U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-05-2009, 11:39 AM

23 posts, read 56,625 times

Advertisements

The kids and I are planning to grow some produce this year. I LOVED NRG's raised bed thread and am relying on that to get the garden started. But I wondered what grows best here--and whether I can grow any of these:

strawberries
blueberries
sweet peas
bell peppers
broccoli

What are y'all planting? Where can I get plants? Is there a good local nursery?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 12:21 PM

111 posts, read 350,601 times
Default Fruit trees?

Can anyonle also suggest types of fruit or nut trees that grow well here?

Old 03-05-2009, 12:25 PM

892 posts, read 2,028,757 times
I have had luck with strawberries and blueberries. My bell peppers never got terribly big but every other pepper variety grew just fine. Never tried broccoli or peas.
I so wish an avocado tree would do well here!

Old 03-05-2009, 12:44 PM

1,878 posts, read 3,314,361 times
Blueberries grow great! I remember my dad grew a bunch b/c my brother and I had to pick all of them He also did fruit trees. I remember there being peaches, can't remember the other fruit, among lots of veggies.

As soon as my boyfriend ever gets to close on his house we will be planting a yard full of produce and I can't wait!

Old 03-05-2009, 01:00 PM

60 posts, read 141,751 times
Default trees

pears, especially, apples, and peaches did real well here. Gardening is a great idea for the kids -- imop!

Old 03-05-2009, 01:11 PM

111 posts, read 350,601 times
Default pomegranate

okay, I think it's technically a bush not a tree but do these grow well here?

Old 03-05-2009, 03:08 PM

9,081 posts, read 18,849,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sometimesy View Post
The kids and I are planning to grow some produce this year. I LOVED NRG's raised bed thread and am relying on that to get the garden started. But I wondered what grows best here--and whether I can grow any of these:

strawberries
blueberries
sweet peas
bell peppers
broccoli

What are y'all planting? Where can I get plants? Is there a good local nursery?
You can grow all the things you listed above and more. The best time for cool weather greens is in the fall or early spring before it gets too warm. Cool weather plants include things like broccoli, lettuces, spinach, kale. There are also certain types of peas that can be grown during cool months. You can also plant things like garlic in the fall and onions in early spring. Plants like tomatos and peppers and cucumbers do well here too but you need to wait to plant them in the spring after danger of frost has passed (around April 14).

You can also grow strawberries and blueberries in this area. Blueberry plants like acidic soil so you will want to read up on how to prepare a proper planting bed. With strawberries it is best to pinch off the blooms during the first year to promote growth and and you will be rewarded with a larger crop in the second year. Come April you will be able to purchase a lot of seedlings at places like Home Depot. In the meantime I suggest you go to a local garden center and pick their brains as they are usually very helpful with info about what you can grow and when. They will also be able to sell you seeds and seedlings including things that you can be growing right now. I don't know where you are located but I suggest you go to a local garden center to gather info to help you get started. Below are a few links to places you can visit or websites you can read for more info.

Logan's Nursery (Very Helpful Staff that can tell you what to plant and when, they also sell a wide variety of seeds and seedlings). I think they sell straberry plants as well.

Homewood Nursery ~ I just got an emial from the saying they will be selling blueberry plants this year.

Finch's Blueberry Nursery ~ probably the best source for local blueberry plants

You can also get herbs and other seedlings at the State Farmers market. I bet there will be tons of places selling stuff there come April.

If herbs are your thing you can check out the Herb Fest in Wake Forest from April 17-26.

Sometimes you can even find people located in your local area selling plants on craig's list like this person who is selling strawberry plants (http://raleigh.craigslist.org/grd/1059922078.html - broken link)

FWIW, I don't think I would bother with things like apple and peach trees or fruit trees in general. I'm sure some people have them, but I don't think it is common in this area because the climate in the peidmont region of NC is not the best for those types of trees. It is more common to find orchards near the mountains of NC. Besides, the best performing fruit trees are not very pretty IMHO because to get nice fruit you have to do a lot of pruning so the tree spends energy on the fruit and not on growing limbs.

Good Luck!

Old 03-05-2009, 03:13 PM

256 posts, read 440,965 times
Just as long as I can grow my Tomato and Basil Plants. I am Good!

Old 03-05-2009, 03:27 PM

447 posts, read 1,057,612 times
One year I did nothing but hot peppers and I was overloaded with them. I did a few kinds of Chile peppers, Habanero, Hungarian Wax, and of course Jalapeno. From a 4 by 4 raised bed I was pulling hand fulls of peppers each day. I also had a lot of luck with radishes, tomatoes, and lettuces.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:24 PM

892 posts, read 2,028,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCinNC View Post
Just as long as I can grow my Tomato and Basil Plants. I am Good!
If only mozzarella grew on trees!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary