Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 12:10 PM

201 posts, read 611,290 times

Advertisements

I too was intrigued by the tankless water heaters and thought I would seriously consider going to one when the time came. The OP cited a report by Consumers Union on tankless, I read it and like the OP I would now have real reservations about making the change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 09:46 PM

4,159 posts, read 4,872,068 times
Default Do your homework on tankless....

Like any technology, there are pro's/con's and other factors to consider before going tankless. A few things such as family size and the availability of adequate gas supply and/or electrical service to properly support and operate the unit are important.

Also consider the reliability of the selected system and manufacturer, plus the availability of replacement parts on a Sunday afternoon if something breaks which means you have no hot water.

I looked into tankless several years ago and decided the risks and associated costs of the unit and installation far exceeded any potential benefits of going tankless.... at least for our family.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:44 PM

835 posts, read 2,876,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinalkulp View Post
One of the things wrong with having it in the attic (unfinished) is that in the winter it sits up there and freezes and has caused hot water issues (lack of). Ours was placed right up against an outside wall by the builder. After a lengthy winter of hot water problems, they're finally coming out this week to build an insulated closet around it. Only time will tell next winter if this will solve the problem.
Nope...closet made no difference, nor did replacing the valve and thermostat on the hot water tank. Plumber is making about their 20th trip out on Friday.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:22 AM

202 posts, read 949,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieM View Post
I too was intrigued by the tankless water heaters and thought I would seriously consider going to one when the time came. The OP cited a report by Consumers Union on tankless, I read it and like the OP I would now have real reservations about making the change.
What did this report state was bad about tankless?

Old 04-01-2009, 11:17 PM

240 posts, read 1,179,610 times
In my opinion . . . . . having a water heater in the attic is a time bomb that will explode in 10 to 14 years when the water heater fails (and they ALL do for a variety of reasons). It is my belief that many homes have the water heater in the attic for two reasons: cost and convenience.

If the water heater is in the attic then a special room or closet does not have to be constructed for this equipment if there is not a garage or a suitable location in the garage. When the water heater is in the attic, it usually is in close proximity to the upstairs bathrooms to reduce the wait time for the heated water to arrive for bathing (the largest hot water demand). (especially important for filling garden tubs)

We work for several insurance companies each year making repairs after attic water heater or air conditioner failures and floods. The average insurance claim for the water damage, mold remediation, drywall and flooring replacement, repainting, etc. is in excess of $10K. It seems to me that there are too many problems associated with attic placement of this equipment.

It is also my opinion that tankless water heaters are the best thing since duct tape! We've have one in my personal home and in our rental properties and really enjoy the savings and convenience. A tankless unit costs three times the cost of a traditional water heater. Most folks don't replace a water heater until it fails; so they are buying one-third the total cost of a tankless heater anyway. With tankless, you never run out of hot water as long as you have a water supply and natural gas or propane. You do not heat water all day, you only pay to heat what you are actually using; and there is not a storage tank somewhere that will ultimately leak.

In my personal home we checked the energy costs and within four years saved enough to offset the additional two thirds the cost for the difference in equipment and installation. From now on, my family will ALWAYS have a tankless water heater.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:45 PM

835 posts, read 2,876,785 times
[quote=J. When the water heater is in the attic, it usually is in close proximity to the upstairs bathrooms to reduce the wait time for the heated water to arrive for bathing (the largest hot water demand). (especially important for filling garden tubs)[/quote]

Unless the water has to go from the attic all the way down to the crawl and then back up to the bathrooms which is the case with ours. What were they thinking??

Old 04-02-2009, 08:05 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinalkulp View Post
Unless the water has to go from the attic all the way down to the crawl and then back up to the bathrooms which is the case with ours. What were they thinking??
Wow.

I'm thinking they plumbed the house before they determined the location of the water heater.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:46 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,813,458 times
I am the proud owner of the definitive attic water heater story. Ready???

In July 2005, the expansion tank (the blue canister at the top of the tank that is supposed to relieve excess tank pressure) on our attic-located hot water heater developed a pin-hole sized stress crack. A fine stream of water shot out of the leak under pressure, with the water hitting the attic floor about 5 feet outside the perimeter of the tray (with a float, shutoff, and alarm) that was supposed to catch any leaks. The water found its way into the ceiling and walls, and eventually got all the way down to the main floor of the house.

The insurance claim ran about $30K. We lost the entire contents of our master bedroom (including everything in both closets and ALL of the furniture), 50% of the carpet on the second floor, and nearly all of the hardwood flooring on the main level (nearly 1800 square feet). The house was inhabitable for 5 weeks. After those 5 weeks in an extended stay hotel at the insurance company's expense we moved back in, only to have to leave for ANOTHER week in October while the floors were refinished.

Although the insurance company was PHENOMENAL, and all of the vendors they hired did a great job, the house was never the same. We no longer live there.

Our water bill for that month rose a grand total of 5 DOLLARS. Just a few hundred gallons of water.

Oh, I almost forgot-the leak and damage took place during a 2 day period when my wife and I were at WakeMed having a baby. We left for the hospital on Sunday night, and came home Tuesday afternoon. We discovered the damage upon walking back into the house after leaving the hospital with baby, stopping at the kennel to pick up the family dog, and running up to RDU to pick up my in-laws. Try to imagine walking into your house with a 2 day old baby and finding water running down your staircase like a river, and giant chunks of drywall falling out of your ceilings.

My daughter spent the first 5 weeks of her life NOT in the nursery we spent months setting up, painting, and decorating, but in the Marriott Residence Inn in Regency Park. My wife's entire maternity leave was spent outside the house we thought we were bringing baby home to. What should have been a wonderful time for our family was turned into an absolute nightmare.

Still think it's OK to have your water heater in the attic??? IT'S NOT.
Do you think the tray it sits in will help you? IT WON'T.

You have 3 choices. Move the tank, sell the house, or risk going thru what we did. I would not wish what we went through on my worst enemy.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:56 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
I am the proud owner of the definitive attic water heater story. Ready???

In July 2005, the expansion tank (the blue canister at the top of the tank that is supposed to relieve excess tank pressure) on our attic-located hot water heater developed a pin-hole sized stress crack. A fine stream of water shot out of the leak under pressure, with the water hitting the attic floor about 5 feet outside the perimeter of the tray (with a float, shutoff, and alarm) that was supposed to catch any leaks. The water found its way into the ceiling and walls, and eventually got all the way down to the main floor of the house.

The insurance claim ran about $30K. We lost the entire contents of our master bedroom (including everything in both closets and ALL of the furniture), 50% of the carpet on the second floor, and nearly all of the hardwood flooring on the main level (nearly 1800 square feet). The house was inhabitable for 5 weeks. After those 5 weeks in an extended stay hotel at the insurance company's expense we moved back in, only to have to leave for ANOTHER week in October while the floors were refinished.

Although the insurance company was PHENOMENAL, and all of the vendors they hired did a great job, the house was never the same. We no longer live there.

Our water bill for that month rose a grand total of 5 DOLLARS. Just a few hundred gallons of water.

Oh, I almost forgot-the leak and damage took place during a 2 day period when my wife and I were at WakeMed having a baby. We left for the hospital on Sunday night, and came home Tuesday afternoon. We discovered the damage upon walking back into the house after leaving the hospital with baby, stopping at the kennel to pick up the family dog, and running up to RDU to pick up my in-laws. Try to imagine walking into your house with a 2 day old baby and finding water running down your staircase like a river, and giant chunks of drywall falling out of your ceilings.

My daughter spent the first 5 weeks of her life NOT in the nursery we spent months setting up, painting, and decorating, but in the Marriott Residence Inn in Regency Park. My wife's entire maternity leave was spent outside the house we thought we were bringing baby home to. What should have been a wonderful time for our family was turned into an absolute nightmare.

Still think it's OK to have your water heater in the attic??? IT'S NOT.
Do you think the tray it sits in will help you? IT WON'T.

You have 3 choices. Move the tank, sell the house, or risk going thru what we did. I would not wish what we went through on my worst enemy.
Dude,

If I ever run into you I'm buying you a drink. That story was crazy!

I think I will make sure my next home has the water heater in the garage!

Old 04-02-2009, 09:17 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Dude,

If I ever run into you I'm buying you a drink. That story was crazy!

I think I will make sure my next home has the water heater in the garage!
Set 'em up again, barkeep!
I got the second round!

You know, I hear good things about the Marriot/Regency...

ouch...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary