U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 07:45 AM

66 posts, read 123,855 times
so, how do you get rid of the crabgrass after it has started to grow in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 07:52 AM

1,542 posts, read 3,514,302 times
the best time to pull crabgrass and weeds for that matter is after a rain. weeds come out a lot easier.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:53 AM

9,030 posts, read 17,960,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPmode View Post
You get to experience the joy of pulling it by hand!

Old 03-10-2009, 09:09 AM

4,684 posts, read 3,401,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by playnice View Post
We put ours down mid-Feb and have loads of green grass...for now. Help me to help the op out here, the bag DOES NOT say pre-emergent but __________ (darn memory).
The bag itself will probably say crabgrass control or preventer or at least mention crabgrass somewhere before you get to the fine print. Halts and Dimension are the marketing name for the two main pre-emergents you'll see. Halt's is from Scotts only as far as I know, but lots of companies use Dimension. The bag should say one or the other somewhere on it - they have to list the active ingredients.

There's also Tupersan which is very expensive but will allow you to grow grass from seed after putting it down ... which you don't want to do in the spring because new grass in the spring won't survive the summers here anyway. You usually have to go out of your way to find this, but I figured I'd mention it just in case there's some lying around at Home Depot or something. No need to pay the extra money for this; go with the first two I listed instead.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:10 AM

4,684 posts, read 3,401,099 times
Quote:
Diesel fuel and a match?

NOTE - this is not actual advice. I take no responsibility if you actually try this. But if you do, please post pictures. Thanks!

Old 03-10-2009, 09:13 AM

8,216 posts, read 11,562,962 times
Quote:
There are sprays that claim to act against grassy (as opposed to broadleaf) weeds. I have found them to be only marginally effective, and usually require multiple applications. (They wound but do not kill.) There are also dedicated crabgrass killer sprays, any my experience with them is that they can be pretty aggressive - not much different from Roundup. Even so, I have found it's hard to fight crabgrass too effectively once it's growing, unless it's very isolated. Otherwise, tolerate it this year, prevent it next year.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:47 AM

2 posts, read 6,058 times
Have a degree in Turf from NC State and you want to put crabgrass pre-emergent down before the dogwoods bloom but not too early. I am applying mine this weekend. Generally speaking crabgrass germinates when soil temperatures reach 55 degrees.
Also, the weed and feed should be applied about a month later in late April. You want to apply this when the weeds are actively growing but the temperatures are less than 90 degrees for a high.
The difference between weed and feed and crabgrass control is that crabgrass control is for "weedy grasses" and is a pre-emergent meaning it lays down a barrier so the crabgrass dies when it germinates. The weed and feed is used for broadleaf weeds and in this case winter annual weeds.
Make sure you read the labels for your particular turf, and calibrate your spreader properly.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:51 AM

2 posts, read 6,058 times
There are products you can purchase at hd or lowes that will get rid of growing crabgrass. Sometimes they do require multiple applicatios and are generally sprays. Pulling by hand also works well but depending on the amount of infestation can take a lot of time. Also you tend to break up the soil when you pull it out and this can actually churn up more weed seeds and you still have the same problem.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:39 PM

8 posts, read 10,445 times
rule here in Raleigh is Valentines day. for the first pre-emergent and spring fertilizer. This year was weird as winter lasted another month

Old 03-21-2010, 06:09 AM

1,227 posts, read 3,189,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
I put mine down last weekend as well. You can always pull it up individually if you see a few sprouts coming up.
Yeah, I tried that a couple years ago in my 'going green' phase. It was a losing battle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary