Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2007, 02:49 PM

3 posts, read 13,185 times

Advertisements

Hi

I am planning to move to an area near the RTP with my family (hubby and 2 children).. We are looking for advice on good schools and child friendly areas to live in. I have read and heard that Wake County is good -can anyone give me any further info - a bit more detail on specific areas and schools. Initially we need to find a good preschool and elementary shool.

ps any more british asians out there in NC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 07:17 PM

577 posts, read 1,901,340 times
Another NC Factoid is the highest growing population in NC is Asian, Growing at 30%.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:39 PM

83 posts, read 352,292 times
Check out www.ncreportcard.org for some good reports on schools. You can also get information on schools at www.wcpss.net.
The Raleigh area is quite a mix of people from all over the world.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:46 PM

133 posts, read 710,816 times
Default Good to know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC man View Post
Another NC Factoid is the highest growing population in NC is Asian, Growing at 30%.
Thanks for sharing. We figured w/ the strong Tech sector in the RTP area, the culture/population would be much more diverse than other parts of NC, or the South for that matter. That was definitely one of the big draws for us!

Old 03-22-2007, 11:44 AM

306 posts, read 1,306,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manni.sohal View Post
Hi

I am British (but not Asian) and I have lived in the Triangle for five years. In my time here I have met many British Asians (Punjab descent I think). There is a thriving 'Indian' district in the Eastern side of Cary (Chatham St): grocery markets (with lots of items imported from England), restaurants and even a Bollywood cinema (Galaxy). It is not pristine and new like many parts of Cary but it is cool.

I am not sure if the British Asians reside in a particular area of the Triangle. Anecdotally i would say Cary/Morrisville and South Durham. Additionally, Durham has two Sikh Gurdwaras that may be of interest to you.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:09 PM

98 posts, read 637,114 times
I have never heard the term 'British Asian' before - does is it refer to Indians or Pakistani's born in England? or does it include Chinese and Koreans who were born in England too?

Old 03-22-2007, 01:36 PM

113 posts, read 364,796 times
in the uk we used the term asian in reference to ppl from india, pakistan, bangladesh etc. ppl from china, korea, japan and so on, we refered to as oriental.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:18 AM

7 posts, read 28,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manni.sohal View Post
Hi

I am planning to move to an area near the RTP with my family (hubby and 2 children).. We are looking for advice on good schools and child friendly areas to live in. I have read and heard that Wake County is good -can anyone give me any further info - a bit more detail on specific areas and schools. Initially we need to find a good preschool and elementary shool.

the public school system is a mess in Wake County and will likely only get worse. The administrators and school board members are delinquent in gettng htier acts together. The classrooms are crowded and many portable trailers are used to house students. You are best to look for private schools such as Ravenscroft for your best option to have consistency, quality education and personal attention to students in need of extra help or advanced challenges.

In my neighborhood in NW Raleigh elementary students havebeen reassigned four times in 9 years. That is very disruptive to young children. The school administators have failed over the past decade to recognize the need to plan ahead and now they are starting to panic as they look to the future, the problem is that may of the current students will not benefit from the planned spending and it is likely that todays spending will build schools that will not be necessary in 10 years---so they will be shuttering these facilities before thier useful life is over.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:04 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob8808 View Post
the public school system is a mess in Wake County and will likely only get worse. The administrators and school board members are delinquent in gettng htier acts together. The classrooms are crowded and many portable trailers are used to house students. You are best to look for private schools such as Ravenscroft for your best option to have consistency, quality education and personal attention to students in need of extra help or advanced challenges.

In my neighborhood in NW Raleigh elementary students havebeen reassigned four times in 9 years. That is very disruptive to young children. The school administators have failed over the past decade to recognize the need to plan ahead and now they are starting to panic as they look to the future, the problem is that may of the current students will not benefit from the planned spending and it is likely that todays spending will build schools that will not be necessary in 10 years---so they will be shuttering these facilities before thier useful life is over.
Kids seem to go with the flow, it's the parents that have the problems. Yes, the school system got behind, thankfully they have a plan to make up for it. I really doubt that the new schools will not be needed in 10 years. Do you have any sources for this or is it just chicken little assuming the sky is going to fall?

The schools are crowded, but not to the point that education is suffering. I still don't get the angst over the portable classrooms. They are modern, roomy and clean with full facilities and computers. We aren't talking single wides here.

Yes, Ravencroft is a wonderful school, and private schools in general are a great option for some kids. Others thrive and do well in Wake County schools while others need homeschooling. Isn't it lovely we each have options?

Old 03-29-2007, 01:25 PM

549 posts, read 2,384,087 times
Sir Ben Kingsley is a famours British Asian. Freddie Mercury (a.k.a.Farrokh Bulsara) was a British Asian as well. Isn't the British Asian population about 4% or 5% of the UK population? Can't wait to visit England again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary