Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2009, 09:11 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times

Advertisements

I enjoy buying local to support the economy here in the Triangle because more of the money stays right here in our community. Whether it is eating out at a local mom and pop restaurant or buying vegetables at the farmer's market from local growers we can all do our part to support local business. In many cases supporting one local business has a ripple effect that in turn positively effects other local companies. Here is a great example from an email I received today from the owners of the Big Boss Brewing Company which makes beer right here in Raleigh.

"We here at the Big Boss world headquarters do everything in our power to work with as many local suppliers as we can for the materials we require to make, market, and distribute our brews. Our tap handles are made in Garner with inserts from Cary, bottle labels are printed in Durham, shirts are printed in Raleigh and hats are embroidered in OBX. We just received a few pallets of case boxes that are now made right here in the Capital City and we couldn't be happier with the with the final product. Not only are they made here in Raleigh but they're made from 100% post consumer fiber. I thought I would include that as we are very proud to support our local community as we receive the same support from you all. "

Moral of the story: Support the local economy ... drink more beer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 09:22 AM

360 posts, read 995,748 times
I love Big Boss Bad Penny beer, there really is nothing better in my opinion! Unfortunately it is usually the first beer to sell out at the Pour House, which is the only bar I go to. I also agree that it is good to buy local when you can, but it's also good to at the very least try to buy American if possible. We got in this economic mess by outsourcing jobs. Unfortunately if given the choice between buying American and paying 10% more or buying Chinese at a discount, the majority of so called Americans will pick the cheaper product not considering that ultimately this decision will hurt them in the future. I say bring back the tariff system, it worked fine, why we got rid of that I'll never know....

Old 03-03-2009, 09:44 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,465,730 times
I would pay 10% more to get items that will last more than a year or two. Just about everything in Wal-Mart is made in China and that is some of the cheapest made stuff you can buy (you really do get what you pay for). I bought a package of combs from Wal-Mart, all of varying sizes and they were so thin and cheaply made, I'm afraid to use them! I decided it wasn't worth it, so I spent a few extra cents and bought a package of combs from Target made somewhere else (can't remember where right now), and the combs were definitely thicker and I'm not afraid to use them. I remember when people used to say the Chinese made quality stuff for less money, but that just isn't the case anymore.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:05 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,148,908 times
Hey, I have an idea! How about if we limit this discussion to local food and local beer? National trade policy is for a different forum .

On the local food front, Celebrity Dairy is having another Open Barn this weekend from 12-5 on Saturday and Sunday (Mar 7 & 8). The weather should be beautiful this weekend. @The Inn at Celebrity Dairy - (919) 742-5176 -Chatham County, North Carolina

Also, the Carolina Farm Stewardship Association Farm Tour is coming up on April 25 & 26 from 1-6 each day. They are already selling buttons for it. Carolina Farm Stewardship Association I just got an e-mail that they are looking for volunteers. If you volunteer one day then you can tour farms for free the next day! Also, anyone who volunteers before March 22 gets entered in a drawing for $25 gift certificates to Weaver Street Market.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:32 AM

360 posts, read 995,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
Hey, I have an idea! How about if we limit this discussion to local food and local beer? National trade policy is for a different forum .
Yeah but it's all interconnected, the same mentality that keeps people going to walmart is the same mentality that keeps people from appreciating what is made at the local level.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:35 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,465,730 times
I think the biggest misconception people have is they save more if they don't buy local, because the local companies are inflating the prices for no reason. That just isn't the case. I'd much rather buy from the Farmers' Market in the Triangle (any city, doesn't matter), because I know those farmers grew that food and will take my money and put it into their farm. If I buy from a grocery store, yes I might get a "deal", but where did the food come from? How long did it sit in a warehouse before I got it? And most importantly, where does my money really go? I say we start buying local whenever we can and we sustain our local economy/companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary