Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 06:38 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,641,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
It can be pretty annoying when you're concentrating and studying for a test and they knock on your door. Or, when you're in the middle of a five mile run (my meditation time) and they stop you in the street on the pretense of asking for directions and then ask, "Has anyone ever talked to you about God?" They got an earful that time.
Oh my....I've never even heard of this one!! Oh wow....that is just dishonest as well as rude.

You know, it's pretty safe to say that every adult in the United States has heard of Christianity and knows where to find a local church if they are so interested.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:59 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,071,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
Who says they have the best of intentions? I certainly don't know that. And you are building a strawman argument....who has said they'd rather have a criminal at their door? We are speaking of missionaries, not crime rates, they have nothing to do with each other (that I know of).

However, I think it is rude to be interrupted in my own home when I have not indicated in any way that I am interested in what they are pushing...be it religion or magazines. It becomes old quick when it is happening regularly at dinner time, when working from home, in the middle of a project, etc etc etc. If was only 3 times in my entire life I wouldn't be too upset either....but it's every other week for the most part.

Our subdivision has put up 'no solication' signs....this has stopped the sales calls, but for some reason the religous groups think it doesn't apply to them.

PS: Mormons are Christian....they beleive Jesus Christ is their saviour, just like you do.

Are you a Mormon, or a Christian? Both have different beliefs. They are not the same. The founding of the Mormon Church and their beliefs for salvation are entirely different from Christiananity.

Anyways, the last couple of posts seem like if the worst part of your day is someone asking you about God, it doesnt seem like that bad of a day. At the least, it sounds like such a touchy group of people who could even get a "hello" at them during the day would flip out at others for 'interrupting' their daily routines.

Old 03-25-2007, 07:33 PM

842 posts, read 3,223,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
Are you a Mormon, or a Christian? Both have different beliefs. They are not the same. The founding of the Mormon Church and their beliefs for salvation are entirely different from Christiananity.
What? They believe in Christ, and that he's the son of God, and they call themselves Christian. How is that not Christian? There are LOTS of variations on Christianity that have substantial differences in belief. What gives you the monopoly on the word Christian?

Please enlighten me....which of the following also wouldn't be considered Christian?
Jehovah's Witnesses?
Catholics?
Eastern Orthodox Christians?
Are there others that I should know about that aren't Christian?

You know what...I've just decided that your particular sect is not worthy of the name Christian either. Your beliefs about Christ obviously do not coincide with my beliefs. Consider your Christianity label revoked.

(Note...Muslims also believe in Christ, but they do not believe he is the son of God, but rather just a prophet. Therefore, they are not followers of Christ, and therefore not Christian)

Old 03-25-2007, 08:36 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,071,735 times
Actually Mormons are not Christian. They claim to be a sect of Christiananity, but they are not. The teachings of the Mormon church are quite different from historic Christian teachings and theology.

Mormons believe in multiple gods, while Christian believe in one God. Also the plan of salvation, and the 'afterlife' of Christian beliefs and Mormon beliefs are significantly different.

I highly encourage you to just google "differences between Mormons and Christians" or something along those lines.

Mormons have their own book and teachings, separate from the Christian Bible. Mormons also believe in a prophet, Joseph Smith,the founder of Mormonism.

I do not criticize Mormons and I certainly dont mean to be demeaning to them, that is not my intent, but I know if there is a practicing Mormon on this board he will support the above statements.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:02 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,733,000 times
Default No Solitictor Signs Alternatives

And here are alternatives to the "No Solicitors" sign:

I have a friend who has a sign on her door that states "We do not open the door to strangers." On occasion when people know she's points to the sign and walks away.

I have another friend who has a sign on her door that says "If you are taller than this sign I'm not buying it. Politics, Religion, etc." She puts it at about the height of a middle schooler. She wants the neighborhood kids to still solicit her because she supports the schools.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:20 AM

359 posts, read 1,834,842 times
ROFL, PDX mom, that is pretty good, about the sign.

jbognar,
Carolina Native is correct. LDS, (Mormon), JW and Orthodox Christianity are not the same. They have some very different foundational beliefs, but too much so to delve into here. It does make an interesting study for comparative religions, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary