Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 08:27 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,582,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rad69 View Post
I'm looking to get TWC RR but I dont know what speed I need to get. How many Mbps do I seed to stream video?
You should be able to get a new customer price in the range of $24.95/month for their 2nd fastest speed. That's what I've had for the past 10 months and it's fine for streaming video. After a year, the regular price will be something like $46.95 or $49.95, but I'll be switching back to AT&T before my promo runs out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 08:31 AM

271 posts, read 698,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJingle View Post
Road Runner

Great service but lousy price

Ditto Here as well!

Old 05-12-2009, 09:55 AM

75 posts, read 252,901 times
I use (and have used) TWC for the past 5 years. I currently subscribe to the top tier RR Turbo for $44.95/month (locked in for two years). Speed bursts up in the 15-17Mbps range. With all the talk about TWC sucks, I have great experiences with them, besides their "chronicly" busy customer service phone lines.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:58 PM

228 posts, read 799,623 times
I use Verizon DSL, pay $43 for 8Mb/s (that's 800 kilobytes per second). Recently i've had some issues of the router locking up, but it's been working fine for almost a year now. When you look at speed, you should actually measure it so you know how fast sustained downloads are. And it depends on the website (obviously), and if you are doing file downloads or streaming. Streaming uses a faster packet methodology (UDP) than downloads (TCP).

Anyway for us our connection is 'dear god it's fast'. We would be playing two online games (world of warcraft), and streaming a video at the same time, and it would keep up. For me i would prioritize cost, uptime, and actual baudwidth in making your decision.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:45 PM

25 posts, read 90,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I have earthlink high speed cable internet (It is provided through Time Warner Cable). Not sure if is still an option but when I moved here in 2005 you had your choice of RoadRunner or Earthlink provided through time warner. A little known secret is that if you call Earthlink directly to sign up for the service you save a few bucks on the monthly fee. Time Warner still comes out to set up the connection and you are still billed by Time Warner but by calling Earthlink Directly my monthly internet fee is only $41.95.

I also have the cheapest cable package through time warner and only pay $12.25 a month for that. My total monthly cable and internet bill is $55.61 . With the basic cable you only get about 20 channels but you do get ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, and PBS in High Definition. Works for me.
I have the same package -- however, a few weeks ago NBC stopped beaming in HD for me. I called TWC and they said that on the "Basic" they only guarantee that the channels will come through, SD or HD. If my HD has stopped then it is because NBC isn't beaming strong enough through in HD anymore for me. Does that sound logical or did I just the wrong operator?

Old 01-03-2010, 04:47 PM

25 posts, read 90,556 times
Wow, how did you manage AT&T UVerse?

I have been waiting for either FiOS or UVerse since they announced it and still not available in Cary.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:42 PM

11 posts, read 32,842 times
I have att 3.0 for 32.95 per month. It is pretty fast for me. I have twc and pay 29.95 per month for basic cable. Phone att local and unlimited long distance. Total att bill is about 83 dollars.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:02 AM

17 posts, read 58,783 times
given the neighborhood differences, it would be helpful if posters could also mention their region - I'm still waiting for Uverse or some other real competitor to come into the Southern Durham area (near Streets at Southpoint).

Old 01-05-2010, 07:50 PM

22 posts, read 52,072 times
We have Earthlink through TimeWarner cable and we are happy with it. I think it was $25 the first 6 mos and $42/mo after that. We are in the Southwest Durham area.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:53 PM

43,040 posts, read 76,558,928 times
AT&T contractors are coming through MacArthur Park and Giverny in Cary digging up lines and checking splices to prepare for UVerse in the area.

Might consider it.
Consumer reports ranks it very high, with Verizon Fios.

But, I have had TWC Roadrunner since it came top town, now with Turbo, and don't have any huge problems to report.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary