Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 02:17 PM

106 posts, read 319,355 times

Advertisements

Our ragdoll blend cat has gone in to heat and it reminded us we are interested in breeding her one time before having her spayed. She is a ragdoll/siamese/birman blend. We would like to mate her with a ragdoll male. We are not looking to sell the kittens but just want our children to go through the experience of birthing and raising kittens. Since she is not pedigreed and we are just doing this for fun, we hope to find a male she could have a "date" with without having to pay stud fees. Does anyone know anyone who might be willing to have their boy meet our girl?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 02:25 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
Sorry, but have your cat spayed - please. The local shelters are full of cats, many of them euthanized daily.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:35 PM

Yes, but many have asked us for a kitten if we ever bred ours, and our experience with the shelters is it is nearly impossible for families to adopt-they want the cats to be closed in and quiet. It appalls me, to be honest, that I could adopt a child but not a cat. So thanks for your advice, but there is a kink in the system and many cats are being euthanized unnecessarily because shelters won't let active families adopt.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:36 PM

185 posts, read 575,550 times
WOW. This actually would be a great life lesson and experience for your kids........ in irresponsibility

Old 03-01-2009, 02:42 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,617,023 times
Maybe your friends could adopt one of these cats instead:

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/search/pet?query=free+cat

So many other things I could say.. that would only get me in trouble...

Old 03-01-2009, 02:48 PM

467 posts, read 1,774,247 times
Please do not do this. It is easy to adopt from shelters - go to WCAS and pay the fee, take home a cat. Voila - new cat. There are way too many unwanted animals, and this is an incredibly irresponsible act at this point. To imply that shelters want to make sure that owners are responsible, so you'll breed because you don't care - wow......

Old 03-01-2009, 02:54 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,245,408 times
The Complete Bengal Cat Website

This link is about another breed of cat but it definitely applies to all breeds.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not breed your pet-quality cat. First of all, no owner of a quality male ragdoll stud will let it breed with your cat. Breeders are of two camps: the responsible breeders who breed to show and improve/ retain breed standards and the just do it for the cash people. Therefore, one group would tell you to get lost and the other would charge you.

You have not had your cat tested for genetic disorders. Ragdolls are predisposed to Cardiomyopathy and Polycystic kidney disease. Without testing both your cat and the stud, you don't know you won't be breeding cats that won't fall over dead of heart problems before age 2.

Also, you don't know how to care for a pregnant cat. How great of an education experience would it be for your kids if your cat died during birthing?

Please, look into this further. Those who are familiar with animal breeding and animal rescues are out there begging to give you more information before you do something rash.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:05 PM

677 posts, read 1,902,760 times
Please do reconsider. As cry884 says, I am sure you do not want to risk genetic disorders in your kittens. We have two healthy altered ragdoll males and love them dearly, but we also know the heartbreak of losing one to cancer last year after treating him for 6 years for HCM. No reputable breeder will offer a stud to breed "for fun" and if they are not reputable, just think what you are risking.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:21 PM

Wow, can't believe the responses. Too many assumptions being made, including that I don't know how to deal with a pregnant cat-have adopted two in my lifetime and successfully helped them through pregnancy and birth. Have guided friends through the same with their pregnant females. You missed another part of my message that shelters are not so quick to adopt which is part of why many cats are euthanized. I know many families who could adopt human babies but were turned down by shelters to adopt a cat. Shelters have gotten Nazi like in their selectivity of who is acceptable and families with children are at a disadvantage.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:18 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,245,408 times
Ardita,

I hope we didn't offend you and I sincerely apologize if we made assumptions. But your post said you have a blend cat that you want to breed once and give the kittens away. I don't agree that shelters would rather euthanize a cat than give adopt it out. They do have restrictions, one of which is that you must spay or neuter the animal. If you say you plan to breed it to make more kittens, they will certainly turn you down.

As I said, please look into this further. I run a group with a thousand pet owners and I simply cannot tell you how many times a week I hear someone say they regret breeding their pet or regret getting their pet from a breeder that doesn't test for genetic problems. Some of these health issues come up when the pet is 2 - 5 years old. I've seen the heartbreak that causes, not to mention the financial issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: