6) had openings. We did not look at church-based offerings, as we already knew that those would be full.

There are a lot of activities for kids if you don't get into the pre-school of your choice, but it's good to get her into a program, not just for her, but for you too. It will help you meet other mothers that can fill you in on the area.

If no one mentioned it already, some people find TriangleMommies a good resource.

Best of luck with your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary