Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 02:08 PM

418 posts, read 906,639 times

Advertisements

I have done quite a bit of research on the board so thank you!! My questions are.

1. What type of natural disasters should I be concerned about? Hurricanes?

2. Looking for walkable neighborhoods/development in Cary or Morrisville...please recommend/suggest for further research.

3. Is airport noise a concern in the aforementioned areas?

4. Top three things you like/dislike about the area

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 02:17 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Hurricanes, floods, ice, snow, tornadoes .... we get a little of everything, except maybe earthquakes, mudslides and volcanoes.

You can find airport noise info here:
RDU Aircraft Noise Program

Top three likes:
Friendliness of the people
Climate
Accessibility to mountains and ocean

Top three dislikes:
Mid-summer heat and humidity
State government political corruption
Lack of really good in-state college football

Old 03-16-2009, 02:48 PM

1,040 posts, read 3,602,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Lack of really good in-state college football
Seriously, both UNC and NC State are both on their way up and will eventually challenge for the BCS Championship. We all cannot be SEC Schools, but if you have been to a game they are all pretty intense.

As for the OP:

1. I would not really worry about any natural disasters. Hurricanes are once in a blue moon. They will happen, but very rarely

2. I loved my community in Oxxford Hunt. -> Oxxford Hunt Home Page
(can I continue to say to not discount Durham, or is that becoming a broken record? )

3. Back in Jersey my backyard backed up to the Garden State Parkway... The airplanes are really nothing compared to that. I hardly notice them, although I am not in any flight path that I am aware of)

4. Likes: Weather, All the activities available, Convenience to airport
Dislikes: The roads, No pro sports, need for more bike routes or side walks

Old 03-16-2009, 02:54 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,791,093 times
LOL.... the Hurricanes are terrible. Don't believe the hype. Go Penguins!

Old 03-16-2009, 02:55 PM

Thanks to the two of you for responding so far....

Old 03-16-2009, 03:00 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeinBoston View Post
I have done quite a bit of research on the board so thank you!! My questions are.

Nothing much, really. We get whacked with the tail of a hurricane every few years, but all in all, you have to be obsessed to really be concerned. You prep when it seems to be time to prep.
We have drought concerns, but usually it is not at "disaster" level.
I probably worry most about late frosts knocking off the peach and strawberry buds.

Quote:
2. Looking for walkable neighborhoods/development in Cary or Morrisville...please recommend/suggest for further research.
Along the Cary Parkway there is some walkable suburbia, if you choose wisely.
Stone Creek Village, Rigsbee Farm, Whitebridge, and a few other neighborhoods near High House Road and Davis Drive in Cary.
Morrisville's Grace Park is in an area of growing retail and services.
Consider Weatherstone, The Battery, Hampstead, Trappers Run, Wood Hollow, Highland Oaks Edgehill Farms along High House Road Corridor for walking to stores and services.

Quote:
Yes, particularly much of West Cary and most of Morrisville.

Quote:
4. Top three things you like/dislike about the area
I love the climate and geography; proximity to beaches and mountains.
I came from chronically depressed areas in PA, and feel that for the long term the economy is more diverse and likely more resilient here.
I like the "Big Small Town" feel of the Triangle.

Dislikes?
Endless battling over schools in Wake County.
I do miss the rushing mountain streams and babbling brooks of Central PA. But it is hard to call that a "dislike." More a "miss it."
Mostly content, however.

Quote:
Thanks.
Oh, sure!

Old 03-16-2009, 03:03 PM

Based on a the responses, thus far...I like what I hear.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:13 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
Quote:
None really. I've only lived here for 3 years, but it seems like hurricanes may be the only issue. Since Raleigh is inland a bit, any hurricane that passes by will probably just dump a lot of rain. I've seen the tree damage to Hemlock Bluffs Nature Preserve that a bad hurricane can do. Not sure which one did it, but I'm guessing that it was about 10 years ago. Can any locals comment?

Quote:
Walkable. . . . . does that just mean a neighborhood with sidewalks, or do you mean a neighborhood with restaurants and shopping that you can walk to? There are strip malls at nearly every major intersection, and most of them have a pizza joint, dry cleaner, Chinese take-out, cell phone store, etc.

Quote:
Yes. We rented an apt in Morrisville when we first moved to the Triangle due to its proximity to RTP. We would not buy a house there, or in some parts of Cary (e.g., near Prestonwood) or Raleigh (e.g., near Brier Creek), due to the airplane noise.

Quote:
4. Top three things you like about the area
1. Having 4 seasons again. We came from TX
2. Having trees again. We came from TX
3. How nice the people are, being 3 hours from mountains and ocean, not as crowded as Dallas. . . . oops, that was more than 3.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:15 PM

We walk alot...walking to parks/pools would be ideal for the kids...but at least lots of sidewalks to walk the dog, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
None really. I've only lived here for 3 years, but it seems like hurricanes may be the only issue. Since Raleigh is inland a bit, any hurricane that passes by will probably just dump a lot of rain. I've seen the tree damage to Hemlock Bluffs Nature Preserve that a bad hurricane can do. Not sure which one did it, but I'm guessing that it was about 10 years ago. Can any locals comment?

Walkable. . . . . does that just mean a neighborhood with sidewalks, or do you mean a neighborhood with restaurants and shopping that you can walk to? There are strip malls at nearly every major intersection, and most of them have a pizza joint, dry cleaner, Chinese take-out, cell phone store, etc.

Yes. We rented an apt in Morrisville when we first moved to the Triangle due to its proximity to RTP. We would not buy a house there, or in some parts of Cary (e.g., near Prestonwood) or Raleigh (e.g., near Brier Creek), due to the airplane noise.

1. Having 4 seasons again. We came from TX
2. Having trees again. We came from TX
3. How nice the people are, being 3 hours from mountains and ocean, not as crowded as Dallas. . . . oops, that was more than 3.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:38 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
As far as airport noise goes look at a map and extend the runway centerlines out. For general reference they are oriented NE to SW. Don't buy a house in those areas, say out to about 5 miles. I used to live near a Naval base (Oceana in Virginia Beach) and it was ridiculous. I'm on the NE side of Raleigh now and the loudest noise is the wind blowing thru the trees. I love it.

I wouldn't even give hurricanes a second thought here. By the time they reach inland this far they are just a nuisance. For the poster who said snow and ice are on the same page as a natural disaster you are crazy! I'm sorry people but 3" of snow isn't cause for 3 days of school cancellations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary