Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 09:55 AM

14 posts, read 99,270 times

Advertisements

We are in N Raleigh, and my 3 yo daughter wants to see baby chicks hatching out of their eggs. Any ideas? Or just live already hatched chicks would be fun as well. I figure there have to be a lot of chickens around here!

Thanks,
Diana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 10:09 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,854,678 times
I did a Google search for Chicks near Raleigh, but, umm, the results weren't really on topic . . .

Old 03-10-2009, 10:11 AM

8,771 posts, read 10,174,111 times
Somewhere in Franklin county, in between Youngsville and Wake Forest, there is a petting zoo. Last time I was there was August of 2005, and there were chickens there. I know they have had baby chicks in the past.

Assuming it's still in business, you should consider checking it out

Old 03-10-2009, 10:26 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,120,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Somewhere in Franklin county, in between Youngsville and Wake Forest, there is a petting zoo. Last time I was there was August of 2005, and there were chickens there. I know they have had baby chicks in the past.

Assuming it's still in business, you should consider checking it out
It was the Triangle Metro Zoo, and I'm pretty sure it is out-of-business.

Normally I would have said you should go to NC State Farm Animal Days, which are held in April. Kids could hold chicks there. However, this year it is canceled due to budget cuts, so I'm a little stumped. My best guess is that you can find a farm with chickens on the Carolina Farm Stewardship Association tour, which will be the weekend of April 25-26. Carolina Farm Stewardship Association

Old 03-10-2009, 10:35 AM

8,771 posts, read 10,174,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
It was the Triangle Metro Zoo, and I'm pretty sure it is out-of-business.

Normally I would have said you should go to NC State Farm Animal Days, which are held in April. Kids could hold chicks there. However, this year it is canceled due to budget cuts, so I'm a little stumped. My best guess is that you can find a farm with chickens on the Carolina Farm Stewardship Association tour, which will be the weekend of April 25-26. Carolina Farm Stewardship Association
I just googled that in, it closed 3 years ago. That's sad, but I'm not too surprised.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:39 AM

467 posts, read 1,770,286 times
You might try Hill Ridge Farm in Youngsville - they have chickens, among other things, and I'm sure they must hatch at some point!

Welcome to Hill Ridge Farms

Old 03-10-2009, 11:10 AM

8,583 posts, read 15,952,010 times
What about an egg incubator?

You could get fertile eggs off Craigslist and
plan ahead how you will give away the chicks.

She could mark the days and watch them
grow some after they hatch.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:36 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,725,303 times
With Easter coming up, I'm sure a lot of farmers have chicks they sell for the occasion (NOT that I approve of this practice--what do people do with the chickens when they're no longer cute chicks ?) But my point is that you picked the right season for looking. I wonder if asking at the Farmers' Market could get you leads?

Old 03-10-2009, 01:17 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,943,177 times
If you can't find anything closer, you might try Spence's farm in Chapel Hill. I'd give them a call, they used to have an afternoon where you could go there and your child could get a ride on a pony/horse, and then poke around and look at chickens, goats, rabbits etc.

Spence's Educational Farm in Chapel Hill, NC providing quality services for children in a beautiful and natural setting.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:17 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,100,228 times
We hatched a chick a couple of years ago in NJ. Had the chicken for about two years. She was pretty smart for a chicken. Sadly, something got in our yard and killed her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary