Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 07:24 AM

28 posts, read 80,982 times

Advertisements

Personally, I am very excited about the development! I will be moving from Atlanta to Raleigh for law school... Campbell is relocating to downtown Raleigh. I am very pleased with the building, the staff and the apartments. I am ecstatic about being able to afford "luxury" living on a student budget. Having lived in Atlanta most of my life and Virginia Beach/Chesapeake for a year, these apartments are highly affordable. IMO, the complex will add a lot of young professionals to the area and from what I hear, a lot of law students. I'm a big fan of Raleigh and so thrilled about becoming a resident!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 07:45 AM

881 posts, read 2,253,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzumbro1 View Post
Personally, I am very excited about the development! I will be moving from Atlanta to Raleigh for law school... Campbell is relocating to downtown Raleigh. I am very pleased with the building, the staff and the apartments. I am ecstatic about being able to afford "luxury" living on a student budget. Having lived in Atlanta most of my life and Virginia Beach/Chesapeake for a year, these apartments are highly affordable. IMO, the complex will add a lot of young professionals to the area and from what I hear, a lot of law students. I'm a big fan of Raleigh and so thrilled about becoming a resident!
So is the current rent different than is what on their website?
Studio - $788-$813
1 Bedroom - $858-$933
1 bedroom loft - $900

I know it's a matter of opinion but as someone going back to grad school and won't be taking out as nearly as much loans as the average student I still can't afford those prices for two years. So I'm not sure "highly affordable" is what I would use from a grad student POV, esp. when I know there are other options that are cheaper but still a nice place to live. It would be much different if I was working full time, so don't get me wrong it seems like a cool place to live...

Old 04-23-2009, 08:10 AM

387 posts, read 1,028,501 times
I like the look of this building; I think it is a very respectable looking structure, for what it is. And let's be honest, this is an apartment building for young, middle class professionals in Raleigh, NC. This isn't Central Park West we're talking about. It's an attractive building -- the windows are interesting, and I don't see vinyl-anything anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post

Bishop's Park IS technically in a suburban area (even though it is considered "urban" by today's standards), so I am not as surprised by its design even though I still don't care for that sort of thing.
This is your opinon. The word suburban is very ambiguous. Some would argue that Bishop's Park is in a urban area due to its proximity to downtown Raleigh and the high level of pedestrian and transit access.

Quote:
Plus, I guess I just have high expectations for areas where land is at a premium because they're not making any more of it. If something new is going to go up, it is going to be there for a long time and it better be good!
I'm thinking that this is an appropriate building for this location. This is Raleigh we are talking about. This isn't the middle of Chicago or Washington DC. There aren't 100,000 jobs within a two mile radius and that fact remains that one of the biggest attractions that draws people to the Triangle is the affordability of single family housing in areas offering a less than 30 minute commute. That is the prevailing culture around here.

Plus, land for redevelopment in and near downtown Raleigh is hardly scarce. There is plenty of additional land available for this sort of thing. Look, they are building a community of much less dense housing across from Krispy Kreme. I noticed that some of the condo units for sale in Hue are going for $160K -- there's hardly a premium there. So for what it is, I think this is an attractive, well-placed building and a happy addition to that area.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsualum2004 View Post
So is the current rent different than is what on their website?
Studio - $788-$813
1 Bedroom - $858-$933
1 bedroom loft - $900

I know it's a matter of opinion but as someone going back to grad school and won't be taking out as nearly as much loans as the average student I still can't afford those prices for two years. So I'm not sure "highly affordable" is what I would use from a grad student POV, esp. when I know there are other options that are cheaper but still a nice place to live. It would be much different if I was working full time, so don't get me wrong it seems like a cool place to live...
My apologies if I made it seem as though it were affordable to the average student. I am lucky enough to have disability income from the VA and paid education. For my situation, 712 Tucker is ideal. As a female, I am very discriminate about where I live because of safety concerns, thus I am willing to sacrifice other things to live where I feel safe and secure.

I am very excited about the development and I don't think 712 is having a hard time filling up the apartments either...its becoming a little competitive!

Old 04-23-2009, 02:57 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
I'm glad the building is there to bring more and different housing options to the area, but just like the newly designed Micky D's on the corner of Peace and Boylan (don't even get me started on that!), it still disappoints me. It is really just a matter of opinion and taste, I suppose!
Interestingly, the McDonald's architecture (if you can call it that) is more urban but the site plan is completely Suburban and TOTALLY inappropriate development for the neighborhood. It's all about the car. It even violates the city's own Peace St. plan. So, in that regard, we are the same. I HATE THAT MCDONALD'S.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:52 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,308,348 times
Quote:
I took a few shots just over a week ago. I am extremely disappointed with how they handled the visible backside of the building - very cheap-looking IMHO.
I actually don't mind the back side of the building too much. Most of the back side of the building is obscured by the buildings on Johnson Street. Even if they don't redevelop Johnson Street, the existing buildings still sit in front of the lower half of the Tucker building. Personally, I think they were pretty smart to do it that way. I can't imagine you'd want a nice big picture window in your apartment looking out to a brick wall, or the top of another building.

The rest of the building looks pretty nice from the street.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:17 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson919 View Post
I like the look of this building; I think it is a very respectable looking structure, for what it is. And let's be honest, this is an apartment building for young, middle class professionals in Raleigh, NC. This isn't Central Park West we're talking about. It's an attractive building -- the windows are interesting, and I don't see vinyl-anything anywhere.
I never said the building wasn't respectable. It's fine, just underwhelming for such a prominent block of a desirable area. If you knew me, you'd know that I certainly don't expect Central Park West in Raleigh. The scale of this building is fine. But I do like to see a little creativity sometimes. It adds flavor.

I do take issue with the middle-class professionals thing though. I am that demographic they are targeting, and all I could comfortably afford there (and maintain my current lifestyle) is a tiny studio. I currently rent a 900 sqft full 1br (although not a luxury unit) in the same area for less than the cheapest studio. I would not consider renting something smaller for more money to be affordable for me.

Quote:
This is your opinon. The word suburban is very ambiguous. Some would argue that Bishop's Park is in a urban area due to its proximity to downtown Raleigh and the high level of pedestrian and transit access.
We can agree to disagree here. The area around Cameron Village and Bishop's Park, from what I can tell, seems to have always had a suburban layout. I might be wrong, since I do not know what was there before the current complexes. By today's standards these areas may now be considered urban by some, but historically these areas would be considered suburban in nature. The areas that we consider to be suburbs today were once referred to as exurbs. We have just expanded our acceptable travel distance due to cars.

Quote:
Plus, land for redevelopment in and near downtown Raleigh is hardly scarce. There is plenty of additional land available for this sort of thing. Look, they are building a community of much less dense housing across from Krispy Kreme. I noticed that some of the condo units for sale in Hue are going for $160K -- there's hardly a premium there. So for what it is, I think this is an attractive, well-placed building and a happy addition to that area.
I would definitely say that any land in the Glenwood South area is sold at a premium (relative to prices in the rest of the metro area). I know that Blount Street Commons is a less dense development, but it will be denser than the neighborhood historically was, considering that number of large single family mansions in that neighborhood at one time. As for Hue, IMHO, $160k for 650 sqft ($250 per sqft) seems like a premium. It might be a small premium compared to NYC, but a premium nonetheless. In Raleigh, you normally don't see those kind of prices per sqft unless you are in an exclusive area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Interestingly, the McDonald's architecture (if you can call it that) is more urban but the site plan is completely Suburban and TOTALLY inappropriate development for the neighborhood. It's all about the car. It even violates the city's own Peace St. plan. So, in that regard, we are the same. I HATE THAT MCDONALD'S.
I couldn't believe it when a friend told me he had to drive completely around the building to go through the drive-thru. With the new site plan, you are actually required to drive across the path from the front door to the sidewalk! It's now no longer pedestrian unfriendly, but instead it is now pedestrian hostile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
I actually don't mind the back side of the building too much. Most of the back side of the building is obscured by the buildings on Johnson Street. Even if they don't redevelop Johnson Street, the existing buildings still sit in front of the lower half of the Tucker building. Personally, I think they were pretty smart to do it that way. I can't imagine you'd want a nice big picture window in your apartment looking out to a brick wall, or the top of another building.

The rest of the building looks pretty nice from the street.
To me the disconnect on the backside comes from the siding (can't tell if it's vinyl or something else) alternating with stucco (EIFS?), not the glass bricks. I realise that this is a hallway, so the glass bricks make perfect sense. I understand why they used the siding (cost), but it just creates a disconnect for me because the pattern does not appear on the rest of the building in the same way maybe it will on the yet to be finished portion and things will balance out.

I don't think the building looks bad, just more of the same. I certainly don't hate it (can't say the same for the the McDonalds).

And for anyone who will be living there, I hope you like it! It is a great area to live. I really, really hope that they properly insulated the outside walls better than the suburban complex I used to live in, because there will be plenty of noise from the steet level on busy nights.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:42 AM

387 posts, read 1,028,501 times
Quote:
I do take issue with the middle-class professionals thing though. I am that demographic they are targeting, and all I could comfortably afford there (and maintain my current lifestyle) is a tiny studio. I currently rent a 900 sqft full 1br (although not a luxury unit) in the same area for less than the cheapest studio. I would not consider renting something smaller for more money to be affordable for me.
Is there anyone even living in this building yet? Just because Crossland has posted rental rates on its website does not mean that the units in this building will rent for those amounts. Rent will be determined by the market, not by Crossland. This is simple economics.

Quote:

I would definitely say that any land in the Glenwood South area is sold at a premium (relative to prices in the rest of the metro area).
That is correct. The point I was making is that, relative to other markets, land in the Triangle is cheap and abundent. Even ITB land.

Look, I think that for what it is, this building is appropriate for Glenwood South. It will be occupied by young professionals who work in Raleigh or RTP. Rent will be determined by market conditions. Jobs here pay less than they do in NYC or DC or Chicago and there are fewer jobs located downtown. There is a prevaling suburban culture here. There are relatively few constraints on construction activity. These are market conditions and they will determine the rent paid by occupents.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:54 AM

There are people living there, as of the last week in March. From what I hear, the apartments that have been released for renting have been filling up fast. I am moving in the second week of May and I am thrilled! The rates posted on the Crosland website do not account for the 2 months free rent (current special) that is prorated over the term of the lease, i.e. market rent 1050 x 12=12,600. 2 months free = 2,100. 12,600-2,100 = 10,500/12 = Rent $875/month.

I am not thrilled about the amentities opening until later. However, I am excited about being the first resident in my apartment!

Old 04-29-2009, 10:30 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
I am glad you are thrilled about living in the city center on Fayetteville St. I couldn't be happier for you.
However, I don't agree with you regarding its relationship to Glenwood South. There's great things happening on Fayetteville St. but it has some catching up to do.
That said, let's all hope the entire downtown area continues to grow and thrive so that we have one continuous urban neighborhood experience from Glenwood all the way to the city center and beyond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary