U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-13-2009, 08:18 PM

317 posts, read 1,119,631 times

Advertisements

Any ideas in the Raleigh area preferably? Some are 5yo textbooks so I assume they'll be best in the recycle bin. But I also have a lot of good (some even hard cover) novels by good authors. I just don't need them in my house any more. Does anyone know of a good use for all of these books I want to get rid of? I hate to just throw them in the recycle bin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 08:20 PM

296 posts, read 713,504 times
Good Will will probably take them. There are several drop off centers around the area.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:21 PM

69 posts, read 161,805 times
Default get cash for books

Go to Cash4Books.net - Sell Used Books and sell your books. If you put in the ISBN code, you'll immediately know the price it will go for.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:27 PM

10,593 posts, read 22,648,902 times
YOu can sell them on ebay or Amazon and I have sold some of the more valuable ones I had in my collection.

I also found a used book store that would give me credit towards other books in her store. My daughter likes Nancy Drew and we got a couple of that series for her and a couple others for her to read.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:30 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,892,753 times
Ideas:

1. Donate them
2. Sell them to a used bookstore
3. Use them for art projects (there are a ton of art projects that call for the use of old books).
4. Donate them to others who want to use them for art projects

Old 03-13-2009, 08:30 PM

2,276 posts, read 3,976,873 times
11 Ways to donate, sell or give away used books (http://ezinearticles.com/?11-Neat-Ways-to-Donate,-Sell-or-Give-Away-Used-Books&id=178378 - broken link). They also mention an organization that takes old textbooks.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:42 AM

324 posts, read 1,058,231 times
try the library

Old 03-14-2009, 08:42 AM

1,264 posts, read 1,834,122 times
powells.com will allow you to sell books to them - type in the ISBN and then they give you a credit. They do take textbooks - I sold a statistics book that was way old for the most money out of all my books. The credit can be used to buy anything. They also throw in the cost to ship the books to them.

Otherwise, you can take books to some used bookstores around the triangle and get credit or paid for them.

If you have any children's books, you can donate them to a local elementary school (check with the librarian first) or to the Raleigh Rescue Mission - they promote parent/child reading so any/all childrens books are welcome - again call first.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:01 AM

50 posts, read 117,130 times
Perhaps if you're interested in trading those books for different ones, I would also suggest PaperBack Swap: Trade Books for Free, Online Book Club, Exchange Books I've been using the website for years and even if you don't want more books right now, you can list these books and give them to people who'd like to read them and you'll get "credit." Therefore, if you want a book some other time and you find it listed, you get it essentially "free." All you do is pay postage when you ship out your books. To me it was worth it because a lot of my paperback books were worth less than the shipping price when I tried amazon or similar!

I've shipped out used older books in the past and been lucky enough to pick books sent to me that are practically new! Sometimes it is really worth it and the community on there is great. I find it comes in handy pretty often. Usually if I'm trying to free up space, I'll give the books a month or two on PBS and if they don't get requested, then I donate them. But demand is especially high during the beginning of school semesters when students are looking for books (I got all of my lit books on there during my final years).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary