Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 04:33 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,394,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielChang View Post
Interesting. I find that most people are uncomfortable with murder, not just Caryites.
Maybe a poor choice of wording, but what I meant is that if Durham had 6 murders in a year, people would be cheering. I don't want Cary or any of the other great towns around here to start thinking a certain amount is alright. Zero is the only good number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 08:18 PM

519 posts, read 981,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
Maybe a poor choice of wording, but what I meant is that if Durham had 6 murders in a year, people would be cheering. I don't want Cary or any of the other great towns around here to start thinking a certain amount is alright. Zero is the only good number.
No offense, but when the crime of murder does go down, that is a good thing, especially in a city such as Durham that has gotten a bad rap. The amount of money and energy that has gone into that city to make it better is quite promising to the results they have had. And why are we only concerned about the crime of murder? What about rape, assault, theft, etc.? Isn't ANY crime a destruction of the moral fiber of a society?

It just seems to me that you enjoying talking down other cities in this area while trumping up Cary. Yet if ANYONE here talks down about Cary, you take great offense to it. I love Raleigh, it gives my fiancee and I everything we want. And we can't stand Cary. Everyone has their own opinions on where they live and I doubt many people would live in the place they do if they hated it. (Of course, in these economic times, choice may not be possible).

(Finally, you want to talk pork? The Republicans put in over 900 earmarks in the stimulus package. And this bailout debacle was created on Bush's watch. Bush was in power for 8 years. Obama has had less than 100 days). Whew, I feel better.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:38 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,394,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingyouth View Post
No offense, but when the crime of murder does go down, that is a good thing, especially in a city such as Durham that has gotten a bad rap. The amount of money and energy that has gone into that city to make it better is quite promising to the results they have had. And why are we only concerned about the crime of murder? What about rape, assault, theft, etc.? Isn't ANY crime a destruction of the moral fiber of a society?

The original article was about the death of an individual in which the possibility of an incident was there. It was not about rape or any other situation, so that is what this particular thread was about.

Quote:
It just seems to me that you enjoying talking down other cities in this area while trumping up Cary. Yet if ANYONE here talks down about Cary, you take great offense to it. I love Raleigh, it gives my fiancee and I everything we want. And we can't stand Cary. Everyone has their own opinions on where they live and I doubt many people would live in the place they do if they hated it. (Of course, in these economic times, choice may not be possible).
I am the one who started the thread about having a concern about rising crime in Cary. Hello! That means I am talking down my own town.

Quote:
(Finally, you want to talk pork? The Republicans put in over 900 earmarks in the stimulus package. And this bailout debacle was created on Bush's watch. Bush was in power for 8 years. Obama has had less than 100 days). Whew, I feel better.
As this is not the political forum, I did not post anything about the pork the POUTS eagerly approved after stating he would not, so I am confused why you are posting anything about it.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:47 AM

635 posts, read 3,091,971 times
Wink To be honest, one can't be too surprised.....

Quote:

[snip]

As this is not the political forum, I did not post anything about the pork the POUTS eagerly approved after stating he would not, so I am confused why you are posting anything about it.
I agree, this is not a political forum, and "Like my grandma always said: You should never talk politics or religion in polite company."

It is almost always guaranteed to derail the conversation or debate onto a theological or philosophical tangent.

But that being said, I'll apologize once again in advance that I am truly not trying to be argumentative, but only point out that one can not be too surprised to receive politicized comment on a tagline such as:

Quote:
Obama's 4 favorite foods - PORK PORK PORK PORK
and a "status" of:

Quote:
Watching the world laugh at the bumbling and stumbling Obama

You are absolutely entitled to your opinion and political position, but I'd respectfully suggest that if anyone wants to avoid political diatribes, don't troll for them

Cheers,
Al

Old 03-18-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
The original article was about the death of an individual in which the possibility of an incident was there. It was not about rape or any other situation, so that is what this particular thread was about.

As you know by now, any topic trails off into other things. So stating that Cary is superior to Durham, Raleigh, Chapel Hill, etc. based solely on one measure of crime is incomplete. If the measure of murder was the only good indicator of quality of life, why does anyone live anywhere but Cary? What makes people want to live in other wonderful cities in this area rather than the town of Cary?

I know what this thread is about; I have been reading since I was 2. You don't have to smack your head in the attempt to act holier-than-thou when all you seem is juvenile. I was just trying to extend the conversation, especially since when areas are in such economic times as we are in now, non-violent crimes tend to increase, so a person who lives with high-priced items in his/her home may not want to live in an area with high theft/bulgary. And not every town that has low murder rates also has low non-violent crime.

I am the one who started the thread about having a concern about rising crime in Cary. Hello! That means I am talking down my own town.

Rising crime? You just told me we were ONLY talking about murder. You just talked down to me about discussing other crime rather than just murder, yet now you bring up "crime" as a grouping for all acts against others?

And yes, you are talking about the town of Cary, but you always rate it against other cities in the Triangle and exclaim on how Cary is so much better than any other city in the Triangle. While the statistics of crime is one indicator of where to live, there obviously has to be other indicators or everyone would live in Cary.

You are confused about your own status? If you feel the need to have such a status displayed on a secular forum, then I feel it is within my rights to comment on it. You obviously want people to understand your beliefs, so I figured I was well within my rights to display mine. (Once again, the Republicans had over 900 earmarks in the bill. Since the POTUS and Democrats did not have enough votes to counter any filibuster, he had to sign the bill as it was to get what he wanted as well. I guess you don't want 40% of the bill to go to tax cuts. Silly me.)

Old 03-18-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger View Post
I agree, this is not a political forum, and "Like my grandma always said: You should never talk politics or religion in polite company."

It is almost always guaranteed to derail the conversation or debate onto a theological or philosophical tangent.

But that being said, I'll apologize once again in advance that I am truly not trying to be argumentative, but only point out that one can not be too surprised to receive politicized comment on a tagline such as:

and a "status" of:

You are absolutely entitled to your opinion and political position, but I'd respectfully suggest that if anyone wants to avoid political diatribes, don't troll for them

Cheers,
Al
I am sorry that I led this thread off-topic into politics, Al. It was not my wish. I just held it all in as long as I could.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:13 PM

447 posts, read 1,717,833 times
I have been living in my house for 5 years now, I would like to report that no dead bodies have been found in work sites in my neighborhood. Last year I heard that a dead body was found in a neighborhood in Cary. I find this shocking and appalling, as a city folk I hope Cary comes down hard on that crime because I don't want such things happening in my neighborhood. Statistically, my high crime city area has a 100% lower rate of dead bodies in worksites than some Cary neighborhoods.

The other city folk in my neighborhood heard a gunshot last night. The police were called so it could be logged. The message board set up for my non-HOA neighborhood has been abuzz about it today, we even got a report of a car being broken into. Discussion is that we will try and keep on top of this and begin reporting to the police heavily so that the problems can be taken care of. In other words we are ignoring it and making excuses instead of doing anything.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:47 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,164,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori1961 View Post
LOL wow this whole post kind of left me speechless. One murder and the whole town of Cary is in an uproar?
Oh, come on. It's not the whole town. And it's not even a true "uproar." It's one person looking for yet another excuse to draw attention to his beloved Cary. By expressing "concern" about the murder rate in Cary, he can entice others to jump in and point out how low it really is. So they've done all the heavy lifting for him and he can't be accused of hyping Cary.

Quote:
I do have to say that there are a few on here who think that Cary is heaven on earth and well....it aint! Just my two cents....
Ya think?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary